Lt. Commander
# 21
04-05-2011, 12:02 PM
i have 2 SCI Boffs with Dampening Field 1 (cmdr. ability)
with 2 sniper rifles i can't exploit as fast as those 2 expose, and they expose pretty much the whole NPC Mob at once.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
I find that STO has some of the worst ground combat in any MMO I've ever played.

I agree with many of the points the OP has. It is a grind, of the worst sort. When you go on a mission, and you have 35-40 dead Jem'Hadar to your name, my general feeling after a mission like that is:

"Why didn't I just launch a few torpedoes into the planet and wipe them all out before I beamed down?"

At Vice Admiral, I started ignoring ground combat, except in the Featured Series, because you can't in order to finish the series. But in places like B-Tran, if I got a ground mission, I simply said "Good luck with your invading <insert baddies here>. I'm off to go blow up ships because it's faster and not nearly as boring.

Now, ground combat in Age of Conan? Now THAT was some fun ground combat!
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-05-2011, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't call it unplayable. It's just tedious.

With my next respec after I get enough merits on my VA main, I'm emptying all my ground skill points to put them into space combat. All I play anymore is space PvP anyway, so I might as well max my skill level in it. I only plan on playing ground combat in any new content (i.e., the next feature series), but that's months away. Besides, my purple mk xi gear and resilient background trait should at least allow me to not die too much, and at least get me through that part of the next new episodes, I assume.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadeComplete
What people don't get about ground is that you the captain need an Expose Weapon [Dual Pistols, Full Auto Assault, Auto targeting assault] and an exploit weapon [Sniper, Split beam]
Nah - I give my BOs all the expose weapons and keep two exploit (one sniper, one split beam) on myself; then as the orange circles pop; I disintigrate as needed.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Gave my entire away team dual pistols, and I carry two sniper rifles (occasionally swapping in the Romulan Split Beam). All I see are exposed enemies. Ground combat goes very quickly for me, regardless of the enemy.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
To all those saying you just need to take advantage of expose/exploit - no.

It's still tedious and drags on. It's one-sidedly tedious because PC victory is pretty much assured unless you're completely incompetent or facing bugged mobs, but when the optimal strategy is 'load your BOs up with turret spam and go grab a sandwich', that's not a good design. At when PC defeat is assured due to bugged mechanics that haven't been fixed over several seasons now, defeat is quick so a minimum of time is wasted... wait, why does that even count as a good thing?
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harddrive View Post
This has probably been beat into the ground, but Ill say it again in case someone missed it the last few hundred times.

Ground combat is well nigh unplayable. I enjoy space combat, its exciting, fast paced, and is continually moving. Ground combat is slow, dull, plodding, pedantic, and takes far TOO LONG. You could sit shooting one target for 30 seconds before it dies, just to find there are 100 more before you get to your objective, then to find there are 3 more objectives beyond that.....and all for a paltry amount of SP.

It is insulting, infuriating, and causes one like myself to want to quit (again) becuase almost every mission out there requires a ground component, which I have come to hate.

I have heard that ground changes are in the works, but I doubt that they will be on the scale that is needed.

1. Lower the number of ground targets, it has really just gotten to the point of spamming targets now, and that is unacceptable.
2. Lower ground npc hitpoints to bring ground combat in line with space combat in terms of time committment.

It shouldnt feel like a punishment to see the words "Beam Down". Please, fix ground combat.
You left out the mobs that heal faster then you can damage. Really sucks to be sitting there pounding on the last NPC hoping for an expose/exploit combo to get lucky and crit while he's low.
You also forgot the mobs that insta-wipe your group.
Oh and those were not enough, now they add in thaleron weaponry so mobs that normally wouldn't now can also wipe your group.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-05-2011, 10:17 PM
lol I used to hate ground combat to, but as I got used to it and started to learn how to use my team and my skills I grew to like it. AND then with cryptic's 'arena' and my cool new sword ....I'm starting to love it
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawanzo
Gave my entire away team dual pistols, and I carry two sniper rifles (occasionally swapping in the Romulan Split Beam). All I see are exposed enemies. Ground combat goes very quickly for me, regardless of the enemy.
I've been experimenting with the following recently, and its proved amusing.
4x Science officers, each with:
Phaser weapon (the Full auto Cone expose one, I forget the exact name) Their level one skills are Gravimetric shift. The other skill's are related to healing. I fire once and suddenly the enemy is fixed in position (HA! Take that you sword master Chuckleheads!). Then the Exposes start popping up, and its like a game of wack'a'mole with a sniper rifle.
Even the Romulan Medics can't get over to the downed Romulans to revive them.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
I have two BOs (Borg and Reman) Sciences officers and two engies. The The 2 sci has grav shift. the engies have phaser turrets, mortars, and support drones. I am an eng with the frab kit. Ground is all but too easy now.
Closed Thread