Lt. Commander
# 1 All mines cloaked?
04-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Would this be bad? It would help alleviate the issues with targeting and "spam," but it might also add an interesting dynamic to mines in general, which to me, have never been appealing because they are so easily defeated and avoided.

I'd love for Cryptic to consider this for gameplay. Mines are not something seen often in Star Trek, except DS9, where they were cloaked. To be an effective weapon and to address issues with object spam, I think this might be worth considering.

It may also make them better weapons and attract more people to consider them as usable weapons (which, personally, I never have).

Please post up your thoughts, suggestions, or criticisms on this topic!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2011, 11:52 AM
This is the way I would like mines to be

Mine launchers deploy one mine at a time.

Mines have a guaranteed weapons proc

Mines do huge damage

Mines are only visible from say 3km

This way they are useful and not spammed everywhere I would hope
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm on board with 1 at a time
I'm on board with cloaked
I'm on board with 100% proc
I'm on board with them being utilitarian more than damaging
I'm on board with a moderate recharge time (8-12 seconds)
I'm on board with the patterns modifying the above (adding more mines per drop, for example)

If they're invisible, massive damage should probably not be in the equation, possibly unless that's the mine's only role.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I suggested this awhile ago.. All good. One mine should be 20% or so more dmg then the same type of torp. Procs should be like 50%... patterns should drop one more per level just like HY with each one reduced slightly in total dmg.

Instead of cloak they should get a stealth rating... a mine version of mes. Accounting for there size and design. (Pattens could also increase the stealth rating)
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Nitpicky: I don't think there is any difference between Cloak and MES in that regard. Cloak disables shields, MES reduces power levels - but both are still using the same mechanic to keep you hidden. The differences don't apply to Mines.

I think cloaked mines could be a way to go, as well as less mines and more damage per mine. The latter as a minimum. If they want to preserve the "mine field" experience, make the single mine look like a minefield and give it a bunch of hit points so it survives a few shots (and maybe it is not fully destroyed when it hits its target?).

Making even a field one single object should already help targeting, UI and server load.

Mine Field
On Contact: Deals X damage to target and self.
Mine Fields have 4 X hit points.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Just give them a stealth rating that's described as sensor absorbing skin on the mines that act as a passive MES I or II depending on how skilled you are in mines.

The only reason I would say not use actual 'cloak' is because of the noise they make when doing so. It's a dead give away if your nearby when someone deploys them. Plus the tractor beam mines should have a stronger stealth than the other mines.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-05-2011, 01:58 PM
The mine field idea is not a bad one, but since mines travel toward their targets, this one might look strange, art wise... unless it required you to touch it, but I guess that could be accounted for by simply making the collision radius larger.

As for countering though, that's just the problem with mines currently. People want to run FAW to deal with trash and mines, negating them as viable methods of damage deployment. Torpedoes, for example, are immune to such tactics.

Ideally, we'd want to make mines more appealing in the process, while not annoying just about everyone who PvPs in the process.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
Just give them a stealth rating that's described as sensor absorbing skin on the mines that act as a passive MES I or II depending on how skilled you are in mines.

The only reason I would say not use actual 'cloak' is because of the noise they make when doing so. It's a dead give away if your nearby when someone deploys them. Plus the tractor beam mines should have a stronger stealth than the other mines.
There's nothing wrong with knowing a cloaked mine has been deployed. Since they would cloak immediately (or even delayed for a second or two), targeting them for counter is still the challenge.

Not to mention, because you know it's there now, does not mean you will not be lured over it (or happen near it) again sometime very soon.

I can visually see Eject Warp Plasma, but that doesn't mean I can always evade it in time.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacatchman View Post
There's nothing wrong with knowing a cloaked mine has been deployed. Since they would cloak immediately (or even delayed for a second or two), targeting them for counter is still the challenge.

Not to mention, because you know it's there now, does not mean you will not be lured over it (or happen near it) again sometime very soon.

I can visually see Eject Warp Plasma, but that doesn't mean I can always evade it in time.
The same could be used for the MES passive ability. The mines have to activate first before they go into silent running, making them harder to detect. I'm simply saying the Cloaking Tractor Beam mines in this senario should be the hardest to detect.

Although thinking about it, what ever happened to those mines that hid in subspace? They were used in DS9 as anti-personel devices hidden throughout a dominion base. Couldn't the same technology (idea) be applies to the mines?
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-05-2011, 10:08 PM
I like the idea of having them be undetectable until close proximity and giving them a damage boost to actually put fear into mines that wasn't a Tricobalt Mine.

The more points you put into it, the better the proc chance and the increase in damage potential (not in a linear format). That way you have a reason to spec into mines.

As for the UI, I would love it if NPC targeting boxes was a different color and design than those for PC targeting boxes. For example, NPCs use the darker UI blue (Fed) or reddish (Klingon).