Lt. Commander
# 11
04-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
The same could be used for the MES passive ability. The mines have to activate first before they go into silent running, making them harder to detect. I'm simply saying the Cloaking Tractor Beam mines in this senario should be the hardest to detect.

Although thinking about it, what ever happened to those mines that hid in subspace? They were used in DS9 as anti-personel devices hidden throughout a dominion base. Couldn't the same technology (idea) be applies to the mines?
They are probably still hiding in subspace. :p

I seem to remember 3 types of traps/mine field like devices:
  • The energy drain field that the Enterprise had to escape via manual steering and LaForge flirting with Lea Brams
  • The cloaked minefield that the Defiant layed around the wormhole
  • Those subspace mines

It seems mines in Startrek tend to use tricks to make their detecting more difficult.

I imagine the Gorn Mine Field Fleet Action could be more interesting if it was actually difficult locating the mines and failing to locate them in any other manner then stumbling into them would be hurting.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I seem to remember 3 types of traps/mine field like devices:
  • The energy drain field that the Enterprise had to escape via manual steering and LaForge flirting with Lea Brams
You mean Aceton Field? :p

But subspace weapons would be an interesting thing. Could imagine in PvP that you use enough of them, it rips Space Time making something like a combination of Tykens, Energy Siphon, Gravity Well effect. Where people would intentionally try to use repulsors to push opponents into, like the Black Holes in SFC.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-06-2011, 03:22 PM
No no, there's a difference between hiding things in subspace and using subspace weaponry. The later being outlawed by multiple treaties in the Star Trek Universe.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Cloaked Chroniton mines with their current proc level? Ouch.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificialx
Cloaked Chroniton mines with their current proc level? Ouch.
The idea would be that there would be ONE hidden mine... even with a 50% proc rate on that one its a lower proc chance then we have now when you run throuh a cluster of them. Most MMOS have a problem with basic probability. Its why 2% more crit rate... or 10% more proc chance ends up making a HUGE diffrence.

Right now if you run through a cluster of 5 cron mines... there is a 86% chance of a proc. No wonder people where spamming the heck out of them. lol