Lt. Commander
# 1 Seemingly Stupid AI...
04-06-2011, 01:26 AM
Okay, maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I think it's just stupid game AI

So, okay, I'm building a mission just to test out how to make a mission, and frankly it's slow going and takes forever. But this is more specific than all that.

So, I've got a Klingon interior. I've got my away team transferring in to the main big room with hallway off of it. I've got a pack of targs guarding the door, and pack of targs half way down the hall and a squad of ensign klingons 3/4 of the way down the hall.

Problem: I beam in. I kill the first group of targs. But when I get to the hall, what do I see, but the groups of targs and klingons in the hall FIGHTING EACH OTHER?

What the hell? Seriously?! It's done this both times I've play-tested the map. Why do the klingons and targs not realize they're ON THE SAME TEAM? Is there some way to specify that they SHOULD NOT ATTACK EACH OTHER, but hold their positions until the actual PLAYER comes along, and then attack the PLAYER when the PLAYER gets in range? What am I doing wrong? Or else, what is the game doing wrong?

Is there a way to specify aggression level in the NPCs? Like "passive," "defensive," "aggressive," "roaming aggressive," "roaming defensive," etc?

Why are my NPC enemies duking it out with each other rather than waiting for the PLAYER to come along? Do NPCs get bored? Should I give them some Nintendo 3DS' to occupy them until the player is ready to duke it out with them?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Sounds like a bug. Maybe there are more than one Targ faction.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-10-2011, 02:19 PM
the Targ in the foundry are wild animals, not tamed, so they attack anyone and everyone who comes in range.

But yeah, I think you should give them 3DS anyway. I would find it amusing to watch a targ play DS.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2011, 06:55 AM
It depends on what categories the animals you place are from. For instance, Romulans and Cardassians are both under the "enemies" category, but since they are of two different factions, they'll attack each other as well as you.

To get around this, try making killing the targs a mission objective and then mark the Klingons as invisible with a trigger to appear once the targs are killed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreachAndClear View Post
It depends on what categories the animals you place are from. For instance, Romulans and Cardassians are both under the "enemies" category, but since they are of two different factions, they'll attack each other as well as you.

To get around this, try making killing the targs a mission objective and then mark the Klingons as invisible with a trigger to appear once the targs are killed.
So, does that mean that we couldn't then design a mission where different factions are "working together" on a 'mixed' team? That is to say, friendly toward each other in the designed mission but unfriendly toward the player?

Seems like we should be able to create arbitrary teams and designate them as "enemy" (hostile toward player) or "ally" (friendly toward player and can't be targeted by player) or "neutral" (not hostile or friendly toward either side and can't be targeted by either side)...

Just thinking out loud... I mean, if I wanted to design a mission where two factions hostile toward each other were feeling MORE hostile toward the federation and decided to team up in an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation or forge an "uneasy alliance," why shouldn't I be able to make such a mission easily without representatives of the two temporarily-allied 'faction' fighting amongst themselves before I ever get to them?

I'd hate to have a mission objective ruined because two groups you're supposed to kill end up killing each other before you ever trigger the mission objective...
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Right now the only way you could make them work together is if you make it so the groups will not aggro one another (spawn far apart) or if you put invisible walls between them that only drop once the player has killed the previous group.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Right now the only way you could make them work together is if you make it so the groups will not aggro one another (spawn far apart) or if you put invisible walls between them that only drop once the player has killed the previous group.
Well, then I guess that would fall under a feature request... Better methods for specifying arbitrary teams and who is/isn't aggressive toward whom...
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-07-2011, 05:37 PM
if u want klingons with targs find the Kligon Groups with targ handlers. Targs are wild animals and are universaly hostile to every non hostile targ.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenMirror
if u want klingons with targs find the Kligon Groups with targ handlers. Targs are wild animals and are universaly hostile to every non hostile targ.
I'd rather just have the ability to specify arbitrary "teams" without the team members fighting each other and/or their aggro status toward other teams or NPCs. I think it could make for certain more interesting stories to come to fruition. Romulan 'civil wars' with opposite 'sides' (minimal 'friendly fire' / in-fighting), enemy-of-my-enemy-is-my-friend missions, etc.