Lt. Commander
# 1 Map transition to sector space
04-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Hello everyone.

I've been trying to make a mission wich takes place on multiple locations, but I just can't seem to get it right. In the mission you have to travel from Imaga to Andoria, but when the BO asks if I want to go to the next map it directly hurls me halfway through the quadrant and straight into orbit.

Is it possible to exit to sector space? If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-03-2011, 10:44 AM
You can create a mission with multiple sector space doors by placing all the different map objectives on the first line as a "complete all". However, it would then function as an open patrol mission like the sector patrols, where it doesn't matter in which order you visit each system (meaning your players could skip around to any map they wanted to, not necessarily in the order you want them to).

I also have not seen any type of interaction that you can use to get back out into sector space like the patrols have when your task on a particular map is complete, without pressing the "leave system" button next to the minimap.

Testing these types of multiple sector space doors is a bit problematic, since any time you leave a system space or ground map to go back to sector space, you're either ported back to Sol (under the sector space map) or ESD (falling through the floors and out into space)
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-03-2011, 10:58 AM
NemesisChiken's long introductory video covers this!

See: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...n-methodology/
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Couldn't you just change the transition component to transition from "Whole Map" to say, Andoria (door)?

Will have to check that out...
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Whats happening to me, when it try to change the loading zone, it doesnt give a choice for cryptic maps. Ive resorted to ridiculous/barely clever txt explanations as to why we dont notice the travel. Hope this is addressed soon
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Alright, well thanks everyone, but I think I have to give it some more thought. Maybe I'll just have to change the mission a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Here's a clever way to get around this (though causes issues because of custom bridges).

When you "leave" a system, have the player transfer to a ground ship map (a bridge or engineering room). Have them do some tasks there. when they are finished, have the conn officer report that you've arrived to the new system. Transfer to the next space map.

This is tricky, however, since so many players have different bridges, so you could do an Engineering room instead or something.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salok
Whats happening to me, when it try to change the loading zone, it doesnt give a choice for cryptic maps. Ive resorted to ridiculous/barely clever txt explanations as to why we dont notice the travel. Hope this is addressed soon
If I recall correctly, you don't get a choice of cryptic maps unless that's your FIRST objective (like, fly to Wolf 359 to start the mission). Then you can fly through sector space, click "Continue" when you get to Wolf 359, and do the mission.

There's no way to kick the player BACK to sector space to go somewhere else. You can only do instant map transfers.

That is, unless they've changed Foundry since releasing on Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
I hope they fix this soon. I'll probably try one of the work around above but I really wanted to force them to fly through sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
My work around is to create a custom warp space map. Sometimes I do things in there like pop a random optional encounter (which may or may not enhance the storyline).

Through the use of invisible objects and triggers you can reuse the map to travel more than once.

To see that in action, you can check out Retribution Part 1. 2nd map in is a "deep space" map with warp effect.