Lt. Commander
Hi all,

In reading over the reviews I got for my foundry mission, one feedback was the flirting was weird because the NPC was a female the player's character is also female.

While it isn't negative or anything, this got me to thinking. So the question I have for everyone is, do you feel comfortable with content creators addressing or touching on sensitive material?

For background, when I created the mission I really wasn't thinking all too hard about gender neutrality in my subplots and dialogue and I correct them where I can; however when I did come across that part of my mission I thought, eh, should play ok even if it's same sex.

So I did get that comment in my review and I wanted to reply, not in defense but just to reference, that Star Trek did touch upon sexuality some, in "The Outcast" (TNG) and in the episode I remember, "Rejoined" (DS9). To summarize, the latter is Dax trying to get back together with a former Trill lover (Kurzon's?), who is a woman.

Now I didn't intend at all to make any social commentary, I just wanted to put a little Kirk in my missions (heh) but games being what they are, there will be players who are female and my thought was just well... it'll still work, it's only flirting.

But now that the series is progressing, I was thinking of fleshing that area out a bit more. The challenge will always be that if a sensitive issue is commented on (in the form of a mission), I have to pull it off with enough style and class and respect that it doesn't come off as being hateful of that issue or something.

What do you guys think? Should Foundry missions stay away from potential third rails?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I really don't have much to say on this, cause I think the flagging will fall to the reviewers and those playing. There is always a "better safe then sorry" approach, which I will probably subscribe to.

BUT I will say this: If you're worried about the gender issue just make them an Orion, I think no one questions that at this point. >,^
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-06-2011, 05:23 PM
II prefer people to put as little words in my character's mouth as possible, or at the very least give distinct dialog options that allow you to avoid the flirtation if you want to. I just played your mission and you seemed to do that except for the last box with the "gentle with my hands" comment. I would have preferred some alternative to that. The mission itself was alot of fun though. I would just recommend any time you choose to do this making sure you give dialog options that can brush it off for anyone who wants to, or doesnt feel like it makes sense for their character.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-06-2011, 05:35 PM
In this day and age, I don't think it really matters. Back when DS9 did Rejoined it was probably more pushing the envelope for the time, but we've come a long way in the past 15 years. The funny thing was I didn't watch DS9 until last year after I started playing STO, and when I got to Rejoined it didn't really even strike me as being especially surprising or unusual.

I would suggest maybe putting in dialogue options that allow the player to explore or discourage the NPC's interest. You can have the NPC be flirtatious regardless, but the player should always have the option of ignoring it or avoiding it.

For example, you can put in the response option "I'm sorry, you're really not my type." That works equally well for a female character who is not a lesbian, a male character who is gay, a vulcan character, a character of a different species who is not interested or maybe completely incompatible, a male character who likes brunettes and the NPC is blonde, a female character who likes brunettes and the NPC is blonde, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
II prefer people to put as little words in my character's mouth as possible (edit) and you seemed to do that except for the last box with the "gentle with my hands" comment. I would have preferred some alternative to that.
Hm. You're quite right I missed one. :p Easy enough fix although in the long run, I'll take that comment to heart cuz I do tend to put in options that are limited, in terms of dialogue, and often put in flavor that may not jibe with a player's view of their character..... makes the mission creation tougher, but no one said the Foundry was easy.

Lastly, I hope then that you don't hate the 2nd part too much because the bridge sequence has quite a bit of putting words into the character's mouth type options... I don't have an idea at the moment how to make that sequence dialogue neutral. But at least, it's not a sensitive area.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphoner
Hm. You're quite right I missed one. :p Easy enough fix although in the long run, I'll take that comment to heart cuz I do tend to put in options that are limited, in terms of dialogue, and often put in flavor that may not jibe with a player's view of their character..... makes the mission creation tougher, but no one said the Foundry was easy.

Lastly, I hope then that you don't hate the 2nd part too much because the bridge sequence has quite a bit of putting words into the character's mouth type options... I don't have an idea at the moment how to make that sequence dialogue neutral. But at least, it's not a sensitive area.
Well, I should perhaps explain my earlier comments. I dont mind my character saying things that a stereotypical captain would say within an episode of Trek. Normal conversation related to the story of the mission is fine(with me). However, if the author wants to delve into flirtation and other personal areas, I would like to have options for how to handle it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-06-2011, 07:07 PM
I think you were searching for "risque" not "risky" plots.

There's a fine line that's walked in Star Trek Online - basically the content has to be consummate with a Teen ERSB rating for contractual reasons.

So - that's a guideline and (while it has a chilling effect), Cryptic doesn't have the luxury of allowing all to be permitted.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I think you were searching for "risque" not "risky" plots.

There's a fine line that's walked in Star Trek Online - basically the content has to be consummate with a Teen ERSB rating for contractual reasons.

So - that's a guideline and (while it has a chilling effect), Cryptic doesn't have the luxury of allowing all to be permitted.
And for explanation of what that means:

Quote:
Teen (T): Contains content that might be considered unsuitable for children under 13 or 16 years of age. Titles in this category may contain more intense violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language (which is uncensored). Some examples include WWE Smackdown vs. Raw, Futurama, The Simpsons Game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, The Sims series, the Castlevania series, the Guitar Hero series, and the first four Ratchet and Clank games. This rating is similar to PEGI's 12 (high end) and 16 (low end), and ACB's M and MA15+ (low end)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esrb#Ratings