Lt. Commander
I've been creating a lot of stuff in the Foundry on Tribble, but I haven't built a complete mission or published anything yet. I'm intentionally waiting for the Holodeck version of Foundry before I do that.

BUT I've planned out the first mission I want to create and publish with the Foundry on Holodeck. I'm just not sure whether it violates the EULA.

The DS9 Companion (and Memory Alpha) mention in the background information for the DS9 episode "Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night" that the writing staff's original idea for the episode was very different from how it finally turned out. They were going to tell the story of "ghosts" appearing on Deep Space 9, which were actually Bajoran children that a Cardassian scientist during the Occupation had sent into the future to save them.

However, they ditched this idea and instead wrote the episode we saw on screen.

I want to tell this story of the ghosts and the Cardassian scientist in my first UGC mission. But is this allowed?

I would not create likenesses of any actors from the show, etc. So no problems there. But I'm wondering if I'm allowed to take this aborted episode idea and write a UGC mission based upon it using the Foundry?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Technically, you can only draw from the onscreen episodes and your imagination for content.

That said, a copyright is not applied to a premise but to a specific and fixed execution. So as long as you aren't adapting the unused shooting script, use whatever premise you want.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Technically, you can only draw from the onscreen episodes and your imagination for content.

That said, a copyright is not applied to a premise but to a specific and fixed execution. So as long as you aren't adapting the unused shooting script, use whatever premise you want.
And to add to this, your not copying the original script(if there even was one) word for word. All your doing is expanding upon that idea.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
And to add to this, your not copying the original script(if there even was one) word for word. All your doing is expanding upon that idea.
To quote the DS9 Companion (page 548):
'"We'd gotten halfway through the break session," confirms David Weddle, "and we quit and started talking about Kira's history".'

So it looks like there wasn't ever a script - it doesn't seem like it ever got much past the stage of the writers discussing the idea, before they dropped it and wrote something else instead.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Even if there was a script, everyone can assume that you probably never read it. And since it was never distributed, there is technically no claim on that story.

Yes, it is the basic idea from someone else but aren't almost all stories? I say go ahead there is nothing to fear. And I look forward to play that mission.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Sounds like it would be a great story. Go for it!
Ideas are copied all the time. You're only using that idea and making your own story for it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the very positive feedback, guys. I'll go ahead and build it once the Foundry is available on Holodeck. I'll post on this thread again once it's published, and perhaps you can give it a play and let me know if you think there are any problems with what I've done.

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Hey folks,

A month later, and I've finally published this misson. Please give it a play, and let me know what you think. Any and all feedback very, very welcome!

Title: The Spirits of Ramok Nor
Author: @alimac30
Faction: Federation
Level Requirement: Any level

Mission summary: Spirits are haunting an old Cardassian-built medical facility on Bajor. The terrified patients and staff fear the apparitions are the tormented souls of Bajorans tortured and killed at the facility during the Occupation. With the pain of Cardassian atrocities still raw after 50 years, Kai Kira has asked Starfleet to investigate...

Author's notes: This is NOT a Devidian mission. Intended to be single-player; takes around an hour. It's more of an investigation than a shoot-'em-up; there are some baddies to shoot, but the focus is on the investigation.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Sounds like fun. I may check that out.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-28-2011, 10:42 AM
I have to say this is in my opinion the best mission I played so far.
I like especially the "map transitions", and all that love for detail.

I look forward to more missions from you!