Lt. Commander
Hey everyone.

What I'd like to do is have a dialog that would be enabled under a certain condition.

Here's a lame example:

Let's say you have a contact with whom you speak. To be successful, you need to go through the two branches of dialog (using the Advanced Dialog Editor).

The first question could be: Tell me your name.
Second question could be: Tell me your assistant's name.
The third option: Back (so you can ask the other question).

Now, after you have asked those two question (our condition) I want to have a fourth button to appear that would enable me to continue successfully the mission.

Is that doable within one dialog box using the Foundry as it is?

I know it's doable, there's a mission that consist of decrypting some documents on a console and only if you have decrypted it that you can move forward, but that's a Cryptic mission...

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2011, 01:24 PM
As it stands now, I do not believe it is possible for a button to count as an "object" that can be used in a "component complete" trigger.

If there is, I too would love to know how to make it work. As far as I'm aware of the only way to hide or show dialog buttons is to interact with a "clickie" object.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
If there is, I too would love to know how to make it work. As far as I'm aware of the only way to hide or show dialog buttons is to interact with a "clickie" object.
I had to modify my dialogs and have the player move from one console to the next to gather the clues and quite honestly, that's not very elegant.

It's not hard to come up with excuses to have players run around a map to interact with consoles and objects, but it would be so much easier to work with, modify later on, and a lot more simple for player to gather all their information from one place (when it's logical of course), than having them do the run-around game.

Anyhow, if someone finds a solution for this, I would welcome it with open arms.

PS: Thinking about what you said about buttons not being an object (that isn't quoted). A condition could be added like a prompt is, but called condition, where you could toggle it, or make it a certain number, after a certain part of a dialog. Like, you've asked the guy's name (add one), asked his assistant's name (add one). In the button you want to add to the dialog you check if the condition is true (2 in this case), then make the dialog option visible.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Multiple dialog options
04-05-2011, 02:12 PM
The story dialog objectives are very limited. Though you could use one console if each dialog was triggered after each other, but interacting with the same console again. This however is a nightmare of repetition in your story stream. My suggestion is using map triggers instead of the story stream to get some of your interactions and dialog in there. There is an awesome series on triggers, and using dialog with them. Just google search STO foundry Triggers and it should bring it up. It has about 5 or six parts I believe. Good Luck...
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2011, 08:01 PM
@de-noir: I have watched several times pretty much every video pertaining to the foundry, most are pretty good and informative.

I understand what you're saying and I do know how to set it up, but this feel unnatural to me and the story flow. I almost used "realist" but we're talking about a game here. Nonetheless, I will have to revert to a similar stratagem to fix the Foundry's shortcomings.

Let's look at it this way: If you have a contact that has done his research, why send the player on a clue search when that person should be able to inform the player ? I can't understand why this wasn't integrated in the foundry in the first place. Then again, maybe it's planned...
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Currently, dialog response buttons have states and respond to triggers that determine whether or not the dialog response button appears or not. However, dialog trees themselves can either be completed (success) or reset (failure) and thus there is no way for individual dialog response buttons to communicate (and affect) one-another.

This means that currently the only way to create the functionality described in the original post, you'd have to create an entire dialog-tree with multiple repeating parts that eliminate dialog response buttons as the player progresses through the dialog tree.

This could change with the next Foundry patch, or remain in effect for the foreseeable future.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
This could change with the next Foundry patch, or remain in effect for the foreseeable future.
I hope they implement this soon. What I'd like to see is an individual button become a component we could use in a "component complete" trigger.

I think it would be cool to tell an engineer BO to "blow up the wall" via a dialog button, and when the button was clicked the explosion FX is played, wall disappears etc. Plus it would allow for intricate dialog options such as the OP was describing and a whole new dimension to what can be done with dialog in the foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
You can't make the buttons appear and disappear based on other buttons you've pressed inside the dialogue, but you can tie the appearance and disappearance of buttons to other objectives.

If you haven't, then please see my part 2 Branching Dialogue tutorial. It won't help you with this specific task, but it might give you other ideas to workaround it.

http://starbaseugc.com/wiki/index.php/Tutorials
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-06-2011, 08:18 PM
@LordOfPit
I completely agree with you. I haven't made my dialog tree "eliminative" like you describe because I didn't think about it. Even if I would've, it's the kind of convolution we don't need. Something like that would make a three-choice mandatory path HUGE, extremely error-prone when modification/correction are needed, etc. It is doable though. But that's not a path I'm willing to undertake.

@TrueHeart
Functionality like I'm proposing is needed. Without this, we are severely limited and we have to resort to hacks. That's not a bad thing in itself, but there has to be a smoother way to do things. An integrated solution giving us the tools that, when a mission is played it has the same feel as those made by Cryptic.

@Kirkfat
Honestly, your videos are the only ones I have watched, and I've done so several times. They're great. I have commented on a couple and I've thumb-up them all. The thing is, I want to avoid "hacks". They feel forced to me and often times they also feel fake. I honestly prefer waiting for more functionality than using them. I certainly don't want to sound offensive though. You guys have my respect for finding those workarounds.

The only way I will resort to these is at the moment the Foundry becomes stable and frozen (meaning development will cease because Cryptic, or whoever develops it, have decided it's where it should be and won't add more to it. At that point, it will be a necessity to use hacks.

@All of you.
It is undeniable that the Foundry is a great tool, but it's still in its infancy. There are several functionality missing and that's to be expected given its immaturity. But at this moment, given what I know and have read on the forums, I'm hard-pressed to believe our missions will be indistinguishable from Cryptic at one point or another, unless a mission is very straight-forward.

What I would love to see is a Cryptic-made mission, or several, several would be better, demonstrating advanced dialog, missions, and so forth.

Things I'd love to be able to use in the Foundry.
- Dialog-based triggerable timers.
- Dialog-based state (boolean true/false) settters and getters. Either for inside the dialog or outside dialog objects.

- Dialog Copy/Paste ability.
This is something I'm struggling to understand why it's not already in. Let's say I have a dialog with sub-dialogs. But at a certain point I decide that I want that branch elsewhere, either at a different point in time, by another contact or whatever. We can't copy/paste that dialog and if it's big, you'll have to redo the WHOLE thing. It would be nice if we could copy the starting branch (CTRL-C) and paste it elsewhere. When you paste, the Foundry should ask you if you want to paste all sub-dialogs attached to it without the links to other dialogs of course, or just that single dialog box (with all the tree if it has some).

Feel free to discuss.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Added an item in my previous post.