Lt. Commander
# 1 Foundry Custom Ground Maps
04-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I was going to make an Andoria village to test out the foundry and see if I could make some places for us Andorian-o-philes to play around in. While I have found some premade maps that look nice and all, putting buildings on them proved all but impossible. I cant put them anwywhere without them clipping against a mountain or hovering over numerous ditches.

Is it possible to start with a blank ground map and make the hills and valleys and place the trees and stuff? You can make custom space maps... which I think would be neat IF I was trying to make a map in space around Andoria. >.<

If this isnt possible, WILL it be possible at some point?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Request more art assets. Customizable terrain is much trickier - until more objects are pathable or if custom ground meshes (think a Sims City level/glaciate editor).

That said, I have a few tricks I compiled in a recent article about making a city.

here's the full article I wrote: (don't worry - there are pictures!)
http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...ts-w-pictures/

I hope this helps! It's pretty straight-forward advice on planning areas you see in the game (that can apply to areas beyond cities too).
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Thats nice and all, but Im trying to make a small village with a handful of buildings in a forested map. Alpine forest 01 I think its called. Theres granite piles all over the map and ditches and stuff. Its perfect for what I want... except that I cant put buildings down. >.<
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-07-2011, 04:06 PM
only cardassian buildings have windows :'(
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
Thats nice and all, but Im trying to make a small village with a handful of buildings in a forested map. Alpine forest 01 I think its called. Theres granite piles all over the map and ditches and stuff. Its perfect for what I want... except that I cant put buildings down. >.<
If that's what you're going for, you could use small building blocks to lay the foundation for the larger structures that wouldn't ordinarily work on such uneven terrain. (My Cardassian city had lots of rocks in areas too, requiring me to "pave" over them with building blocks as foundations).

Think about it this way:
  • in the deep snows on Andoria - wouldn't you raise buildings above the surface with gratings to allow snow to accumulate beneath the buildings, preventing buildings from being encased in snow drifts?

Connect building blocks with gratings/girders and put the building on top of them. It may work better than you think: and make this area look more functional that buildings in the middle of nowhere.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-07-2011, 05:02 PM
This editor is painful. lol You basically have to guess where things go, do algebra to figure out heights and positions if youre trying to get a rock wall just high enough to cover the opening a platform creates.... also the fact that even though youre not adjusting the y-axis (up-down) any... not every 500x500 platform you make is at 0.0 lol
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Well I would like to see two types of the mission maps curently on foundry,

The first is the mission maps as cleen landscapes no buildings or walls. so we can see where we can place buildings without landscape gaps, A foundry only view overlay could highlight the flat parts of the map,

The second thing is the buildings that have doors can those doors be made active,(for use)
Some buildings could have some of there doors or walls removed so we could run inside some of them and meet NPC's there without changing to a new map. or must we resort to huts, a long hall that is almost Viking, would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Darren, you're the man. I just played state secrets and was looking at that Cardassian City thinking "there's no way Darren made this himself. It must be some tucked away art asset from some STO mission i have yet to play." Good job! Can't wait to read your tutorial.