Lt. Commander
# 51
05-27-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm going to make a larger post about this later today but I'm adding a contest for the first 51 missions published (we're at 25 now - better hurry!)

If your mission is amongst this list, we'll have voting to determine which mission is the fan favorite. The top five will get special rewards that actually help build the Foundry and KDF communities more than anything else.

The rewards aren't much:
  • a trailer of the grand prize winner (720p resolution for Youtube)
  • banner ads/ad time on StarbaseUGC.com for the runners-up (pending approval of admin there)
  • Positive Buzz for just about anyone that creates a KDF mission

Obviously, I am disqualified, as is Kirkfat (who runs StarbaseUGC.com).
Lt. Commander
# 52
05-27-2011, 01:47 PM
its still in the review stage but - infiltration point - level 46
Lt. Commander
# 53
05-28-2011, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'm going to make a larger post about this later today but I'm adding a contest for the first 51 missions published (we're at 25 now - better hurry!)

If your mission is amongst this list, we'll have voting to determine which mission is the fan favorite. The top five will get special rewards that actually help build the Foundry and KDF communities more than anything else.

The rewards aren't much:
  • a trailer of the grand prize winner (720p resolution for Youtube)
  • banner ads/ad time on StarbaseUGC.com for the runners-up (pending approval of admin there)
  • Positive Buzz for just about anyone that creates a KDF mission

Obviously, I am disqualified, as is Kirkfat (who runs StarbaseUGC.com).
Hi DK, happy to offer my services for runner up prizes. Designs to Promotion.
Lt. Commander
# 54
05-28-2011, 04:55 AM
Confuzzled is the Pi. I don't really have the time nor the experience with the Foundry tool set but I would really like to help. I can free up time if I drop out of the Literary Challenges for a bit and stop leveling my toons... Some things are worth the sacrifice and the KDF needs all the help it can get, even my hackneyed stories might help with the KDF content drought.

OK here's my questions.

Lets say I decided to do a three story arch around the commander rank, (I noticed there are very few missions there). What would be best? To do them all for the same level or should I run them for three consecutive levels?

Is there a data base for KDF UGC to get an idea of what plot lines have been submitted to date? I don't wanna step on toes or bore players with inadvertent repeats.

What is a good resource to better get in touch with Klingon culture, history and mythos? I would like to make the experience authentic and to have a sense of boundaries so I do not go off the deep end after all.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 55
05-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
OK here's my questions.

Lets say I decided to do a three story arch around the commander rank, (I noticed there are very few missions there). What would be best? To do them all for the same level or should I run them for three consecutive levels?

Is there a data base for KDF UGC to get an idea of what plot lines have been submitted to date? I don't wanna step on toes or bore players with inadvertent repeats.

What is a good resource to better get in touch with Klingon culture, history and mythos? I would like to make the experience authentic and to have a sense of boundaries so I do not go off the deep end after all.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
you cant pick and choose your level. you are hampered by the enemies you pick. so one group might make it a level 31 mission, another might make it 35 etc. so if you want to make a trilogy try and make it all for one rank, so everybody can play all 3 parts but it does not always work out that way. my klingon arc is all over the place ranging from about 31 to 46 which is unfortunate but its just the way its turned out.

there is no database and probably never will be due to the nature of UGC. there are no rules so just make what you want to make. if it steps on someone toes then so be it.

i only draw from what i see in star trek episodes and try to keep it canon but you dont have to. i dont use any actual resources but i do tend to use the wiki's to brush up on info that i have forgotten. if you're not 100% comfortable with klingon culture try and keep it simple and base it off what you know.
Lt. Commander
# 56
05-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
you cant pick and choose your level. you are hampered by the enemies you pick. so one group might make it a level 31 mission, another might make it 35 etc. so if you want to make a trilogy try and make it all for one rank, so everybody can play all 3 parts but it does not always work out that way. my klingon arc is all over the place ranging from about 31 to 46 which is unfortunate but its just the way its turned out.

there is no database and probably never will be due to the nature of UGC. there are no rules so just make what you want to make. if it steps on someone toes then so be it.

i only draw from what i see in star trek episodes and try to keep it canon but you dont have to. i dont use any actual resources but i do tend to use the wiki's to brush up on info that i have forgotten. if you're not 100% comfortable with klingon culture try and keep it simple and base it off what you know.
All good advice, thank you for that Revo.

So have have started my first mission, (I will now keep in mind that I should pick enemy mob types with level in mind). Made some quick space combat with the Hirogen, for the time being, using an excelsior as a trap, (It's been done I know but this is the intro with luck I will improve the story's sophitication as I get more familiar with the Foundry's tool set). So now I get to the Exie and I want to get the player to board it and here is where I hit the wall as I have no clue how to transition to the Exie's interior map. I will look into that when I am at work tonight. Still any advice is appreciated.

Must say that working with the Foundry is freaking hard! I hope it gets easier with a bit more experience. I found Darren's Foundry tutorials on Youtube and subbed him as well as StarfleetUGC. I will review that more tonight as well.

As for Klingon culture I plan to rely on research I have done into American Indian and Japanese warrior culture and plan to avoid mythos and customs for the time being. Just gonna get by on the KISS model for the time being.

Thank you for the advice and encouragement Revo. I'll do my best.
Lt. Commander
# 57
05-28-2011, 11:51 AM
very simply by placing the next objective on the ground map should create a transition box on the storyboard.

they way i do is is like this.

drop a place marker from the right hand panel onto the storyboard after the last space objective.

then go to the ground map in question via the maps tab and drag the place marker (now in the unassigned tab on the right hand side) over your ground map spawn point.

zoom right in and make sure to increase the radius of the place marker (options at the bottom of the screen near the X Y and Z coordinates) so that its bigger than the spawn point marker (this way it activates the second you spawn on that map.

if you go back to the storyboard you will see a transition screen has appeared. in between your last objective and the new place marker. modify the dialog as needed.

also as this is your first time the very first transition screen (the one when you get to your first space map from sector space, also has to select a door. if you notice it will say leave via whole map. for the very first one you need to change that to the system you want. all future transitions can happen via whole map, or you can change it to an object on the map.

hope that makes sense.

it does get much easier. once you know what you are doing, the tools are quite straight forward. they just dont seem that straight forward at first glance.

you can put incredible detailed missions together in a fairly short amount of time. the testing phase is usually the most time consuming part where you make sure the whole thing works.
Lt. Commander
# 58
05-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Do them how you want, I can insert them at whatever level you wish (i.e. if part 1 is for level 46, and parts 2-3 are neutral, I can bump parts 2-3 up to level 46).

Granted, there are no reserved slots - these are for published missions only. Everyone has a three-story arc sitting around somewhere but only the dedicated finish them.

Once you publish, I'll work something out with you.

Quote:
StarbaseUGC's wiki has *some* mission synopsis, as does the main StarbaseUGC page, if you filter for KDF mission postings.
Lt. Commander
# 59
05-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Quote:
All good advice, thank you for that Revo.

So have have started my first mission, (I will now keep in mind that I should pick enemy mob types with level in mind).
Don't forget that you can give them other costumes. So if you need Hirogen for level, you can make them look like Klingons. Their weapons won't be right, but if you keep that in mind you can find the right balance. For instance, Klingons, Romulans, Remans, and Borg all use green beams.
Lt. Commander
# 60
05-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Don't forget that you can give them other costumes. So if you need Hirogen for level, you can make them look like Klingons. Their weapons won't be right, but if you keep that in mind you can find the right balance. For instance, Klingons, Romulans, Remans, and Borg all use green beams.
Just be careful. New romulans also use thalaron devices.