Lt. Commander
I'm making a mission where the player revisits a planet first visited in ENT. I want to make the player read Archer's starlogs about the original mission while en route to the planet.

I'm planning on using a ship costume in the dialog boxes, rather than recreating a likeness of Archer. However, much of the dialogue that follows is from the character of Archer, and it's made up by me.

Is this allowed?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Yes. You just can't copy the likeness of the actual character.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-09-2011, 09:03 PM
You are also not allowed to wear the likeness of sexy Orions with a voice like yours anymore, Kirkfat.
Please change your Avatar to something Klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Agreed yes. Just no NPC Likeness.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-11-2011, 01:30 AM
I've got a mission almost done where the player reads some of Picard's writing. The trick is that it's an "text only" log and the Enterprise is displayed in the contact window.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-11-2011, 02:25 AM
As long as we dont see archer, or in fact any npc we name and intend to be archer, even if they dont look similar, seems alright. Just text and a ship costume, dont see any problem there.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Oopsie, hit the wrong key:

Maybe Stormys posting from over here can help:
Quote:
Well, it looks like I've made a mistake.

I'm sorry guys, however, my statement there is incorrect. I've been informed that we're not allowing the appearance of characters from the shows in The Foundry. Likeness/copyright issues make this very difficult to allow, and we need to go with the, "Reference is ok, physical appearance is not ok," in order to comply with the rules we're being given.

I'm sorry to have mislead you all, and I'll go back and edit that post so I don't confuse anyone else.

Thanks for understanding,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Uhm.... Isn't that about depicting characters as opposed to referencing them?

I'd be fairly certain that finding a text only note from someone would be a reference and not a depiction.

As in, "I found this thing that Picard said once and I'm quoting it", not "Picard is here telling me what to do."
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
As in, "I found this thing that Picard said once and I'm quoting it", not "Picard is here telling me what to do."
Thats right. You can reference the character all you want, you just cant show them.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I'd be very curious what would be made of my mission. I have an alternate timeline ship turn up.

There's a reference to Worf dying, to Data getting disassembled, to Picard being a lowly astrometrics guy like he was in "Tapestry." In my mind, that's the very definition of what the EULA is enabling us to do. None of the characters show up but you get references from NEW characters about characters in the IP.

I went heavy on that for this outing but wthout some of that, I'd dispute whether it's even a Star Trek mission. I mean, I have one coming up where people talk about World War III and the guy who was a brutal fascist on Earth in the years prior to First Contact. (The guy showed up on TOS and Enterprise.) I'm not using that character but I have some humans who left earth in cryogenic stasis (ala Khan) to get away from that. Surely I can reference that the guy existed and have somebody quote him.