Lt. Commander
# 11
04-10-2011, 09:31 AM
It's a damned shame.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-10-2011, 09:58 AM
What I said about being reported for using the word "damn" in the forums has been taken a bit out of context. The comment I made was that SOMEONE would probably report people if they were to abuse its usage. Not saying I would.

The other comment was probably as little less specific. What I meant was more along the lines of "would you want your mom or your wife or your kids to be reading content that use the word "damn" all the time. There are a lot of family people that may use the term amongst friends at work or out hunting or whatever, but when they get home they refrain from using it. In fact, they are very quick to get on their kids if they hear them using the term "damn". So, my point is that self control depends upon your situation more then the actual "is it ok or not".
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-10-2011, 01:23 PM
The whole concept of "profanity" is nonsensical. When you can change a couple letters and make a brand new expletive and its just fine while the old arrangement of letters is not fine, that is illogical. Why is damn bad, but darn is okay? Why is frack or frick okay, but not the thing EVERYONE knows it means?

But damn itself should not be censored. It hasn't really been considered profanity for a very long time by the media at large in the US. And definitely it is a core part of Star Trek. "Damn it, Jim!"
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Lol. Happened to me yesterday. I wrote Damn and had the same thoughts.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-10-2011, 01:48 PM
All this talk of it makes me think of this "Simpsons" exchange:

Marge: Well I think it's wonderful that your father has fallen in love with my mother.
Homer: Well I'm opposed to the whole thing. Damn opposed!
Bart: He's damn opposed. Damn, damn, damn opposed!
Marge: Bart!

Lt. Commander
# 16
04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
I think that if a word has been used in the Trek shows or movies then it should be allowed in game. All of the movies were rated PG-13 or less, so that is in keeping with the game's Teen rating.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I think that if a word has been used in the Trek shows or movies then it should be allowed in game. All of the movies were rated PG-13 or less, so that is in keeping with the game's Teen rating.
Not exactly. Ratings deal with how many times a cuss is used. Remember the movie Be Cool? (You've been warned... there is a cuss word at source but is there ONLY to make a point about movie ratings)
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-11-2011, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Not exactly. Ratings deal with how many times a cuss is used. Remember the movie Be Cool? (You've been warned... there is a cuss word at source but is there ONLY to make a point about movie ratings)
Wouldnt the number of deaths work the same way, even though STO has an unlimited number?
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Watch Enterprise, they throw around the B(with an) itch word all the time. AND to think about it, what if if I'm talking about a female dog??? the correct term is B itch. And what about this whole free speech thing eh....?
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Wouldnt the number of deaths work the same way, even though STO has an unlimited number?
Don't ask me to make sense of the movie rating system. All I know is a cuss word NOT allowed in game can be in a PG-13 movie as long as it is only used once.

Even Data said "Oh, S***!" in Generations but you will find that it gets filtered in game.