Lt. Commander
# 1 borg missions: "The Cure"
03-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Ok I'm going to review a Borg's mission, and tell which have been my first impact with it.
First I must start talking about "Infected" the mission that needs to be done to be able to go through the next one.
The first time I've playied Infected, it was just one day after when it has been created and uploaded for the first time.
It was not buggy, but at that time we were Rear Admiral 1 and there was not possibility to level up, so it has been a bit odd and just too hard to complete it...the space part took us at least one hour to complete it and the ground part was the worst thing I ever playied.
We were litterally overwhelmed by Borg drones! At one point, I asked if I was playing on star trek online or Lord of The rings online...during the Helm's Deep battle with 10 thousand Orcs! Or maybe the second world war!.
I don't actually know how we managed to reach the boss, but it was so strong that after half an hour of Futile Resistence we had to renounce to the mission...everybody was falling in the acid every second cause of the power of borg hits that were knockback pushing us.
Well, playing it for the second time at the Vice Admiral Rank with full equipped characters it has been literally another experience...It has been almost easy to complete the mission we managed all the mission space, and ground part in an hour and half one more.
But the matter of my review is not Infected, is "The Cure".
I've playied it some days ago for the first time.
Well the space part is really pretty easier then the one that you encounter in "Infected"; but the ground part is another time just as being in the second world war!
Even if is possible to complete the mission with a good coordination between team mates, It takes just too much time, some days ago we started the mission at 22:30 O'clock and at O1:15 we hadn't reached the boss yet. At that time we were trying to lower the last force field before the boss, but every time we died we had to do again all the way back from the previous force field point, and kill again all the borgs in the way...finally with my eyes exiting from my ocular orbits I decided to leave.
So, the moral of the tale is that some missions as "the cure" needs to be a bit easier I think, because I can't spend 4 hours of my daily time just for one mission...there are players that works and those who study that don't have so much time sometimes and because mmorpg players are probably used to pass much time online, but that doesn't mean that after 4 hours of a mmorpg and mission play you have to feel just weird and with a crap head pain. So finally I think that Devs needs to establish a maximum cap of endurance of missions, just something like "missions in star trek online must be not longer then 2 hours or 2 and half an hour in terms of time, time in which it must be garuanteed the accomplishment of the mission goal".
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2011, 08:55 AM
There is a walk through thread around here somewhere, that has times posted of just over one hour. My personal best is 1 hour 36 minutes. With a group of people that have played it before or at least people that can follow instructions 2 hours is about average for the entire mission.

Most of the time spent is typing out instructions, and assigning positions. A voice service is key to speeding things up. The mission does have two bugs that cause early spawns at the 3rd and 4th gate that will cause aggro. But I have still made it past these gates on the first try.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2011, 01:23 PM
As Gul mentioned, search a couple walk-through hints on this mission. I was in one of our fleets early runs (When we could only go to RA as well !) and you are right - first time was a long long long long slog.

Being able to level up to VA has helped quite a bit, and the recent nerfing of the borg on the ground portion means we are steam-rolling the patrols. (3 engies, 1 Tac, 1 Sci on our last run.)

You will have two choices at the generators - aggro method, or non-aggro method. Both are valid, both will work, both require a good degree of team coordination or you get swarmed. Yes, there is a 'bug' in which you leave a few alive, deaggro, and then get the cake-walk, but seriously....not needed.

Last run with the group mentioned above, there was quite a bit of time spent explaining what would happen, how to do things, etc. and we finished the run in 2.5 hours. But it was an easy easy easy 2.5 hours, including one extended break.

Boss fight at end is a silly easy now. It used to require a Sci guy to tank, I would not be surprised to see Engies doing it now.

Space fight - IMHO - only really fun part left. The cubes and carriers still take quite a bit of firepower to kill off.

Good luck to you - do some reading, and maybe team up with some of the active fleets who will guide you through.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStoney View Post
As Gul mentioned, search a couple walk-through hints on this mission. I was in one of our fleets early runs (When we could only go to RA as well !) and you are right - first time was a long long long long slog.

Being able to level up to VA has helped quite a bit, and the recent nerfing of the borg on the ground portion means we are steam-rolling the patrols. (3 engies, 1 Tac, 1 Sci on our last run.)

You will have two choices at the generators - aggro method, or non-aggro method. Both are valid, both will work, both require a good degree of team coordination or you get swarmed. Yes, there is a 'bug' in which you leave a few alive, deaggro, and then get the cake-walk, but seriously....not needed.

Last run with the group mentioned above, there was quite a bit of time spent explaining what would happen, how to do things, etc. and we finished the run in 2.5 hours. But it was an easy easy easy 2.5 hours, including one extended break.

Boss fight at end is a silly easy now. It used to require a Sci guy to tank, I would not be surprised to see Engies doing it now.

Space fight - IMHO - only really fun part left. The cubes and carriers still take quite a bit of firepower to kill off.

Good luck to you - do some reading, and maybe team up with some of the active fleets who will guide you through.
Dont even start about using walkthroughs. I started at 6:30 pm with a competent Fleet group. We were all on Vent.

5 hours later, we finish.

Why? Because of the G DEE gates.

Here's the thought process: Yay the first transformer shield is down.

Ooh spawn point. Hooray!

2nd set of transformers. 4? Hmm this will be tough.

1 hour later. FINALLY We're DONE. WHAT THERES A NOTHER SET OF 4. THAT ARE EVEN FARTHER AWAY FROM EACH OTHER!? D:<

WHAT. THE RESPAWN POINT IS ALL THE WAY UP AT THE FIRST SHIELD WE TOOK DOWN?!

Are you f ing serious cryptic. And you know what else? The drones respawn. The two groups that spawn when you mess with the transformers. They. Respawn. With an interlink node.

That is not fun. That is just pointless difficulty for no reward. We spent at least 2 hours screwing around at the last set of transformers because we kept getting overwhelmed by Elite tac drones. The game was no longer fun. And when the game is no longer fun the Developers have FAILED at making a GAME.

After we took the last gate (FINALLY). The game was a cakewalk. Hell Armek was a cakewalk. Armek you the BOSS of the encounter? Took him down in 10 mins if that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .dlp.Mercenary
Dont even start about using walkthroughs. I started at 6:30 pm with a competent Fleet group. We were all on Vent.

5 hours later, we finish.

Why? Because of the G DEE gates.

Here's the thought process: Yay the first transformer shield is down.

Ooh spawn point. Hooray!

2nd set of transformers. 4? Hmm this will be tough.

1 hour later. FINALLY We're DONE. WHAT THERES A NOTHER SET OF 4. THAT ARE EVEN FARTHER AWAY FROM EACH OTHER!? D:<

WHAT. THE RESPAWN POINT IS ALL THE WAY UP AT THE FIRST SHIELD WE TOOK DOWN?!

Are you f ing serious cryptic. And you know what else? The drones respawn. The two groups that spawn when you mess with the transformers. They. Respawn. With an interlink node.

That is not fun. That is just pointless difficulty for no reward. We spent at least 2 hours screwing around at the last set of transformers because we kept getting overwhelmed by Elite tac drones. The game was no longer fun. And when the game is no longer fun the Developers have FAILED at making a GAME.

After we took the last gate (FINALLY). The game was a cakewalk. Hell Armek was a cakewalk. Armek you the BOSS of the encounter? Took him down in 10 mins if that.
That is because you don't have a good leader. The 12th Fleet has 3 STF leaders that can get The Cure done under 2.5 hours with a inexperience group. I best time leading so far is 1h:20m with 3 inexperience players on my team. A good Team Leader makes sure everyone has the right setup for it's team makeup. Understands how to use each players skills, and have the right gear and weapons. Explain what they need to do and how to do it. And Voice Chat is a must for a smooth run.

This thread explain the Steamroller which is becoming very poplar with Fleets.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=208286&page=2
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-08-2011, 03:27 PM
While we're on the topic of The Cure, what happened to Capt. Ja'Rod?

Was there a change in the overall mission that required them to take him out of the mission
and replace him with the end game big boss klingon?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-08-2011, 03:53 PM
I thought Ja'Rod was still there but you just have to release him after you deal with Armek? I could be wrong (it was really late when we got to that point) but I know he was talking to us in the Space fight at the end.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-09-2011, 09:37 AM
im sorry but armek lasting anything more than 2 maybe 3 minutes is a shame. an utter shame. they nerfed him. they nerfed the last gate. drop a pm ingame if help needed
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-13-2011, 12:16 AM
I admit at first we had problems, with running the cure, but now me and our fleet mates almost got it down to a science. I belive our best time is 2.5 hours. our longest was over 5 ( and we were still on the 3rd gate, but then again that was due to serval facts one fo our team mates had a fire call, and we stoped so we could eat and rotated so we all wouldn;t leave the map
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-13-2011, 11:53 AM
The best speed I run led for the Cure is now 1h:02m with experience players.