Lt. Commander
I did some of the Spotlight missions before the Foundry released to Holodeck, but decided it wasn't for levelling when I did a long mission and got 50sp for it. I've done all the storyline missions multiple times and would love to level some newer characters using the best Foundry missions, but I was hoping someone would let me know if the rewards were now commeasurate with the ones from the Cryptic storyline episodes, if not the Featured episodes. I'm not talking about loot or reward items, just the ability to level up in approximately the same amount of time as following the original storylines. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-10-2011, 10:04 PM
UGC missions are neither a viable way to level nor intended to work that way. There's just too much room for exploitation. You will get the standard sp amount per mob but not the big bonus reward that Cryptic missions offer upon completion. So, in theory you could level up a toon doing only Foundry missions but it would take a really long time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-10-2011, 10:36 PM
I just made a level playing Foundry missions yesterday! Yay!

But the truth is, I don't play for "levels". The Foundry usually scales pretty nicely which means I can enjoy the missions no matter how high my level is.

I can see how this could be exploited big time of there were more rewards. I have a lot of fun.

... Now, if only authors would stop to create endless enemy encounter chains...
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2011, 01:58 AM
You can use it to level but its slow going. if you want to raise to the max rank as fast as you can then i would not use the foundry, other than enjoying the story, or use it at endgame if you want.

if you actually like slow levelling, as some do, then its great as missions will progress your character and you'll never be short on missions to do. it will just take a while.

some missions are better than others. ones with lots of space encounters have a fair few xp and the ones that have the 5 reviews normally give about 50 xp as well. there are ways for them to add more xp. like complete 3 missions in a daily or they might spotlight some for extra xp, but all that is up in the air.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-11-2011, 02:08 AM
It would be nice if some missions could have SP, Mark, Emblem or equipment rewards attached by a Cryptic employee.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Maybe if they continue with having "Spotlight" Foundry missions, those missions could be given rewards comparable to running an actual mission. I'm sure sooner or later the issue of giving people something for doing Foundry missions will be addressed. While obviously it's a very touchy subject, I think at the very least if they are going personally review a mission before making it a Spotlight mission, they could hopefully find a way to activate some rewards for it too.
Lt. Commander
# 7 how disappointing
04-11-2011, 04:13 PM
It seems cryptic has gone overboard in making sure nobody can claim there was an exploit in the Foundry to the point that they have shot us all in the foot. After all, I can do a run of Spin the Wheel in about 8 minutes and get a couple bubbles of experience at any level, but you can do a mission that takes an hour on the Foundry and get bubkis. I had really hoped (and was led to believe) that this would be a helpful levelling addition for Klingons especially since they now have a total of 25 story missions available counting their 8 and the 15 Featured Episodes. Yes, they get the same exploration missions to grind and some fleet actions and some stfs, but it's all the same stuff over and over. Here was a chance to give people an unending number of missions, but now it appears this is only useful for capped characters to waste a bit of time waiting for Season 4 and the next Featured Episode series. For any character that isn't at the top rank, Cryptic is telling you to go grind the same missions over and over instead of using the Foundry. What a waste of potential.

Look, I can see that you don't want missions that let you level up twice as fast as the missions we have now, but they could look at the xp they give for storyline missions and explorations and find some happy medium. Heck, I can get more experience repeating the Azura mission fighting mobs 30 levels below me than I can fighting mobs my level for an hour on the Foundry.

So long as I have a bunch of lt. commanders and commanders to level up, I guess I'll be leaving the Foundry alone. So much for filling the content gap. I don't demand that the Foundry give the fastest path to levelling, but not one that seems completely out of sync with the rest of the game. And by the time I get all those characters levelled up, I presume Season 4 will be around and I'll be running all those characters through the next Featured series, which will also offer 8 times the experience of an equivalent Foundry mission. Only when all my characters are at the cap will I find the Foundry compelling, but by then I'll be lucky if I haven't gone to play Diablo 3 or Guild Wars 2 or Skyrim or The Old Republic or Starcraft 2's next chapter, or an plethora of options available.

Guess I'm a little bitter.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I don't play Foundry missions to level or gain accolades. I play them, because they give me new stories to play and be part of a creative process. Be it player/tester or creator.

Levelling in STO is ridiculously fast in any case.

And, no, I do not have a VA character on the fed side. I think my highest levelled toon there is a LC.
I do have a Major General on the Klingon side and I wish it would have taken him longer to get to that rank.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-11-2011, 06:03 PM
The Foundry was never intended to be a "leveling tool". Instead, it is a place for creative people to share their story ideas for the game. Unlike in the early days of CoH's similar UGC which allowed for exploits in gaining experience, the Foundry is just a place to have some fun both as creator and player.
Lt. Commander
I didn't expect a different reply. But some of us, most of us I'll wager, would rather have lt. commanders become commanders and so on. If someone has played a game for a year and never levelled a character to the top, the Foundry is definitely your cup of tea. I don't think the Foundry should replace the main stories as a way to level up, but I certainly don't want to feel like my time was wasted compared to doing virtually anything else in the game. If it took twice as long to level up using the Foundry, I'd level a character up just for the variety. But 50 sp per hour is just an insult to my time when I can make more than 10-20 times as much doing anything else.

I was very excited about the Foundry. I will certainly play the best missions it has to offer at some point. But it is without a doubt a waste of potential when it is clearly the worst way to level in the game by miles and miles. This could have made up for the fact that levelling a Klingon is a grind. It could have made up for the gap in new content between featured episodes. For some, it will do that. But it could have done that for all of us, and it is a shame that it fell so far short of what it could have been. It is a shame for the creators of these missions that far fewer people will play them than would otherwise be the case.

Hopefully Cryptic will raise the rewards for mission completion in the Foundry since it is those rewards, and not killing individual mobs, that is the bulk of the experience gained.

Levelling is fairly fast in every other aspect of the game. But I have many characters. When my characters reach the top rank and have the best gear, I start a new character. I started several more in time to get the Reman boff, so now I want to level them up. I guess I'll be playing the same missions I've done over again since Cryptic chose that path for me. They design the game, and decide the rewards. They give the greater rewards to the path they wish you to take, and obviously that is not the Foundry at this time. What a shame.