Lt. Commander
OK so first off let me say two things.
#1. I don't really hate this game. I really like it.
#2. I don't hate ground combat, I kind of like it.

But let me say this.
I played the game at launch. And there were some bugs and issues. Which is fine, So i took some time off and now came back. And three days into my 2nd time playing. I Am sadly disappointed.
Yes there is allot of new neat stuff, stuff that I really like and impressed with. But at the same time, I still have the same problems as before. And simple put the bad part is this.
I have to avoid 1/2 of this game.
Ground Missions.

So my question is... why?

Why can I still not find some of the scan items on missions because they are in the map?
Why do I still run up on Combat Missions with 2 Swordsmasters, 2 Munitions officers, a Officer A Targ Handler and 4 warriors. On Normal.
Why is there no Threat table on this Game? And don't tell me there is. I can send MY ENTIRE team forward to attack the enemy, Stand Back and do nothing and every enemy runs right at me... And I have -20% threat Generation.
Why can bosses STILL one shot me some times. And I Mean hit me for 800 damage when i only have 400 total sheidl/health.

Now I tell people this and they give me the.

A: Your not doing it right.
B: Your gear is not good enough.
C: Your not using the right skills.

My simple answer is this.

#1. You should not have to play the game JUST the right way. If i wanted to play that game I would be Raiding in WOW right now.
#2. My gear is the best I can get for my level, And yes I exploit.
#3. See #1. And Yes I use Mines/Turrets.

_
WHY!
Why after a full year. Have you not fixed a full 1/2 of your game.

In some missions I am fine.
In some missions I die every now and then. (Whiitch is ideal)
And then in Some Missions I die 12 times on one group and then leave the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstarraven View Post
Why do I still run up on Combat Missions with 2 Swordsmasters, 2 Munitions officers, a Officer A Targ Handler and 4 warriors. On Normal.
Honestly, I have never had a problem with a mod of that make up. I personally target the Targ Handlers, set my team to attack my target, take them both down asap. Then I target the sword masters. If they are really going after me and not my BO I kill them.

Difficulty only makes you take wounds, these wounds hurt your performance. These also happen in space they are damage on your ship and have to fixed to go away. they have 3 types of injuries. minor major and critical. I believe you can have upwards of 30 of each? I think I remember hearing that you can have 30 minor and still be able to play, but Im not sure on the max wounds you can take. dont quote me.

you might also want to take a look at this web page for weapons to get.

http://www.stowiki.org/Ground_weapon

scroll down to the end, Special mission rewards. These weapons are good. The # [Federation Type 3 Phaser Rifle] is nice, [Synchronic Proton Distortion Prototype Rifle] is very good. [CRM 200] I like that on a BO because it exposes and slows. some people use it on borg.

You might be having lag issues I dont know. This has never been a problem. I have a problem when I run into the romulans with all the sci and healers. not to mention the thalaron mines killing my BOs.

I might add you might want to try having all your BO use expose weapons and you have the only exploit weapon. Only use your exploit (second attack) when you see someone with the expose red indicator.

If you are having this much of an issue, are you sure your weapons are up to date? are they green or rare? Have you at least one of every type of BO with you? Have you spent points on ground skills? Have you spent points on your BO ground skills? Are your BO rare? Also take a look into this thread

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ay+team+advice

having out of date weapons Im guessing is your problem. you HAVE to get new weapons when you rank up each time and body armor and kits and shields, this is not an option. playing with uncommon gear is really not hard to get, rare and very rare are only needed for serious pvp. and honestly you dont need them until you get to VA and you can afford to drop big bucks on them.

my biggest suggestion however is not to write the -I hate the game it stinks and I dont like it thread- people will just not talk to you and treat you like you have a disease. Sorry you have not had a good game experience but threads like this wont make your game play experience any better.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Wile I surely appreciate your impute I would point out that you CLEARLY did not read parts of my post.

I HAVE the best gear. (By that I mean MK IV at LC and so forth)

Also If i run into a group with large amounts of Shielded / Powered Enemys and they all dog pile me first thing I cant really do much about it. I have tried, Mine Fields, Turrets, Healing, Rolling nothing.
Just spent 50 minuets trying to get rid of one party and nothing.

It does seam to happen much less latter.
And less when i am on my tac not my sci.
But It is still pretty constant.

I also have two friends who play and gave me the. "Your not going it right" or the "I dont have trouble" Lines.

Had then watch me play and they agree.
I just seam to get extremal difficult enemy ground and they seam to go right at me.
As I said.

I can have my goons attack the enemy. And I WILL DO NOTHING!
And the Entire enemy group with maybe one exception will simply rush forward, throw grenades at me then dog rush me and melee/blast me. And i have a threat reduction.

Its the same reason i didnt liek playing before and it does not seam to be any better.

And let me just make this clean.

If your just going to post.

"I dont have this trouble."

Then shut up and don't bother. I don't care if you have had the troulbe or not. I DO, Pretty much every other time i beam down. Its gotten to the point that when i Explore if i get. (Aproche Planet) I just warp out.

P.S. I does seam to happen WAY more offten on explore.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I've found its actually best to just ignore the explore missions in the klingon zones, way to many chances of runing up against a swordmaster. On the other hand there are only two story missions (with klingons at least) that I've ever found to be really difficult.

1. The one with marel paris where you have to save the conference, that last room in the embasy is a particular *****, often running up against two swordmasters and a dahar master let alone whatever else is in the room. you can actually pull the group seperate of the dahar master, just put your away team a few corners away from the room, shoot the guy closest to the doorway once and run back to your officers. 9 times out of ten the dahar master stays where he is.
2. The doomsday mission has a spawn with two swordmasters and bunch of officers of various types in it, I've actually learned to avoid that mob entirely since all you have to do is grab the torpedo.

I've noticed the breen thots can be a royal pain in the cold series too, some of their attacks oneshot you no matter what gear you have or what level you are.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-11-2011, 10:36 PM
So i Have gathered.

I have basically just given up on the exploration missions all together.
And the breen are a pain for the reason stated.

But thats kind of my point.
This should have been fixed by now.
Its just lazy to be honest.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-11-2011, 10:46 PM
I know you don't want to hear this, but if you are having trouble, that means you are NOT using the best skills and weapons available. Keep at it, try messing with your skills and Weapons, see if that does make a difference. Everyone who complains about these things says they think they have the best weapons, and they don't want to mess with what they have. Then they proceed to berate anyone who tells them otherwise. If you are having a problem, you are clearly wrong!
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Wile I surely appreciate your impute I would point out that you CLEARLY did not read parts of my post.

I HAVE the best gear. (By that I mean MK IV at LC and so forth)
actually you never said that in your OP (you said "My gear is the best I can get for my level" but a lot of people Dont have it, saying exactly what gear you have helps and I wouldnt have said it, read my post again....and for the back handed comments I dont want to comment here.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Quote:
In some missions I am fine.
In some missions I die every now and then. (Whiitch is ideal)
And then in Some Missions I die 12 times on one group and then leave the mission.
I feel your pain. Cryptic upgraded the PvE mobs a little while ago, and while much of it is cool, some of it is 'WTF'. Here is a post I wrote about this very problem. The thread that post is in is interesting. Some useful advice for fighting Klingons is here.

Sadly, you pretty much have to fight those encounters "just so". When I ran into them on my VA using tactics that have worked for everything from Borg to Undine, I got slaughtered. It was tragic.

So here are some tips for eking out a victory against Super-Klinks. Some of this you may already be doing, so bear with me.
  1. Armor. I keep a set of Energy Dampening and Polyalloy Weave in my Inventory for both me and my BOffs at the highest Mk and rarity I can afford. I swap out depending on the opponent. Polyalloy Weave is a must against the new Dahar / Swordmasters.
  2. Shields. [PBKB] (point-blank knockback) shields are good against melee-ists as it has a chance to knock them over each time they hit you, which interrupts them (I think). [Rev] (Revenge) shields aren't bad either, but they just have a chance to do damage to your attacker (ranged or melee).
  3. Weapons. I use two Exploit weapons (sniper rifles) and give my BOffs all Expose weapons. They are the highest Mk and rarity I can afford. Also, try to take BOffs on away missions that have traits boosting Expose chance or duration.
  4. Focus Fire. The 'Y' key is your friend.
  5. Consumables. Hypos and weapon power cells are your friends. Don't skimp. Get the large ones. I give stacks to my BOff's, too, but they go through them like candy so only pass those out for the tough encounters.
  6. Tribbles. Give them to everyone. Buy 'em or breed 'em. Your BOff's will use them. I gave them all the damage buff / health regen tribbles.
  7. Stun. Anything that stuns the bad guys buys you time. All phasers have a chance to do this. All stun pistols do this as well. Stun grenades are cool, too.
  8. Melee? Melee ignores shields, which is why Dahar / Swordmasters are so powerful. Unfortunately, they're way better at melee than we are. Tacs can spec into melee skills and be pretty scary, but most people don't. You can gear up with a bat'leth or lirpa and start wacking Klinks but is it worth it? It's fun, and on most encounters it shouldn't matter. Against a Swordmaster, I'd stick with ranged weapons since he wants to be in melee with you. The first link in my sig is a good read if you're thinking about trying melee.
  9. Tactics. Check my sig for fuzun's Bridge Officer Combat Guide. The first time I ran into the new Klingon blender my away team got wiped. The second time I set up in the hall outside, used a rally point to keep my BOff's there, then ran to the door, shot a bad guy and ran back (un-rally pointing my BOff's). Prepping for the fight made the difference.
  10. BOff Skills. This really depends on your playstyle. I've found two turret Engineers, a medic Sci and a shieldbreaker Sci (tachyon harmonic) works well. The best thing about fabrications is they draw aggro away from you, allowing you the time to Exploit the bad guys. I prefer turrets / drones because they help a little with damage while sucking aggro. YMMV.

That's a rough overview. The Klingon cuisinart sucked at VA but was beatable. I would not want to face that encounter at Lt. Cmdr. Best of luck, and I hope this helps.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by opzulu View Post
Difficulty only makes you take wounds, these wounds hurt your performance.
Difficulty also make the mobs able to take and deal more damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
I know you don't want to hear this, but if you are having trouble, that means you are NOT using the best skills and weapons available. Keep at it, try messing with your skills and Weapons, see if that does make a difference. Everyone who complains about these things says they think they have the best weapons, and they don't want to mess with what they have. Then they proceed to berate anyone who tells them otherwise. If you are having a problem, you are clearly wrong!
The Dahar Master and Swordmaster are way too powerful. They have far more shield points, health, and do far more damage than NPCs in their same group, melee notwithstanding. I'm not an uber ground PvPer, but I'm no slouch at ground combat, either. My VA away team and me were killed in 30 seconds by one Dahar Master and one Swordmaster. There were other NPC's in the encounter but those were the two moving from BOff to BOff to me, dropping them in three hits and almost dropping me in the same. A hypo later and I'm dead, and their shields weren't even down (and the Swordmaster got focus fired from the start).

Can it be beat? At VA, yeah. Like I said, I wouldn't want to face that at Lt. Cmdr. The strength of those two mobs is what's clearly wrong.

EDIT: Also, the Dahar Master and Swordmaster are pretty much immune to anything that could slow them down. Mines, stun, the Ophidian Cane all have vastly reduced duration / effect against them. That's why I got wiped the first time I ran into them. I always lead with a stun grenade. Those two didn't give a crap. One of my BOff's has an AoE stun weapon. They didn't care about that, either. Yeah, there's definitely something off about them.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Why can bosses STILL one shot me some times. And I Mean hit me for 800 damage when i only have 400 total sheidl/health.
Are you playing with the Difficulty/Punishment Slider on Normal, Advanced, or Elite when that happens?