Lt. Commander
# 21
04-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstarraven View Post
Why can I still not find some of the scan items on missions because they are in the map?
Why do I still run up on Combat Missions with 2 Swordsmasters, 2 Munitions officers, a Officer A Targ Handler and 4 warriors. On Normal.
Why is there no Threat table on this Game? And don't tell me there is. I can send MY ENTIRE team forward to attack the enemy, Stand Back and do nothing and every enemy runs right at me... And I have -20% threat Generation.
Why can bosses STILL one shot me some times. And I Mean hit me for 800 damage when i only have 400 total sheidl/health.
- I haven't come across a scan mission I can't complete in a long time...
- Klingon Swordmasters ARE out of line. This can be seen in Foundry, where the Swordmaster will kill any opposition ojou pitch him against... Has been this way for a few months now.
- Threat is, and has always been, out of control...
- Bosses one-shotting I find very rare. I've only seen this on Normal from the revamped Romulan/Reman Captain in the fetured episode.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I have this same problem on both of my Tactical officers, but not on my Engineering or Science officers. I believe there's a bug with the way Tactical Captains generate aggro.

I can be around the corner and completely out of sight of the enemy, but the moment I tell my BOs to attack, every enemy in the room will make a beeline for me. They will ignore everything my BOs do, including multiple tactical BOs using Draw Fire 1 & 2, in order to get up in my face and stay there.

NOTHING stops them from getting on my face and staying there. And they stay there until they're dead.

They still all end up getting dead, but it's very annoying and frustrating. I don't know how many times I've been playing and yelled; "Get outta my face!" I really don't want all of the enemies glued to my nose. Also, both of my weapons' special abilities are cones. Well if all of the enemies are grouped around me then those don't work. Not to mention that it's just stupid for people with ranged weapons to rush up and crowd around me in order to shoot me.

Also, I'm convinced that none of the ground racial abilities work, except for the click abilities.

I built my Klingon Tactical from the beginning to be good at ground combat, so he has multiple racial abilities that are supposed to protect him from knockback. They do nothing. He gets knocked around just as often as everyone else.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Really it comes down to this:

Ground Combat has issues. < Your doing it wrong.

Both statements are true, but one of them has a larger impact on gameplay.

There is no one awesome mega build to be successful at ground combat, but their are guidelines that will make your life sooo much easier. Its pretty far from "WOW's raiding build" ridiculousness as I understand it, again their are just certain things you need to watch out for and be aware of.

That said many of your statements are right about ground combat.
-Swordmasters are too hard versus the beginning levels.
-Aggro is really messed up in this game.
-Many of the mobs are lopsided in their high versus low ranked NPCs.

After playing around with how ground works I usually have little problem with advanced mobs and enjoy it much more then when I first started the game. If your interested shoot me a pm and ill show you ingame how to deal with ground combat ingame.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-12-2011, 04:59 PM
The aggro issue, Dahar Masters/Swordmasters issue aside ...

What's your loadout in terms of weapons/armor/shields, BOs and their skills?
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-13-2011, 03:14 PM
I used to have problems with getting mobbed and going down quickly... But since I learned how to build my character and train officers, it has been greatly mitigated.

Also, if you're playing on teams at all, make sure everyone is matching level so they're not getting hit by +10 enemies or +30s...

My strategy is to play engineer and use a mostly engineer away team with the best Bunker Fab kit I can get for my level. Force Field Dome is your friend. If you're getting mobbed, and play engineer, do what I do, place your Officers a bit away from the enemies, have them toss down chroniton mines, then quantum mortars. Those seem not to trigger aggression much. THEN phaser turrets (those almost always trigger aggressive tendencies of enemies), then support drones if you have any (they also trigger aggression).

Then run up, place yourself in the middle of your 4 guys. Drop your own force field dome from a bunker fab kit. Drop your own phaser turret (for me this usually means there are 4 phaser turrets and 2 quantum mortars on the ground) and a support drone. Blast the crap out of everything. Target targ handlers, swordmaster and medics first, appx in the that order. Maybe targ handlers then medics. Make sure your officers target your targets. They go down much faster when fire is focused.

I tend to run high level [reg]x2 personal shields on my crew and myself as well as polyalloy weave armor. If you find a mission that drops the regx2 shields, repeat it several time to equip your guys. Usually it's better to keep lower end regx2 shields than to upgrade to the next higher Mk of shield without regx2. Just upgrade when you can get a higher Mk WITH regx2. For a while I was running Mk VIII weapons paired with Mk V [reg]x2 shields... And doing quite well.

But, yeah, for keeping enemies off you early, nothing beats a force field dome. I'm digging the Lvl III FFD of my new Mk X Bunker Fab kit. Fabulous! My teammates usually appreciate it too. Usually when slogging through indoor maps, if I see enemies in a room on the map, I'll run up to somewhere just before the door and position my team at the doorway or just beyond it, tell them which stuff to drop. Then run up to the door and drop my force field dome to keep the enemies inside the room while we wail on them. Keeps them from sneaking around behind.

Honestly, the only time I really ever have problems is if several squads mob all at the same time (even then we usually survive) or if someone isn't matching level and we're getting hit with +10-+30 level enemies. That's a heck of a cluster--ck...

Though, I will say that Breaking the Planet is almost always a giant cluster---... So, in that case, yeah, something seems like it needs to be fixed. Can't tell you how many times we've gone in as a complete squad and just gotten the floor mopped with us. Not sure what it is about that mission. Maybe the mobs are just too big or something.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I think in order to better help you, some more information would be useful. What officer do you have the most trouble on? What, if any ground skills are you using and what BO's and BO powers are you using? It took me a bit before I was able to deal with ground combat effectively, and I'd be happy to help you find the same success I did. I know you want to play the game your way, and that's fine, but to use an example from another popular MMO, if you want to play a healer, and don't spend you talent point's on healing, you are going to be much less effective at it. To an extent, you may have to change some things that you are doing. I can tell you that it gets easier as you level up. Since a sword master at LT level has the same basic power pool as one at VA, he's easier to take down when your BO's have 4 powers each as opposed to just one. So let us know some more specifics as to what your doing and we'll try to help you out.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
I am most certain that by exploit he means the attack mode.
...You know, when you get the shiny circle and your next pew goes BOOM instead?
Lol awesomely put...and now in my sig
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-14-2011, 05:33 PM
So here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

A couple of days ago I'm doing explore missions with a couple of RL friends of mine. I'm playing a Tactical, a friend of mine is playing a Science, another is playing an Engineer. The Engineer has two bridge officers with him.

After a fight I tell everyone that I'm going to go grab this anomaly. The Science Officer and I race for it. I'm in the middle of doing the mini-game when suddenly I'm taking fire. The two guys shooting at me ignore my science friend, shoot at me while they're closing, and then get up in my face and start hitting me.

It seems my Engineer friend decided to just attack the next group without waiting for us. We were over 80 meters away from him and there was a hill and a building between us and him. So the NPC enemies could not possibly have seen us or even knew we were there. But the moment he attacked, two of the NPCs immediately ignored the cone attacks, plasma grenades and Draw Fire 1, to run over and attack me, the Tactical officer.

Tell me there isn't something wrong with that.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post

A couple of days ago I'm doing explore missions with a couple of RL friends of mine. I'm playing a Tactical, a friend of mine is playing a Science, another is playing an Engineer. The Engineer has two bridge officers with him.

After a fight I tell everyone that I'm going to go grab this anomaly. The Science Officer and I race for it. I'm in the middle of doing the mini-game when suddenly I'm taking fire. The two guys shooting at me ignore my science friend, shoot at me while they're closing, and then get up in my face and start hitting me.

It seems my Engineer friend decided to just attack the next group without waiting for us. We were over 80 meters away from him and there was a hill and a building between us and him. So the NPC enemies could not possibly have seen us or even knew we were there. But the moment he attacked, two of the NPCs immediately ignored the cone attacks, plasma grenades and Draw Fire 1, to run over and attack me, the Tactical officer.

This explains why my Tac seems to be so popular on away missions. Yeah, it seems something's up with that.

Question for Eng / Sci players? Does having Draw Fire on your Tac BOff's seem to work at all? I thought it was useless, but if Tac Captains have wonky aggro then maybe Draw Fire isn't as bad as I thought.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-15-2011, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post

That kind of 'long distance' aggro is new to me,but you're right,that is weird.The aggro problem is actually worse when your Tac is a Klingon.I've done STF's with my fleet as a Klingon Tac,and while another Tac is standing right next to me,the Borg all gang up on me.At first I thought I was seeing things,but when I did Infected with my Caitian Tac and another team member brought his Klingon Tac.....they all piled up on him,and my Caitian is fully specced for ground combat and I did more damage than he did.
The current aggro system is not working properly,they really need to rethink the system,not just the line of sight aggro.