Go Back   Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
Login

Lt. Commander
I was thinking about making my very first mission, but I wanted to get some feedback from others who have done theirs.

Do you think it's best to do a full outline of the mission [say, in MS Word or Wordpad...something like that] illustrating everything [even the little things like which objects will be used] and then just transferring that information to the Foundry or just a loose outline illustrating locations and enemies and improv'ing everything else?

Thanks for all the help!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-12-2011, 02:43 PM
This probably is a very individual decision and depends on how you think about storytelling and work with the Foundry.

For what it's worth, here's the system I'm using. I write all the dialoge in Word. That way I can check for spelling errors, read and reread (I find it much easier to do this in a Word document than in the Foundry editor), and make changes.

I only vaguely map out anything other than dialogue. I need to be in the Foundry and playing with maps and the like.

The only disadvantage that I've encountered writing out a Word document is that when I make changes to the dialogue in the Foundry, which I do from time to time, I either need to always cut and paste those changes to the original Word document (or the other way around) or accept a growing gap between my template and the actual mission.

I do, after the mission is done, go back and enter things like objects, placements, costumes, and the like in the original Word document. It's a pain and there are better ways, but doing it in a tortuously slow way like this makes me think about everything and reconsider decisions all the time.

Anyway, that's what I do. Best of luck with your mission-making.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-12-2011, 02:55 PM
It most definitely helps!

I have been happily plugging away at my mission in the Foundry with the benefit of my notes and outline.

NemesisChiken suggests using a program called FreeMind in one of his tutorial videos on construction methodology. I highly recommend not only watching his video, but getting FreeMind to use for your outline.

It is a free program, and has helped me tremendously!

Good luck on your mission-building!
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-12-2011, 03:00 PM
I just wing it, personally. But not everyone works well that way.

I'd say its really up to you, however it works best for you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2011, 03:24 PM
It's probably the smart thing to do... out lining your missions beforehand, that is. I'm finishing up my first mission and I didn't outline very much, but I'm having to revise things as I go along pretty often, especially dialog. It's a big time sink.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-12-2011, 03:26 PM
A lot of people favor this. Personally, any outline I do will either ignore new Foundry assets that could make the mission better or call for assets that, upon looking, aren't there.

I favor having a word document up in another window and alt tab back and forth as I'm outlining so I can look through the asset list.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygod_itsfullofstars
This probably is a very individual decision and depends on how you think about storytelling and work with the Foundry.

For what it's worth, here's the system I'm using. I write all the dialoge in Word. That way I can check for spelling errors, read and reread (I find it much easier to do this in a Word document than in the Foundry editor), and make changes.

I only vaguely map out anything other than dialogue. I need to be in the Foundry and playing with maps and the like.

The only disadvantage that I've encountered writing out a Word document is that when I make changes to the dialogue in the Foundry, which I do from time to time, I either need to always cut and paste those changes to the original Word document (or the other way around) or accept a growing gap between my template and the actual mission.

I do, after the mission is done, go back and enter things like objects, placements, costumes, and the like in the original Word document. It's a pain and there are better ways, but doing it in a tortuously slow way like this makes me think about everything and reconsider decisions all the time.

Anyway, that's what I do. Best of luck with your mission-making.
Humm using word would be a good idea seeing how i spell that being said i'd just goof it up again once i went to rewrite it lol.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-12-2011, 04:21 PM
On your first mission I'd just get to work in the Foundry. You need to come to grips with what is actually available to you, before you can really envision how to use them in a mission. Once you are more familiar with the tools then you can outline what you want to do, or handle projects however you like.

One thing I have discovered is that large dialogue trees make the Foundry unusably laggy. The lag is so great that it's impossible to make maps. As a result I've resorted to writing up all of my dialogues and putting them in llast, after all other maps are made.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
On your first mission I'd just get to work in the Foundry. You need to come to grips with what is actually available to you, before you can really envision how to use them in a mission. Once you are more familiar with the tools then you can outline what you want to do, or handle projects however you like.

One thing I have discovered is that large dialogue trees make the Foundry unusably laggy. The lag is so great that it's impossible to make maps. As a result I've resorted to writing up all of my dialogues and putting them in llast, after all other maps are made.
Over the last week or so, I've been writing down literally everything that's available in the Foundry. All I have left to do is the Costume information [the submenu on the left-hand side after one loads a new project] and the items that can be used in ground missions.

Then I'll have a list of everything available...at least until they update. lol
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I think you definitely need to have some kind of overview of where you want your mission to go. However, one thing I recently learned the hard way was if you get too specific in your goals you will definitely need to have a "plan B" should you find that the foundry will either not do what you want or not do it in a way that "feels right".