Lt. Commander
Say you are writing a mission where you question (talk to contact) 3 people. You go through a list of questions for each "suspect." Then you talk to another person, who asks you to choose one of the suspects as guilty. If you choose the wrong one, how can you allow the player to go back to the previous objective and question them again, like it was the first time?

Also...

Quote:
I also have another question but I didn't want to start another thread.

How do we add time limits to objectives? Or is it even possible? For example, disarm (interact) 3 bombs within 90 seconds, etc...
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-12-2011, 05:20 PM
There are ways to do it but it is unintuitive.

I'd suggest doing the whole thing with triggers rather than objectives. Make the suspects as NPC contacts and have buttons that only turn up when certain conditions have been met. Hm. Now you've got me thinking about a murder mystery plot. Hah.

It would be really nice for these if:

we could have NPCs disappear, get replaced, follow us, and change behavior based on triggers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks.

How do we add time limits to objectives? Or is it even possible? For example, disarm (interact) 3 bombs within 90 seconds, etc...
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
Thanks.

There's no real way to fail anything. Even a dialog failure just lets someone restart the dialog.

There's also no timer. I have a trick to simulate a timer and a trick to simulate failure but both are pretty squarely unintended and not really repeatable multiple times.

If you want to simulate a timer, the best way I know how is to spawn mobs somewhere they will die fast.

For example: create a box filled with Federation mobs that the player can't see. Then spawn enemies in that box with a kill objective. The enemies will die almost as soon as they spawn. For greater consistency, I'd suggest dropping enemies to their death in a box that the player can't see. As the kill credit for the enemies happens, you can trigger events at non-timed intervals.

For example, I've toyed around with animated shuttles.

You basically just place a bunch of shuttles 0.,1 spatial units apart in a brief pattern. Every time one of the kill objectives completes, you despawn one shuttle and spawn the next, creating an animated shuttle.

This could work as a trick for a timer. Drop enemies from the right height and they will die in a reliable, predictable amount of time. Their death can be used to trigger events. You can run into your NPC/kill quota for a map very quickly this way, though, and keeping the NPCs out of sight can be a pain.

Another trick I've played with is actually dropping the player from a certain height and having them hit waypoints along the way.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
If you want to simulate total failure, you can do something like pinning the player in a small box of invisible walls, cover the area in fire, and give them a dialogue telling them they have to start again. Or drop from them from a great height into a pit of enemies, killing them. (The fall won't take them below 1 health but the enemies will finish them off.) Then you have a waypoint at the bottom that recreates the floor that disappeared and dropped them into the kill pit.