Lt. Commander
I just read following quote in the Outpost Gamez Interview

Quote:
Travelling from your bridge is a question weíve been answering since before the game launched and donít anticipate a change to our answer in that we donít see it happening any time soon if ever.
I have to say, im very disappointed about this. How in the world can you design a spaceship game with a bridge and then *not* let the player use it properly? Especially with Star Trek, where alot is happening there?

I may be in the minority here, but STO is far to 'arcade' for my taste as of now and i hoped it slowly will take a more strategic direction. I started playing at release, made a year pause (because of it) and came back to check what happend so far.

I was very positivly surprised what you did achieved in the last year, but this is a real bummer and probably showstopper for me.

What you guys and gals think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-13-2011, 04:22 AM
It would be nice to see an updated version of a Bridge Commander/Starfleet Academy/Klingon Academy style gameplay. It should be an optional choice, some people like the system as it is, but I see your point as I currently own and play all the above mentioned games, especially the academy games.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-13-2011, 04:46 AM
Nah... Ive been married before, and noone is allowed to control a Starship from me (!)

Seriously,

It would be a neat thing, but it should be very low on any priority list.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-13-2011, 04:50 AM
I tried it once, she would constantly tell me we were lost. I refused to stop for directions though.

In all seriousness though why? It wouldnt change anything at all about the game and would just be another loading screen for us to go through just to travel, personally I think travelling is the let down of all MMO's you cant make it fun and just being on your bridge or wife wont make it fun..well maybe the wife but thats different.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-13-2011, 04:50 AM
Hehe, that typo made my day. I probably wouldn't have made such a scathing post in the last thread I wrote in.

Bridge control is something for another game. The current system works fine.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-13-2011, 04:51 AM
yea i loved bridge commander style play would be good if you could have a button to go straight from bridge to exterior without a loading screen. then it could be optional to players if they used it. But then you would not be controling wepons but telling a Boff. But i think it is probably pretty far down the list of things, but it would be nice to see, but not sure how it would work in this game and if it would work.

Chris
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-13-2011, 05:05 AM
Okay from a tech point of view -- They'd basically have to TOTALLY redesign the engine.

Why? Because the game wasn't designed to do what you're asking anyways. It's a reason why in insane lag times (especially last year in open beta and launch week) when we'd beam down to a planet we were sometimes our ship, or vise versa.

Each "zone" is flagged ground, or space (I'm sure there is more but for this example this works). If it's a ground map, it uses your player character model, with ground sets.

If it's space, it uses your space ship with space sets. So realistically in the short/mid term yeah no way would they be able to do this properly. (To where you can still see your ship in space but control your PC around a bridge).

Furthermore, while I'm not against the idea, lets say they added it. You now command your ship sitting in the console. Unless they totally ripped Bridge Commanders system you'd have this little window you see things through and that be all. Which if they ripped the bridge commander system where you go into space then there is no difference than what we have now. Combat would be a total nightmare through that tiny window mind you :p

Now, as some people will want to have this option, allowing other players take control of bridge stations and fly the ship together. This also isn't realistic, due to personal reflexes, internet lag, and so on. So by the time you type FIRE!, and the other player reads it, then hits the button then the server picks up that button at least 1-2 seconds have gone by and odds are your chance to fire is long gone.

It'd be FUN sure, realistic? Not in the least bit.

Having a boff fire your weapons etc is basically the computer playing. Always been against that (even when I played Bridge Commander).

PS - It's not like there hasn't been 300 discussions about this all of them saying no so dunno why this is again a shocker.

PPS - I don't claim to know the entire engine but it's just obvious observations that i made the statements above about zoning ^^
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieZ View Post
Bridge control is something for another game. The current system works fine.
I would think putting this in game would involve alot more game mechanics, and agreed with quoted comment, the system work fine, awesome idea for sure!!
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-13-2011, 05:09 AM
Well, beside the typo (sorry, not my native language) i still wonder what purpose the bridge is supposed to have? To put it in Vulkanic words: There is no logic in it. :-)

Anyway, it is not only the bridge thing as i sayed. Honestly, almost everything i love about ST is not in the game and i assume im just better of watching the various series (again, and again... ) than playing this game. It just dont cut it atm.

Sub run out in 2 weeks, maybe i will check back in another year (3 times is a charm).
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-13-2011, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagbard12
Well, beside the typo (sorry, not my native language) i still wonder what purpose the bridge is supposed to have? To put it in Vulkanic words: There is no logic in it. :-)

Anyway, it is not only the bridge thing as i sayed. Honestly, almost everything i love about ST is not in the game and i assume im just better of watching the various series (again, and again... ) than playing this game. It just dont cut it atm.

Sub run out in 2 weeks, maybe i will check back in another year (3 times is a charm).
I believe they are going to be adding functioning interiors soon enough. Starting with a shuttlebay so we dont have to go to ESD et al to change to a shuttle. Crafting stations in your ship have been talked about so stuff to do in your ship will come. Dstahl is committed to making STO more Trek and it looks like he can and will deliver