Lt. Commander
# 21
04-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Um, no. That's why we had dudes with putty foreheads as aliens. It was the cheapest way to do an alien. And let's not forget all of the extra ships made from spare parts. And almost every Excelsior class ship you saw in TNG was a redress of the ST:III Excelsior model.

A big budget they did not have.
Another Data Point:

The squence of the saucer seperation seen in the pilot and other early episodes was filmed at a high cost and had a high liscence fee to use. Since they didn't have the money to reshoot it, and they didn't want to play the fee to reuse the footage, they simply stopped using the seperation as a plot device.

Or so I've heard....

On the point of being on the bridge, the real issue boils down to this: You the avatar cant' be in two places at once ~With This Game Engine~. It is absolutely possible to design such an engine. I'm sure that some games could and will do just that. Those are not STO which is built on a traditional MMO engine where each player has a single avatar at some location.

Now all that said:

I'd love to get rid of sector space totally, turn DSE's into "go find action in the X Cluster" missions, and do all my warp travel from the bridge view.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-13-2011, 01:37 PM
bridge commander game view while in sector space would been awesome as for combat i would not reccomend it
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papragu
well it would be possible to do that. IDK if any of you ever played SW Galaxies. Works like charm. You all can go and move around aboard your gunship, man cannons or pilot the ship without any loading screen. zoom into cockpit view or zoom out to the external cam as it is now on STO.

And actually all those function were planned for this game before it was released, that was one of the big marketing/advertised functions. Then the game was released and none of it is there. Really sad.
This thing to rememeber about Star Wars Galaxies is that if you could move around in your ship you could NOT move around in space, and vice versa. Sitting down at the console to pilot the ship locked you in position "in front of the window", and standing up to walk around did the reverse, locking your ship in place.

Basically, what SWG did that this game doesn't is make the loading screen instantaneous when you went from sitting on the bridge to standing up. If we had a first person point of view mode for space combat, where you couldn't see your ship, or could see the view from your ship "framed" by a viewscreen, it could be just like that.

Another interesting point is the only ships you could stand up in were the multiplayer ones. So it's possible that when you were walking around on the ship, and your friend was piloting the ship, HE was the avatar that was on the space map flying around. You could look out the windows and see a view from his point of view, in effect.

I'll admit that I would really like to be able to set a course on the map, then pop to the bridge and still be travelling along in the sector. Heck, I'd like to be able to hail Star Fleet and check my missions and not be forced to stop dead in space. However, that starts into having "dummy" avatars on the Sector map while you're walking around in the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayyde
However, that starts into having "dummy" avatars on the Sector map while you're walking around in the ship.
Which is the general solution I've seen proposed (including by a dev or two) - a placeholder object stuck on autopilot moving along.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-14-2011, 04:20 AM
I'd like to see some optional features on the bridge.

Actually controlling your ship, though, isn't all that important, but would be cool.

Perhaps if we could talk to our helmsman and tell them to set a course for a star system. Then a timer begins. This would take longer than it would to travel in sector space.

We could then go down to sickbay and get healed, play cards with the Doc, chase a few nurses, go to ten forward, sing a few songs, go to the holodeck, practice worf's calasthenics program.

When the timer runs out, only after finishing your current activity, your helmsman pops up asking you what you want to do now.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-14-2011, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayyde
Heck, I'd like to be able to hail Star Fleet and check my missions and not be forced to stop dead in space.
You can already do that There's an option to not have dialogues stop you moving. I set it a LONG time ago
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-14-2011, 04:51 AM
I've played Bridge Commander. STO Should NOT become Bridge Commander. As an Avid PVPer, Accolade Hunter and Fleet leader I find the idea of controlling your ship from inside your bridge horrid when it comes to an MMORPG of this magnitude. The Bridge should be nothing more than a road to a captains quarters and the interior should be customizable at will in an Animal Crossing sense of doing it.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-14-2011, 04:57 AM
Why not throw in some voice command attack patterns, defensive patterns and what ever else you can think of that you'd want voice activated for good measure.

Can't say I'd ever command my ship from my bridge since 3rd person view gives a much more detailed point of view. But having voice command would be an interesting way to make the neighbors think I'm just that extra bit crazy.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
The real fix to this is to:

a) eliminate sector space
b) make DSE's a location we can warp to
c) Put us on the bridge while we warp and all that happens is a timer ticks down as we travel
d) Bridge stations let us change course, and when we arrive at a system, THEN we load to the tactical view if required or we simply fly up to the planet, see the communication dialogue and then beam down.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagbard12
I just read following quote in the Outpost Gamez Interview

I have to say, im very disappointed about this. How in the world can you design a spaceship game with a bridge and then *not* let the player use it properly? Especially with Star Trek, where alot is happening there?

I may be in the minority here, but STO is far to 'arcade' for my taste as of now and i hoped it slowly will take a more strategic direction. I started playing at release, made a year pause (because of it) and came back to check what happend so far.

I was very positivly surprised what you did achieved in the last year, but this is a real bummer and probably showstopper for me.

What you guys and gals think?
I have authored many threads with this same view point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pist0lpete
It would be nice to see an updated version of a Bridge Commander/Starfleet Academy/Klingon Academy style gameplay. It should be an optional choice, some people like the system as it is, but I see your point as I currently own and play all the above mentioned games, especially the academy games.
I would be satisfied with a working view screen, able to set course from the bridge and travel through sector space