Lt. Commander
My Engineer just made Commander and he jumped into a D7. In my first couple of PvP matches I noticed that I came up a little short on the heals when facing a good team. This is my first time trying the healing role in PvP.

I have ET1 and Aux to SIF2 for team heals and was carrying PH and Tractor beam in the sci slots.

I am dropping tractor beam for hazard emitters or Sci Team, But I don't know which would be a better choice.

And I also wanted some advice on power management. I was at full weapons power and would use an aux battery or my eps skill when It was time for a heal. But a lot of the time both were on cool down when needed

Is this a good strategy? Or should I run at a higher aux setting while useing an EPS console and adjusting power settings?

Thanks in advance.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Get SciTeam 1 and either TSS 2 or HE 2.

Since you're only Commander, go with 75 shields/75 Aux
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Danger
My Engineer just made Commander and he jumped into a D7. In my first couple of PvP matches I noticed that I came up a little short on the heals when facing a good team. This is my first time trying the healing role in PvP.

I have ET1 and Aux to SIF2 for team heals and was carrying PH and Tractor beam in the sci slots.

I am dropping tractor beam for hazard emitters or Sci Team, But I don't know which would be a better choice.

And I also wanted some advice on power management. I was at full weapons power and would use an aux battery or my eps skill when It was time for a heal. But a lot of the time both were on cool down when needed

Is this a good strategy? Or should I run at a higher aux setting while useing an EPS console and adjusting power settings?

Thanks in advance.
If you are a healer, you dont run full weapons, your main objective isnt DPS, so either run full defense, or full aux. ALso your engy consoles are very important as well. A SIf generator is a must for healing, also the Field generator for the shields is a must too, I go with one armor and one eps console for my other 2 slots
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the replies so far!
I guess a visit to the BO trainer and exchange is on the to do list tomorrow.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Healing cruisers are the best hull healers so the highest level Eng team and A2SIF are a good focus. I agree with the 75 shields / 75 aux. If you end up with more bonuses to shield power (like a high level emergency to shields) then you can adjust your aux power depending upon how much you heal versus your survivability.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Don't forget that Tactical Team is part of the healing kit now too. It's good for putting on your heal target preemptively to prevent the shields from dropping. Tac Team is a good compliment to TSS, since it will effectively focus all the regeneration from TSS onto the shield facings that are taking damage.

A2SIF is generally a higher priority than ET, especially since ET puts ST and TT on cooldown. A2SIF has a pretty quick cooldown, so it's often okay to use preemptively for the hull resists -- it's usually cooled down before you need it again for the heal. My main use for ET is for when A2SIF is on cooldown.

Don't be afraid to use your fast cooldown abilities preemptively. Right now that will be your teams and A2SIF. With practice you can time it so you use the ability for the resist and then have it ready again when you really need it for the heal.

When you get more engineering slots available, Extend Shields is also very useful, and like TSS it's most powerful when combined with Tac Team. Since Sci slots will stay limited, you'll be likely to end up using ES for your main shield resist (since it has a very fast cooldown) with TSS to fill in the gaps.

Learning when to switch power setting will help a lot as a healer. Very often your team mates just won't need big heals, so tossing them resists at 25 or 50 Aux while you continue to focus on your weapons will be fine. If you see that your buddy has 15 seconds left on his own EPTS, if you just throw him a weak resist as a back up or a weak heal to take care of the bleedthrough damage, then he'll probably be okay. When you see that your heal target's defensive buffs are fading, that's the time to go full aux and drop the big heals.

At Commander rank there will be a lot of time when your heals are all on cooldown, so you might as well try to squeeze out some extra damage then. When I'm running high-Aux I try to get it to 125 with at least 50 in shields, but I don't use high-Aux all the time. Since you won't always be able to anticipate when you need high-aux, it can help a lot to keep a stack of Aux batteries on hand for emergencies.

At higher levels you can probably run your DPS power levels more often, and just time your Aux-based heals to line up with EPTAux or EPS transfer.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-17-2011, 12:32 PM
The Healing and Taking part of my "PvP Tutorial" Foundry mission is done. I have only tested it in the Foundry char's Miranda (Healing sucks without heals) and with VA chars, but if you're interested in seeing how well it works. (Title: "Space Combat Lesson and Exercise" Still under Review Content. It is not done yet, but the tanking and healing parts are in.)
[/Shameless Plug]