Lt. Commander
# 21
04-14-2011, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkent View Post
spock says it perfectly "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few..."

you speak of being fair.

Do you think it is fair if 5000 people have their gametime interupted so that 50 people do not have their gametime interupted?

unfortunately us UK players are in the minority and therefore, to inconvinience the fewest people, downtime is at our lunchtime. Even worse is for Australian players who have downtime during their evenings.

being fair involves thinking of evryone, not what effects you, and Cryptic chose the downtime fairly, to inconvinience the fewest players.
I believe there are more than 50 player being effected by the server down time.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-14-2011, 06:03 AM
I live in Alaska and work off hours, so usually I miss a days playing when they shutdown for maintenence.
I think they shut down at this time because of the population of players online is at its lowest.
I admin for a popular cs server and we aim for the down times to do maintenence or reboots, so we dont lose population at peak times. Just don't take it personal?
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-14-2011, 06:06 AM
You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I live on the East Coast of the US and I am affected by the downtime as well every single time. It's not just you guys in the UK. Just deal with it and move on. I do
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Well the server was getting a bit of lag, especially with the "private tell" feature, so a good long and thorough maintenance is might be what is needed.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes0111
I believe there are more than 50 player being effected by the server down time.
No, that was definately not just a simple example to explain a concept, it was based on exact facts... lol

obviously the numbers are incorrect, it was just an example to explain that it is better to upset a few people than lots of people.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-14-2011, 06:48 AM
hey i am in usa and can't play 2 so the load is sharded
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texus
The above is not the issue. What is the issue is that all of the down time for either patches or Maintence is always done at the same time, which effects players such as myself from the UK and other areas. My lil wish list is that they shared this with other countrys, make it a bit more fair.
And you should realize the window that was currently selected was done based on datamining the time when the servers are least used by subscribers, so unfortunately your prime play time fall in that window. Also FYI most MMOs do this (ie they pick times where data shows the servers see the least usage. It's simple numbers, they do it at a time that affects the least number of subscribers. The only time that a maintenence period would change is if data shows the time of 'least usage' has moved.

And as the game normally runs 24/7; no matter what time they pick for maintenence, some group/courtries 'prime play time' will be affected, so honestly in the end, from an overall business standpoint, it makes sense to choose a time that affects the least amount of subscribers overall, regardless of what area of the world they play from.