Lt. Commander
# 1 Hardware Question...
04-14-2011, 08:53 AM
My computer died. This would be my epic Quad Core Game Box. Not a big deal it'll be a few weeks I'm building a new one to replace it.

I do have an AMD 4200+ x2 dual core system I do Computer Aided Design work on. If I transfer my gaming video card over to this box will it run STO? Don't care if I have to turn the eye-candy down.

I'm curious that's all. A few weeks without the game is No Big Deal (TM) I'd like to continue while my new system is being built though.

Oh and if this is more suited for the tech support sections I apologize. It's more of a "what if" rather than a serious "support" issue.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-14-2011, 08:55 AM
I ran the game on a six year old dv6000 that had a dual core AMD Turion Mobile and an integrated ATI chipset. And I was able to play the game alright. (admittedly with less than ideal graphics)
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-14-2011, 08:57 AM
It's not so much the eye-candy that draws me... it's the fact that I'm in MOTHER****ING STAR TREK!!!!1... I mean the storyline and the social interaction.

Yeah yeah I'm an unashamed ultra-geek. Shoot me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Anything that handles CAD should handle STO easily.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Marie
I do have an AMD 4200+ x2 dual core system
Looking at some charts, I see that's a mid-range processor from 2007... that'll be fine. I'm running a Pentium D from a year before that with the "recommended" graphics. It's fairly smooth with solo play. If I group, I have to crank it down a click. STO isn't too demanding.

I'm waiting for a few more parts so I can put together a new rig.... ohhhh the wait is killing me! I'm like a kid a few days before xmas morning, arghh!! :p
Lt. Commander
# 6 May I ask too?
04-15-2011, 02:08 AM
First off, forgive me. I am not trying to hijack, just a bit cautious with the "strict rules" policy.

Okay, I know a lot of people here know a lot about computers. So please give me some advice. I am in need of a new computer. Don't ask about my current sad sad horrible sad "machine" it is just too bad to describe.

Anyway, I am going to try to save money by building it myself. First time I will be doing that. I have a kit that I am going to order from tigerdirect, that looks really good to me. It is a bit much for a first time build I know, but I really want to give it a try. It had pretty much everything I want and cheap in comparison to a pro-builder. Keep in mind, I have a limited budget for alterations.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3 TUF Edition Motherboard
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40Ghz Quad core unlocked
Corsair CWCH50-1 Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz RAM
Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black HD
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 1GB GDDR5 PCIe
Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner
Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower Case
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W 80+ Bronze

Is there anything else I would need to get? Also, is there anything that I might want to upgrade in the above package?
What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-15-2011, 03:47 AM
The only thing there is maybe a 570 over the 560, and consider a 120gb vertex 2 or equivalent SSD for the boot drive.

Both qol rather than absolute must haves thought.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-15-2011, 05:46 AM
My issue solved, just heard about the kill switch. Although, I found and equal or better amd/ati prebuilt setup for just a bit more. Unsure of the manufacturer, but if I am going to be screwed, may as well have a warranty.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-15-2011, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felisdraconius
My issue solved, just heard about the kill switch. Although, I found and equal or better amd/ati prebuilt setup for just a bit more. Unsure of the manufacturer, but if I am going to be screwed, may as well have a warranty.
Check out these sources:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ (Make fully customizable systems)
http://www.hp.com (Consumer desktops will run STO without sweat; Business desktops will run STO server)
http://www.alienware.com (Because they are on the STO main page)