Lt. Commander
# 1 User Generated Voiceover
04-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I was thinking about this. Cryptic has a history of enabling some unsupported features for user enjoyment such as Demorecord and the Linux players for STO (which coderanger did make some tweaks for).

Here is my suggestion:

- Include some blank audiofiles in the game client with names like UGCVoiceover01.fsb
- Create Foundry triggers to activate these files
- In turn, any players interested in doing voiceover could download FMOD and create appropriately named voiceover files.
- Players share these VO packs, which go in the Localdata\sound\win32\PROJECTID directory. (I can confirm that putting an appropriately named soundfile here will cause it to play in place of the sound file in the game client.)

This would be unsupported. Users who download the VO from third party sites would do so at their own risk. But it would allow Foundry authors to release VO for missions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
This would be unsupported. Users who download the VO from third party sites would do so at their own risk. But it would allow Foundry authors to release VO for missions.
As I said in chat. Great idea. Wonderfully creative. And totally against the EULA. Client modding is disallowed in any form.

What if (and it's perfectly possible) there's a bug in the audio code that causes a vulnerability when playing a badly formed file? All kinds of bad things could happen, and Cryptic don't want the liability or the support expense.

User VOs for Foundry missions are unlikely to happen officially either. In keeping with Foundry policy, all files would need to be kept on Cryptic's servers, and they'd just take up too much space.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Well, what I'm asking for here is not so much the standard client mod so much as it would be Cryptic opening up an avenue for users to pursue, similar to demorecord, while recusing themselves of any liability. Like demorecord or the widgets they put in to recognize Linux.

What I was discussing in chat with you was the idea of using existing sound FX in an unintended way. This would be Cryptic creating a WAY for us to do this.