Lt. Commander
# 1 I came back last week...
04-11-2011, 09:11 AM
to do ground pvp for the first time after being away for 2 months. I was in a pug and I ended up with 20k (outdamage everyone else combined) damage and 30 kills and no deaths on my part. I am very good at what I do but NOT great. The fact that I can do as I did after being away for more than 2 months suggests there is something really wrong with the level of competition in STO's ground pvp.
Its no fun rolling over peeps.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I know you've been away but it shouldn't take more than a few seconds of skimming the forum to get back up to speed. For example, threads lacking FAW QQ are not approved. Please consider this when posting in the future. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Who will play the LoL Ground part while Beagles is unavailable?

I think nothing has changed in ground PvP in the past 2 months. If anything, the queues are probably even slower and there are even less people. Which seems to reflect the Space PvP Queues.

Come back for Season 04 and see if the ground combat revamp drove more people into ground or even the last one out.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I think nothing has changed in ground PvP in the past 2 months. If anything, the queues are probably even slower and there are even less people. Which seems to reflect the Space PvP Queues.

Come back for Season 04 and see if the ground combat revamp drove more people into ground or even the last one out.
This. Even though I don't play for very long when I am able to get onto STO, I could usually grab at least one ground game a night. Now, it's one a week, maybe.

The only times it pops are when the few PUGgers are supplemented by Fista Sistas' numbers, and since they've started spacing too, ground is pretty much dead :'(

Say what you will about the actual mechanics of the revamp, I believe it may be the only thing that can bring people in to ground PvP at this point. I just hope it's done well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Um given cryptics past i doubt they will do anything good unless its for the C-store.

@ the rate this games going they would be as well paying a proper developer to take this game off there hands & have them fix it b4 they have no option but to make it FREE2PLAY.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I suppose ground mechanics haven't changed much at all since launch...besides the ghostbuster gun.

Although I will say this: Engineers have it way easier on the ground than anyone else, unless it's straight melee combat (a la Coliseum), in which tactical has an advantage.

Poor science officers...stuck without damage buffs or pets+shield resists to help them...
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Ground has the same problems it did months ago.

I've had fun with Commander and Captain level ground stuff, but I do that as a break while leveling alts, so I don't really care if the queues take and hour or more. At VA ground just isn't worth bothering with because there's not much to do while waiting.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-13-2011, 01:55 AM
LOL Ground :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-13-2011, 07:16 AM
There is something about this statement in a interview that seems a little off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStahl
A. The STO community has done a fantastic job of communicating their wants and desires for the game and I’d ask that you continue to submit and post your feedback and ideas because we continue to value your input. Ultimately, this is your game and our goal is to take it in the direction Star Trek fans want it to go.

Well someone asked the question of course the response is political.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost Games
Q. Role-playing is very popular in the Star Trek community and adds another facet of game play. However criticism has been noted from the forums and other sources that Cryptic caters to role-players through the costumes and customization. How is Cryptic trying to maintain a balance between role-players and a more core gaming audience that is interested in playing a great Cryptic game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStahl
A. Our driving force is to add as much “Star Trek” to STO as we can on a continual basis. Whether that be new costumes, new locations, new missions, or new episodes, at the end of the day we focus on making everything more Trek. If we are catering to anyone, it is Star Trek fans. If you are playing the game and don’t love Star Trek, we may not be making all the items and features you want.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Cryptic always says that different people have different jobs, and that someone building a (C-Store) costume doesn't infringe on creating a mission, a bugfix or a game design element.

But it is becoming clear to me that this doesn't have to mean that Cryptic actually has an equal (by whatever means we define "equal") amount of workforce for each area. The C-Store mostly seems to allow Cryptic to keep around more art/costume designers (and yet still only one CapnLogan?). It doesn't help one bit with the people responsible for balance changes and new game mechanics.

And going by the preceding "political" response - if these system/mechanical designers exist and are hired, their primary concern is with devising new mechanics that reflect the Startrek IP. And the exact damage buff Beam Fire At WIll or the resistance bonuses granted by shields isn't really something reflecting Startrek IP. But stuff like a duty roster system and all the mechanical consequence of that might.