Lt. Commander
# 21
04-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
WOW's pvp is pretty good.

STO's needs alot of work though. And not just new maps either. It needs new game modes, to go with that, along with a dev team that actually listens to tribble feedback before they put something out the door to live.

Tribble shouldn't amount to being just "Hey test the new cheese build before it goes live, so you know what ship and skill set you should be using!"
WoW is both good and bad. The good part is that there is a lot of effort balancing it.

The bad part is that the classes are mostly balanced 1-1 (as much as people deny that is the goal), which means that they don't have very different roles. Some classes are better than others, but they all have to accomplish the same tasks. For example, almost every melee class has snares and gap closers, so if a class lacks one of those it doesn't really add flavor, it just makes the class bad. Some classes do everything required, and others don't. I've always had certain classes I prefer in WoW, but they aren't always viable choices; sometimes another class does every thing that defines the class I'm playing, but they do it better or also bring some other utility.

STO ground is a bit homogenous in the same way, since everyone basically relies on expose/exploit and ranged damage, but STO is pretty unique. Ranged attacks dominate STO, no matter what class or build you are playing. The shield mechanics and use of LOS to block mean that a good player doesn't need a "healer". The expose/exploit system gives everyone burst damage potential, as well as being something that a quick player can defend against. If the spam and targeting issues could be fixed I would think that even STO's ground combat would be better than WoW's.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-16-2011, 01:00 PM
EVE:

As mentioned the actual piloting isn't as "twitchy" as sto can be but it's still fantastic. Anyone who can learn the nuances of manual ship movement can take on a small gang of bads and be successful though.

The real appeal for me is that anyone can be attacked anywhere, even in "high security" space. There are no safe zones where a player is physically unable to iniitate aggression against another player, only NPC space police that will punish the aggressor, often after the target has been killed if you're doing it right. Also, loss is loss, your ship is blown up and you need another one, and whoever killed you can take your stuff that survives the explosion.

The only negative thing I can think to say about PVP in eve is that ofc since the losses are "real", this leads to "blobbing" by terrible players (there are a lot) who are afraid to lose their pixels and it can be time consuming to find good 1v1 fights. I don't think this can be applied to this game because there are too many carebears that play the game and they would start a riot.

Darkfall:

Great pvp when you can find it. However the grind involved with character development makes even korean game designers balk at the absurdity of it. Combat is entirely fps style, you have to aim your arrows, magic, and melee; no tab targeting, no "invisibility" stealth. Plus side, if you have money to burn you can buy a built up character account, I really can't put how ridiculous the grind is into words, you have to see it for yourself.

It's basically oblivion online, where your skills go up through actual use (they have recently added offline skilling a la eve style, but only established players with a lot of gold built up can take advantage of it). Also, since there is territory to be owned and lost, coupled with full loot pvp, it has the same problems as EVE in that *****es and baddies who are afraid to lose their pixels band together in huge zergs and it can be hard to find ~goodfights~~~~. Definitely would not translate well to this game with the aforementioned sheltered carebear population.

Guild Wars:

Pretty good pvp. The game is heavily instanced and there is no open or world pvp, but everyone has the option to make a PVP only character that is maximum level and has access to all the skills and the best equipment. All the EQ in the game is standardized, the only difference between the pvp and pve gear is cosmetics.

There are a bunch of classes and skills, but everyone is limited to only using 8 skills at a time. The amount of viable builds are enormous, there are very few if any "bad" or unworkable skills, I'd say is one of the best balanced games currently available. I haven't played it in literally years though because I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie and I love the thrill of having my stuff at risk if I mess up, as much as I love looting the corpses of people I just roflstomped.

This model would be the most compatible with STO however very unlikely to happen since you people spend too much money on respec tokens already and cryptic would never want to lose that honeypot.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Does anyone still play CoX? If so, how's PvP in that looking?
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-17-2011, 02:49 AM
I'll vouch for WoW PvP in that it was extremely competitive for more reasons than are worth mentioning. Although heated competition wouldn't have the same effect on STO PvP...there's something to be said about giving incentive to excel at a particular task (winning) so people will at least feel a sense of accomplishment.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Does anyone still play CoX? If so, how's PvP in that looking?
I play that, but I don't PvP in it. Waaaay too many builds that are fine for PvE, that just don't work in PvP at all.

I actually PvP to socialize. In STO there would never be a reason to interact with another player if not for PvP. I don't know anyone who plays this game, and no one needs help running missions or anything, so the only time teams are needed if for PvP. I guess STFs would be different, but after soloing for 50 levels, I wouldn't have a clue how to get involved with STFs.

CoX is really the opposite. If I want to PvP in that then I'm all on my own, but I can spend all day in PvE groups. Most of the PvE content *can* be soloed, but if I flag myself as looking for a group or spend maybe 5 minutes organizing a team, then it's easy to team up. I really don't feel the need to PvP in CoX because there are plenty of people doing PvE.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-17-2011, 11:06 AM
i actually quite like the pvp in sto (at least the space part) more than i have in other games. some of the spam has hurt it over the last few months but i still enjoy it a lot. i just wish we had more ways to use it, like a territory war.

warhammer had cool pvp because of the way it worked. capturing castles and forts with huge armies of hundred of so players was awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
warhammer had cool pvp because of the way it worked. capturing castles and forts with huge armies of hundred of so players was awesome.
Yeah, Warhammer is seriously the most fun I've ever had in a PvP game. Flipping zones was a blast.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
WoW is both good and bad. The good part is that there is a lot of effort balancing it.

The bad part is that the classes are mostly balanced 1-1 (as much as people deny that is the goal), which means that they don't have very different roles.
Right and wrong.
Balanced on 1v1 basis? True.
They don't have different roles? Wrong.
Each class has three skill trees. What you get is a great potential for PvP/PvE, 1 vs 1 and team vs team. Not so useless. And not so wrong unlike STO's mentality of "Balancing Class based on team".

Tho for me, WoW lost charm when WOTLK hit. Vanilla and TBC were my favorite! Things changed since then.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Guild Wars is my personal favorite.

While there is no "open world" pvp, there is so much pvp variety, it would make your head spin.

All the maps are instanced, but they have:

Random arenas
Team Arenas
Guild Battles
Hall of Heroes ( 3 sides duking it out)
Cap and hold
Faction Battles ( Luxon and Kurzik sides )
NPC battles ( where you stand on a pedestal and command your NPC heroes to fight for you )
Dueling

Don't feel like PvP'ing,... ok... just use the observer mode and watch any battle going on in the game... at whim.

FRAKING AWESOME

And I am sure I am missing quite a few things.

There are TONS of maps.. maybe over 50 or more..

Also many maps have environmental factors,..such as lava or catapults or teleports.

Finally, they somehow manage to balance the THOUSANDS of powers, making for millions of combinations, that you can bring with you into battle.....because many powers have PvE and PvP stats.

The game is really the gold standard for good pvp.

I cannot wait for the sequel.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-18-2011, 07:45 AM
EVE is the Alpha and Omega of PvP, MMO or otherwise.

S*D