Lt. Commander
# 1 "Build a City" contest!
04-15-2011, 10:27 AM
I've played quite a few Foundry missions, but very few of them have custom made large scale cities(which were seen quite often in Trek episodes). So to get the ball rolling and serve as an inspiration to future authors, lets have a contest

Starting today, April 15th, build your own custom made large scale city. By "custom made", I mean it cannot use any maps with pre-placed buildings and must be made up of individual buildings made/placed by yourself. By "large scale" I mean at least covering 1000x1000 area on the map(which is the same as 4 of the 500x500 building block platforms in a large square).

So heres how the contest will work. You have 1 month from today to finish and submit your entry(by posting the name of the mission and a screenshot) in this thread. After May 15th no more submissions will be accepted, and then I will pick my 10 favorite cities. Afterwards, I will post a poll with these 10 entries for people to vote on. After set amount of time, whichever entry has the most votes will be the winner.

What are the rewards? Well, this contest is just for fun so the main reward is simply to show off your creativity and be recognized for it. If anyone wants to donate any other sort of reward for the winner of the contest, that can be discussed as well.

So get to work building your city and lets see what you can do
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Ooooh... interesting.

Now does the map need to be part of a full mission or just be a stand alone work?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-377 View Post
Ooooh... interesting.

Now does the map need to be part of a full mission or just be a stand alone work?
Either. If someone has already built a large scale city as part of an existing mission and doesnt want to go through all the work to duplicate it, then thats fine. However, if you just want to create 1 map for this contest, that is fine too
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-15-2011, 11:05 AM
That's a really good idea for a contest!

As a Foundry author, i love to build cities from scratch, but there is a building (when i say buildings, i mean all kind of material, from actual building to wall/corner/arch/platform) limitation that is very annoying..
In fact, you can either build a full no-detail city or a tiny full-detail one. There is a choice to make at this moment..
Building a city from very scratch is impossible, using only brute material (walls/corners etc as mentioned above), the Foundry limitation is reached too early in the building process.

But yeah, we can do great cities with foundry, if we accept the sad fact they'll be a bit empty.
The only solution at the moment is to fractionnate the city into several maps, it's doable, and can be awesome, i'm trying it myself, it's a blast, but it requires A LOT of work.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-15-2011, 11:20 AM
I like this... my next mission is going to include a "city" map component to it, so I'll definitely be tossing my hat in the ring. My favorite part of building Foundry missions is creating the environments, and viewing what others do with them too of course

Good luck all!
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-15-2011, 02:07 PM
My thought was, honestly, I have trouble believing the Foundry has enough pieces and parts to produce a good looking futuristic city. This is a good idea, and I look forward to seeing what others manage to come up with.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naju View Post
My thought was, honestly, I have trouble believing the Foundry has enough pieces and parts to produce a good looking futuristic city. This is a good idea, and I look forward to seeing what others manage to come up with.
Just a couple that I already know about:

http://starbaseugc.com/wp-content/up...8-22-07-48.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/...2ee87a3a_b.jpg

Note that these are not (yet) entries, just examples.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Oooh. Now this sounds like fun, and it might prove to be a challenge I can't resist!
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Just a couple that I already know about:

http://starbaseugc.com/wp-content/up...8-22-07-48.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/...2ee87a3a_b.jpg

Note that these are not (yet) entries, just examples.
I... I have no idea what I'm even looking at, here. I am awed, envious and... okay, more than a little confused. To the Foundry!
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naju View Post
I... I have no idea what I'm even looking at, here. I am awed, envious and... okay, more than a little confused. To the Foundry!
The basics are simple:

1) Find a nice flat map

2) Place a "foundation" for your city(500x500 building block platforms)

3) Fill up the foundation space with buildings.

Here is a quick example you can make in 5 mins or less:

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/c...xamplecity.jpg

Of course, that is just a bare bones example. To make it feel alive you would want NPCs walking around, benches and other objects that make it seem alive.