Lt. Commander
I'm going to have to look to find a quote, but I recall in several interviews and posts the Devs have stated that once a mission is published is will be available to everyone and they did not want "private" missions. Some people have tried to get around this by not giving the system the mission starts in except to the specific people who they want to have it. In addition to this being against want the Devs previously said, this also means people can create missions with inappropriate content that will exist in game without having to go through the moderation process.

So the question to any Dev that may read this is, is it against the rules to create these kinds of private missions that do not give the starting location of the mission?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-15-2011, 02:29 PM
You know, Nagus, Initially I agree with you... this is a way in which there can be inappropriate content spread. However, I like the idea of Fleet-specific missions. Say you want to create a mission that is specifically designed to be played by members of your fleet, in terms of setup, story, etc. Shouldn't that be allowed? And then not down-voted because someone plays it that it wasn't intended for?

Long story short, I think there should be better ways to categorize missions in the in-game UI.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise View Post
Say you want to create a mission that is specifically designed to be played by members of your fleet, in terms of setup, story, etc. Shouldn't that be allowed?
According to the Devs, no. Like I said, I'll have to find those statements, but I know they were made. Thats not to say I agree or disagree, but that is the official answer to your question.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-15-2011, 02:34 PM
This is an interesting question. One thing I was thinking might be added was the ability to publish missions hidden or private in an effort to collaborate on a mission without making it available to everyone. Also, while not strictly private, having "Fleet Only" missions might not be a bad idea for fleets who wish to provide something unique for their members.

Obviously creating private missions for the sake of breaking the rules is not cool... but I think there might be some valid reasons for having non-public missions too.

I also would like an official word from the Dev team on how they feel about this issue and what sort of plans (if any) are being made for collaborating on missions or those restricted to fleet members.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-15-2011, 06:15 PM
An example:

In our roleplay group there is a trial against a (Fed) member coming up soon.
I will built the scenerie for said trial. Afterwards I will withdraw an delete it. Its just a place.
But great things will happen there, involving at least 5-10 players. They WILL remember the day as a memorable day in STO.

Think Ally McBeal does not go out on patrol missions that day.

If keeping players interested in the game despite boring content is undesirable, then ban it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-16-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure ... Cryptic have certainly said they don't like the idea of 'gated' content but not sure how that will play out.

However there is a technical aspect that you will also need think about it.... these are not like social areas.... these are mission maps where only people on the same team may enter.

That is you can only have a max of 5 PC's in a zone if there are more and they create another team then this second team will be taken to a different instance.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-16-2011, 06:41 PM
You can make missions for your fleet, all you have to do is mention in the info it is designed for a special purpose, but you shouldn't be able to hide them from anyone wanting to use them. No, to private, and yes, to special purpose, just put the purpose in the info and ask people to aknowledge it isn't a regular mission for review. On the other hand your buddies shouldn't be 5 starring it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Quote:
However there is a technical aspect that you will also need think about it.... these are not like social areas.... these are mission maps where only people on the same team may enter.
Good point... Thanks, managed to re-plan around it.

Anyway: Yes, of course such content will be labelled as being no mission to review and I do not expect/want any of the participants to actually "vote" on the map. If the withdraw function finally works, it will be gone afterwards anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-16-2011, 07:06 PM
If there's inappropriate content in a mission that no one can play, then does that really matter? The truth about something being inappropriate is that it only is if someone complains. So, if someone makes a mission and doesn't enter the starting location, thus no one can play it and complain, then it's not really an issue.

As far as private missions go, does it honestly matter either? There's plenty of people making public missions. It would be better if private missions could just be hidden entirely so that we don't have to sort through them in the mission lists.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
If there's inappropriate content in a mission that no one can play, then does that really matter?
Its not that "no one" can play it, its that only the people who the author tells about it can play it. So a pedophile could make a mission about child abuse and then just tell his friends about it, and that mission would never be reported as inappropriate because no one would be able to find out what it was. Do you think it is ok for a mission like that to exist in the game at all, even if most people cant play it?