Lt. Commander
Ok, with the MVAM Prometheus and the Oberth, there is an upcoming trend of either all new refit/retrofits offering their special abilities in console form or even possibly all other refits/retrofits that are already out might work this way as well. With this in mind, I have a concern that it might further unblalance the game leading to more nerf cries and pvp'er vs pve'er spats ingame and out. I ask the devs to please consider carefully which consoles are allowed to go on which ships to avoid issues on making this new system of refits/retrofits overpowered from the start.

Now, if the devs don't take this into consideration, fine by me. Why? I C-store, so this won't hurt me one bit. But, for those that can't or just plain don't...it can leave them at a marked disadvantage. C-store'ers will be able to stack skills in excess of what someone who would otherwise grind emblems and the like could do. By limiting which consoles go on which ships, Cryptic can, at the very least, reduce the potential grief these items can end up causing.

If anyone else has opinions regarding this...feel free to speak up. But please...be constructive.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-15-2011, 08:02 PM
I think this makes sense. Testing, testing, testing. Please take into account all aspects of the game. Don't rush anything. If it comes out right the first time, we don't end up angry if something needs to be scaled back.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-16-2011, 02:00 AM
I am of the option that special consoles should be craftable in game, or via emblem grind.

I cant say it totally bothers me that they are c-store only as i use the c-store a lot, but im not sure its fair to introduce new consoles that you can only buy.

although on the flip side it does make buying a new ship more attractive.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-16-2011, 03:14 AM
I read in an interview somewhere where Dstahl said they were looking at making some kind of special console available for all the ships in the game and that most of those special consoles will work on other ships so that ship selection would be a larger impact on your toon's career path. This could mitigate some of what the OP is concerned about but I am concerned that it will add to the ability spam of endgame PvP and would lead to cookie cutter career paths. Then again it could lead to a greater mix of specialized and ships with greater flexibility in the game as well... I guess I am on the fence about the trend. At least there is a strong implication that this will not be a C-Store only kind of pay to win thing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Sorry for the double post. The browser locked up and I got a second post when I refreshed it.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Not realy
04-16-2011, 04:06 AM
Well it is clear you can transfer the new console to anther ship. A) 5 Mins cooldown B) you are limited to one. It also makes sense that you only be able to put a limit number one one ships based on ship tier. Last there was plain to put the console in game for Emblems. That may have been just rumor. It is clear the ships have changed. The ships themself do not have speical abilites but the come wilth speical cnosole. One that may be moved to other ships. Would be nice to have craft option on them as well. I see no major upset in game play. Did not check to see if consale had a shared cooldown that would limit them as well.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Micro-transactions are always a slippery slope. I played Entropia Universe and you can easily see it there. The guy with the most money invested, wins. The problem for developers is that in order to get people to fork out the money, the item has to be good enough or wanted enough to get the demand up. Hitting that mark it is common that that particuliar item will be better than what is available thru other sorces.

We've already hit the mark of NERF this, NERF that. Cryptic will hear more and more and more from certain communities for NERF calls of every nature. They already have their "lists". Why? Because it works and it gets instant gratification. No need to put any thought in, CHANGE up a build or tactics to counter any one thing, just simply head to the forums and get whatever you don't like NERFed into oblivian.

I've seen this for years over in SWG. 1st the NERFs crys hit for jedi perma-death. Then, the NERF crys hit for jedi alpha. Take away the "alpha" status of jedi and suddenly it's no longer advantages to "unlock" jedi thu the 6 month or year process, so just make jedi a starter class. SOE's answer was to fulfil the dreams of the NERF cryers and NERF jedi to the point that LS jedi are NOW just PVE tanks not even designed for PVP gameplay, thereby gateing 1/2 of the end game content from any1 who choses to play that profession. But, jedi were just the start. So many NERF crys coming from the ability to double profession and mix and match skills that they culminated in the NGE which removed 23 complete professions from the entire game to make it "easier to balance".

Suddenly, players realised that they were not playing the same game they subscribed to anylonger. Game populations droped from 350,000 to less than 10,000 with this development mindset.

Oh well, "nothing lasts forever", I guess. When it gets so bad over here, there's always TOR.

The one thing that might throw a "hitch in the get-along" for subsequent NERFs to "bought and paid for" items out of the C-Store is that CHANGING those items, times, extent of advertised powers, etc. could create some legal issues for Cryptic or any game developer doing so. I would imagine in order to offset any liablitiy in this issue, refunds would almost have to be implimented for any items so CHANGED/NERFed. That pretty much negates the entire idea of "bought" items.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-22-2011, 10:01 PM
C-store is a bad idea as it is now,no item should be sold there if can change how you play,now ships no nothing,just vanity stuff,all the rest should be made in game availiable only.
Im about to reach 800 emblems and now i see a tier1 Oberth class availiable in game for 500 emblems ?what a joke.
Imagine if the console be a really good upgrade,so i might spend 500 emblems for a console ?cmon.
They already make enough money with the subscribes,c-store should be changed for real.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
Testing, testing, testing.
lol. You said testing.