Lt. Commander
# 11
04-16-2011, 04:52 AM
Not to nitpick, but it says "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil." That five dollar bill isn't worth anything unless you trade it for something.

Edit: Anyway, I challenge Gene's assertion that man stopped having a need for money because of our communication with aliens. I think we stopped having a need for money because of the invention of the replicator and transporter. The bulk of everyone's budget is spent on housing, food, and transportation. A replicator takes care of a need to spend money on food and the transport removes the need to spend money on transportation thus leaving a lot more money to afford housing. Add the 800 million dead after WWIII and there is more room than there was before (although 800 million said back in 1970 had more meaning than it does in 2011)

If man no longer has a need for money, it's because of our technology, not our "can do" spirit after seeing we are not alone.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-16-2011, 05:39 AM
Roddenberry was basically talking about a post scarcity society before the idea had been expressed. once you can manipulate matter at a sub atomic level the way they can in star trek you basically have no need for heavy industry, provided you can power the thing. They could, the limitations are more plot based than anything else.

However, the removal of the existential questions such as life on other worlds, the limits of engineering and the like being thoroughly dismantled by the visitation of non terrestrial humanoids would probably put a fire under you.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-16-2011, 05:47 AM
OP, you are entirely too optimistic when confronted with human nature. We are a self destructive species of animal that will only continue to decline.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element_0
OP, you are entirely too optimistic when confronted with human nature. We are a self destructive species of animal that will only continue to decline.
Ahh you should *never* bet on our destruction. If you're wrong, everyone will laugh at you. If you're right, no one will know. :p
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredZero View Post
The following is a rant.

Look, I get you want to do things. Great. But for the LOVE of all that writers hold holy, learn how to frakking write properly all across the board - grammar, punctuation, capitalization, the works.

If you must cast blame, then at least cast it where it is deserved. Money is not the driving force, money is only an object. The driving force is the perception of value. We were taught that money has value, therefore we strive to acquire money. Do not blame something humanity created to facilitate trade, but the people for their failures in keeping themselves in check and beicoming greedy.

And if money = power and power is the root of all evil, then going by that formula then yes - women are evil.

However, you forget that one of the things men attempt to go after are MONEY, POWER, and WOMEN (depending on swing). Therefore, if women = evil, then men are evil squared.
it's just the way i Type. Learn to love it or move along to other Thread
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Have fun insulting intelligence, then.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlink1 View Post

Money does not bring you Happiness.
Money buys a wave runner. Try to frown on a wave runner.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-16-2011, 09:20 PM
You said you learned to live without money, if so then how did you pay for a lifetime sub to STO?
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-16-2011, 09:20 PM
I would say this represents my stance on this one.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
Money buys a wave runner. Try to frown on a wave runner.
So true. So true.