Lt. Commander
OK - it's not that I can't do the math problems some of you are putting into your missions, but seriously, I'm here to enjoy the mission / story you have created - not go running around looking for a calculator or scratch paper in the middle of the night when I'm trying to get in a mission. I don't ever remember watching star trek and having the captain give me a math problem I had to figure out so I was able to watch the rest of the episode.. It KILLS the flow of your story, I'd rather have to go around turning on consoles in a certain order (and even that is a pain and forces me to re-read the same part of the story over and over just to get this minor detail that really adds no real meaning to the overall story - to move on). I really don't want to have to read countless dialog about how I need to figure up the rate of plasma flow into the flux capacitor in order to make the jump to light speed and save the princess.

If your going to put math in your mission, then please tell me in the description so I can avoid it and avoid leaving a bad rating..

Good example: There I was relaxing and playing STO lastnight before going to bed, in bed actually, I was enjoying the story, moving along, ready to see what was going to happen next, and I got presented with a math problem and this time I was even told I should have a calculator... You can't imagine how frustrated I was when I was sitting there trying to be quite as to not wake up the better half, and then having to search for a damn piece of paper or calculator.. I ended up just doing it in my head, but it was one of those moments in video games where you just want to get the Dev in a room and kick em square in the.. Lol.. come on, you know what im talking about if you have ever been into a game and needed to get past one of those BS situations..

So please, stop the math problems, I'd be more than happy to suggest other options for resolving a situation, just keep the story moving!!!

- X -

In the great words of Jimmy Buffett - "Math Sucks!"
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
I have a "math problem" in my mission. - Actually, it's a, I believe, more unique decryption puzzle but a math problem nonetheless.

However, if you don't feel like doing it, you can ask your bridge officer to solve (and therefore skip) it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-20-2011, 09:19 AM
I have a "memory problem" with a three step password.

However... if you use up all the consoles that supply you with parts of the password (some spawn enemies) then the password dialogue will gain the completed password as an option. But only once you've accessed all the consoles (which repeat parts of the password).
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Most of my puzzles are reading comprehension based, BTW.

In one case, you have to do things very buy the book to get the correct answer to a problem that disables a nebula interference effect. You can always guess until you remove the nebula interference... or you can simply complete the mission without removing the nebula interference. But to be told the password upfront, you have to make the right choices.

IF I did a math problem, it would probably be for a non-mandatory trigger that somehow makes things easier by removing a door, dropping enemies to a more accessible spot for a fight (or dropping them to their deaths), avoiding non-mandatory enemies, or spawning friendly NPCs. But I would have a way to complete the mission without the problem.

Personally, I think math problems are cheesy and pull me out of the game. But my general approach with puzzles is that they make things easier but are not strictly required to proceed, although the alternative may make things harder.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
However, if you don't feel like doing it, you can ask your bridge officer to solve (and therefore skip) it.
See, i have no problem with this, just give the option and make it clear there is the option.. some people want that much involvement, but there are times i just need and want to keep the story moving.

I think there is some awsome work being done and dont want to put down anyones work, i just wanted to voice my opinion on the subject so just to say give me options when im in those situations where i dont have the time to stop :-)

- X -
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xforce007 View Post
See, i have no problem with this, just give the option and make it clear there is the option.. some people want that much involvement, but there are times i just need and want to keep the story moving.

I think there is some awsome work being done and dont want to put down anyones work, i just wanted to voice my opinion on the subject so just to say give me options when im in those situations where i dont have the time to stop :-)

- X -
I think the key, longterm, is puzzles that aren't simply "insert correct answer."

One variation on this might be...

Place a door between the player and where they want to go. Interacting with the door brings up a dialogue option that tells them they need to lower the door.

They have five consoles to interact with. There are hints which console is the right one. Interacting with the wrong console will delete the door and replace it with another door that can only be removed by interacting with two other consoles. Interacting with the consoles replaces the consoles with new consoles that have different interact conditions and replaces the door with a door that has different deletion conditions.

Eventually, you'll need to create a scenario where the player either cannot make the wrong choice or cannot proceed and is told they have failed and have to start the mission over. But this can be after many iterations of the puzzle.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
I have a "math problem" in my mission. - Actually, it's a, I believe, more unique decryption puzzle but a math problem nonetheless.

I was just about to talk about how you did that, which IMO is perfect. Let the player have the choice to do it, or let their BO solve it for them. Everybody wins
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-20-2011, 04:35 PM
There are enough missions out there that I say let the author create what they want to. Some of us enjoy thinking our way through a mission rather than killing mob after mob after mob.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I was just about to talk about how you did that, which IMO is perfect. Let the player have the choice to do it, or let their BO solve it for them. Everybody wins
I agree this is a good way to go, and I have included the option in my missions where possible. However, I worry that when presented the option of just skipping a puzzle, many will feel compelled to simply do so? Do you think that's not really a concern.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I agree this is a good way to go, and I have included the option in my missions where possible. However, I worry that when presented the option of just skipping a puzzle, many will feel compelled to simply do so? Do you think that's not really a concern.
Well if a person enjoys puzzles then they would want to do it. If a person doesnt, they wouldnt. Personally, I think its best to let people choose which way they would rather handle it, that way everyone gets what they want and no one has a complaint