Lt. Commander
# 1 Pat's Foundry Reviews
04-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Several members have started to review missions for others. I played with the thought of doing the same for a couple of weeks now. Finally, I've decided to really do it, as I think there are many great missions that deserve another review.

Now, my reviews are a little bit different as I give out single (or half) stars for five different categories - a little bit like hotels are rated.
These five categories are:

Implementation
I rate how the mission is made from a purely technical and visual standpoint. How the sets are used and modified (set dressing), how triggers are used, interactions are placed and so on.

Plot and Characters
It's not just the story itself. Even a very basic story can be fun with the right characters. This is a hard category as good characters are hard to create. Plus, I am a Star Trek fan and I will be angry if a mission is untrekky.

Writing
A good story is one thing, good writing another. While I'm not a grammar Nazi and I won't whine because there's a typo, I do enjoy a good story just so much more when I'm not constantly pulled out of it by bad writing. Also, I won't list every mistake.

Combat
This is a hard star to earn! Generally, the fewer combat situations the better. If there is no combat involved, you might almost certainly get this star. A combat-situation has have a reason or I will become impatient and complain about too many fights.

Satisfaction
This mainly refers to how the mission ends, whether I'm satisfied with how the mission concludes or, if it is a story-arc, if I'm in the mood to continue with the next part.

Again, you'll get one star (++), half a star (+) or no stars (-) for each category. Since STO only accepts full stars, I will round up or down in the end based on all the other categories.
I also won't tell a lot about the mission and therefore most likely not spoil anything.

There are, however, a few things I want to clear up first:

- I don't review KDF missions. - Sorry, but I don't have enough time for a Klingon alt at the moment.
- I cannot play every day so I won't be able to do that review on the same day. Please be patient.
- I am currently Captain and as such unable to do missions for Admirals. - I'll update when this changes.
- I only review missions on Holodeck. - Sorry again, but I deleted my Tribble-client.
- I only do solo missions. - If your mission is intended for multiplayer, I'm not the right person.
- I don't have much patience when it comes to combat. - Endless fight after fight sequences might force me to drop a mission.

I do, however, offer to review missions that are not yet completely finished but are completable.
And I will offer helpful advice via PM after I have reviewed a mission on how that mission could be improved.

I also accept requests via PM if someone doesn't want to advertise their missions or is unsure about it's quality just yet.

Well then, my hailing frequencies are open.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey Pat. Awesome to see another person up for doing reviews. I just started another thread about review exchanging for noobs but I think a straight up review would be nice. I just finished my first attempt, so, you know. Be gentle. =) You may need to be a reviewer to find it since I just put it up last night.

Let me know if it breaks for you, or if you have any feedback on top of your review criteria.

"Two Cloaks, One Dagger"
ST-HDPI3P5OP
I believe it's lv. 41+
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi I submit mine either is not a finished article hence why I need the reviews lol. They are completable though. Its the first two in a continuing story here they are

Sleeper

and then

Silent Witness

cheers
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I apologize, RogueEnterprise, but I cannot yet play your mission as I'm not yet level 41 - even though I am a 400 day veteran, yes, please stop laughing.

I will play it, as soon as I hit 41, though. It should be a matter of ... months.

Reshaan, since your mission seems not to be finished yet, I wrote you a PM.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-14-2011, 04:00 PM
My mission is

Hold the line

A Space based mission with a surprise on the bridge.

**Missions Cannot start at Starbase 24 so you will warp in from the nearby Reytan system, Sirius Sector Block**

Has only 3 combat elements across 3 maps.

However the 1st is a large fleet style battle and I have been pulling my hair out to try and balance it w/o making it too easy or pain in the backside.

Knowne issue- FED fleet warping- had to disable due to bug- they just appear now

Quite a lot of chatter amongst bridge crew and some characters. I hope you enjoy reading.

thanks

Flashman
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
I apologize, RogueEnterprise, but I cannot yet play your mission as I'm not yet level 41 - even though I am a 400 day veteran, yes, please stop laughing.

I will play it, as soon as I hit 41, though. It should be a matter of ... months.
D'oh... that's what I get for putting certain level enemies in the mission. Thanks anyway though.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Feel free to look at The Source of Power. I just finished it a couple days ago. It's level 16+, so your level shouldn't be an issue.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Hey Pat, if you have some time I'd appreciate you taking a look at my newest mission

Mission Name: A Trip Down Memory Lane
Project ID: ST-HQRRTNDE7
Faction: Federation
Levels: 41+

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Sorry, "Hold the Line" doesn't show up. Is it a Level 41 mission? If so, hold thight, I'll try to get there this weekend. I'm on 38.

The Source of Power
by ainu

Implementation +
Technically it's a straightforward mission with some branching dialog. Nothing special but the sets were nicely done and worked very well. I liked the simplicity. However, when the Captain told me, the others had arrived, I asked myself: "Really, how?" I felt that it would have been nice to see two additional ships there. And there's a turbolift that could have been used instead of the site-to-site beaming - would have felt more natural to me.

Plot and Characters +
Again straight forward with a nice little twist and few but nice characters. I felt that the Klingons could have been better introduced and maybe even get a speaking part.

Writing ++
Nothing to complain here. Well written, clean writing.

Combat +
I'm almost not giving this half star here. I felt that the holodeck sequence was completely unnecessary and I also felt that there were too many Klingons considering what it was all about.

Satisfaction +

The little twist was really good and while I managed the endbattle quite well, I felt that at least after the first wave, a more Star Trek like ending (explaining the situation) would have felt a lot better.

Conclusion
A well made mission that that is a lot of fun. Other people might like the combat more.

Final Score: ++ ++ ++

3 Stars
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the review.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'the others have arrived' bit though. Which part was that? At the end? I had thought I had explained how each group you have to fight ends up there. What did you mean by nice to see two additional ships?

As for the rest, the number of Klingons ship there at the end was simply because the fights were too trivial when I first tested it. And the holodeck part was because I needed to get the player off the normal deck so that everyone else could get kidnapped and I could change the set to the red alert/under attack one. Plus, I wanted to do the malfunctioning holodeck Trek cliche.

What did you feel was left unexplained? Again, I thought I had everything covered in the dialogue of the actual mission.