Lt. Commander
One of the biggest mistakes made with City of Heroes' Mission Architect was the lack of oversight on content. This caused the MA to be quickly filled with garbage missions.

The STO team seems to have made an effort to prevent this mistake by establishing player reviewers. However, when signing up to be a reviewer it says that you're only to report content that is "inappropriate", which I take to mean in violation of the ESRB's 'Teen' Rating, and for violations of the Foundry EULA.

There is another type of content that I believe that Reviewers should be able to report as well: Storyless Exploit Missions

By that I mean the; "Play my mission! Kill 1,000 Hirogen! Get the accolade!" missions that are already starting to crop up in the Foundry. If allowed to persist, these types of missions may very well drown out actual story missions. This isn't just a guess on my part, I saw it happen in the Mission Architect. Remember the first rule of online gaming: If someone can do it they will.

Why do I label these types of missions as an "Exploit"?

They allow the player to acquire an accolade much faster than is otherwise possible. Just as exploiting something to level up faster is typically considered an "Exploit", so exploiting the Foundry to achieve accolades faster should also be considered one.

I haven't read any of the threads created when the Foundry was still on Tribble. Has anyone at Cryptic addressed this subject before at all?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Simple solution: Foundry NPCs don't count for Accolades.

A high percentage(*) of them are reskins of other mobs anyway.

(* - Standard stats-hole disclaimer.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-31-2011, 11:46 AM
In my opinion, the entire issue could be circumvented if Foundry missions would be offered to players like Distress Calls are and how Unknown Systems are explored in Exploration Clusters. The entire problem, in my mind, isn't with the missions themselves, the authors making them or the player playing them to gather Accolade Points, the problem is with the rating system, or rather how it's being used to offer missions to players.

EDIT :: Thanks PF. I mean this as an addition to the current system, not a complete replacement of it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
In my opinion, the entire issue could be circumvented if Foundry missions would be offered to players like Distress Calls are and how Unknown Systems are explored in Exploration Clusters. The entire problem, in my mind, isn't with the missions themselves, the authors making them or the player playing them to gather Accolade Points, the problem is with the rating system.
What?? So players shouldn't get to chose the kinds of missions they want to play? If I make a mission my friends can't play it unless it just happens upon them as a random distress call?

I can't stress enough how much I disagree with your statement in its entirety.

I do have to ask though, what does this have to do with the rating system, and why is it a problem?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
What?? So players shouldn't get to chose the kinds of missions they want to play? If I make a mission my friends can't play it unless it just happens upon them as a random distress call?

I can't stress enough how much I disagree with your statement in its entirety.

I do have to ask though, what does this have to do with the rating system, and why is it a problem?
Sorry. I meant to say that in addition to the current system, Foundry missions should be offered to players. That way players have the choice to go search for a mission, and also sit back and allow the system to offer them a Foundry mission that matches the zone/level their character is at.

My reasoning is that if the Rating System doesn't dictate how missions reach players, every mission should have, at least in theory, an better chance of reaching players without competing with missions that have a higher rating just because they offer better Accolade advancement.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Sorry. I meant to say that in addition to the current system, Foundry missions should be offered to players. That way players have the choice to go search for a mission, and also sit back and allow the system to offer them a Foundry mission that matches the zone/level their character is at.

My reasoning is that if the Rating System doesn't dictate how missions reach players, every mission should have, at least in theory, an better chance of reaching players without competing with missions that have a higher rating just because they offer better Accolade advancement.
They could do that and then not announce by what standard they use to determine what is sent out. That way it prevents exploitation. And you should still be able to rate it when you are done.

But how they could do it is they could have a "random mission giver" at each of the social areas (ESD, K7, SB39, DS9, TFΩ). Each of them will provide missions based on story enemy:
ESD: All (up to level of character)
K7: KDF members, Breen, Devidians
SB39: Romulans, Remans
DS9: Cardassians, Terran, Dominion
TFΩ: Borg, Undine

The downside to this system is if someone redresses a bunch of Cardies to look like Klingons, I'm not sure how the system would handle that. But this way you have a random generator on ESD that covers everything and then random generators in each of the respective AOI. So if you ONLY want Romulan-based UGC mission, you go to SB39, etc.

Of course, the current system will be available if you want to peruse them all.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Considering that the benefit of acquiring those accolades is minimal versus the time required to get them (even in the Kill 1000 Hirogen missiion) I wouldn't consider it an exploit. I don't agree with the wording of the mission dialog, selling it as a grind mission whose sole purpose is to get the accolade. I would have billed it as a holodeck training scenario, like Worf used to use all the time. There would be no fundamental difference between the two missions I just talked about, but I suspect there would have been a smalller chance of it being called an exploit.

Honestly these types of missions are already commonplace in the game anyway. With the exception of Crystalline entity, all of the fleet actions are simply well-dressed grinders.

My recommendation

1. If it truly bothers you, report it. If this happens enough it will be pulled.

2. If you're like me, leave feedback for the author on how they can improve their dialog.

3. Or just enjoy hours of mindless zerging on one map to get your accolade. If that's your thing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-31-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't see this as an exploit either, you still have to kill them by yourself, it's no cheat either. Of course those episodes are useless story-wise, but specially that Devidian groundisode is nice because doing the last of the 5 Devidisodes to get 30 ground kills with all those loading screens ... I prefer to kill 100 Devs (Devidians of course, not Developers lol) in 10 minutes to push up my accolade.

Hirogen is different. You have enuff nice missions to kill Hirogen and still enjoy the atmeowsphere. The only other mission I had to grind was Nausicaans.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Oh, man. I just realized what you mean. I was on holodeck trying to test my missions to make sure there were no bugs I missed and there is nothing but "accolade farming" missions. Some of them are from the same people and are the same exact farm. (Kill Klingons on Vulcan; Kill Klingons on Andoria, Kill Klingons on Bhea)

Yeah, can we report farming missions? They are truly crowding out the legit projects.

Also, when I click on "English Only" I get no results.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Where are these "Kill 1,000" missions, and how can I play them? The only one I can find on Holodeck atm is called "Kill Stuff" and is just eight or ten waves of random alien ships.