Lt. Commander
# 1 World of Darkness
04-17-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm bored, I've been considering getting back into Vampire tabletop/larp after a long long hiatus..

So... I was just wondering who else was a card carrying member of the too-much-eyeliner brigade??
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-17-2011, 09:36 AM
I have the pc games that came out, Redemption and Bloodlines. I read several books in the WoD universe. I've never tried the tabletop game, though.

edit: Fitting avatar pic for this thread, btw. Nice ankh!
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
edit: Fitting avatar pic for this thread, btw. Nice ankh!
heheh yep, i need to goth it up more often, i'm kinda hot when I look like a corpse..
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilravegirl View Post
heheh yep, i need to goth it up more often, i'm kinda hot when I look like a corpse..
I'm not suprised. Your skin needs to breathe, ya know. :p
Yes, I know skin doesn't need oxygen.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-17-2011, 10:41 AM
no im not.

but i kinda wish i was right about now for some reason.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-17-2011, 10:51 AM
I played the table top a lot, but never any of the larp.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I still play table top board and card games. Nothing wrong with that.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-17-2011, 12:44 PM
I was invited to play Vampire once. So I approached it like I did any other game. Which was apparently the wrong thing to do.

So I made my character doing my usual unconscious min-maxing. I don't mean to it, I swear. It just happens. And it's not so much min-maxing as it is maxing without the min. I try to imitate my way cool Dungeons and Dragons Rogue. Chaotic Good, anti-authority, and talented as all get out in almost everything. You know the saying 'Why be a god at one thing when you can be a demi-god at everything'? That was me.

So I have my character sheet in hand. And then I make a faux pas apparently. I insult someone, which is totally in character for my character. So I get in a fight. And apparently the person I am fighting was an idiot manipulator type. I think they were a Lasombra vampire.

So I pull out my dice and make my attack roll. And this is bad because we aren't supposed to fight. And I was whaaaaa? What kind of Vampire RPG is this? Vampires kick butt and take names and have run out of paper to write the names down on.

So I leave.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
So I pull out my dice and make my attack roll. And this is bad because we aren't supposed to fight. And I was whaaaaa? What kind of Vampire RPG is this? Vampires kick butt and take names and have run out of paper to write the names down on.
Heh, I think that really depends more on the group than the game. My first DnD group we went through the first couple sessions with no fights. Skill checks were rare, maybe once every 15 minutes or so.

I know some people don't think of themselves as playing unless they're rolling the dice. Some people never touch them and just roleplay the whole time. I tend to sit in the middle ground with equal time devoted to each. I'd be annoyed in either extreme. I think of the combat in tabletops to be there to hold the group's focus on the story and maintain realism.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post

So I leave.
It most definitely depends on the group, back in the day there were just as many combat-centered and dice-heavy gaming sessions as there were frou-frou dice-less roleplays... both have their merits.

I think in general though, old school World of Darkness was always a bit more character-centered than other RPGs due to its very nature. Vampire society functions much like a royal court and breaking the rules in someone else's domain is bound to ruffle a few feathers..

Yes, it's all very stuffy and pretentious... but that's what people play it for.. lol

There are other games to be a faceless grunt in..