Lt. Commander
# 1 Tech Bug/Issue
04-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Every time I loaded a map, I'm being dumped back into Windows. This started this evening. I went so far as to reset the game and let the pre-patch install and I'm still beIng put back in Windows whenever the map loads. (Being dumped defined as having the Start Menu bar pop up and stay on top). I have done nothing to my computer since this morning, when it worked fine.

Also, is the game rendering hidden objects? I am on a map and every time I face the "grass", my Fra state drops. The only problem is I have the grass hidden underneath a 500x500x500 foundation. So why is the game trying to render it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-18-2011, 09:02 PM
First issue solved. My wife had put a "sticky" on the desktop and the computer kept defaulting to it instead of gameclient when te map would load.

Second issue still valid.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Do you mean you're placing an object and setting it to invisible?

Or do you mean you're putting a building on top of existing terrain and expecting the terrain to disappear?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
Do you mean you're placing an object and setting it to invisible?

Or do you mean you're putting a building on top of existing terrain and expecting the terrain to disappear?
The latter. I put a gian block on top of existing terrein and I'm wondering if the computer is building the grass that is technically no longer visible. The only reson I ask is my computer frame rate drops when I'm facing the "hidden" grass yet returns to normal when I turn away. Since the block is covering the grass and it will never be visible, I'm just curioius if the computer is bothering to still build the geometry.

Edit: This does not occur on my less powerful system. I have the settings turned down on it so it isn't drawing the grass. And so no matter which direction I turn the framerate stays the same. So it is definitely the grass being drawn even though it is never seen that is the culprit IMHO.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-20-2011, 12:58 PM
The existing terrain doesn't change when you place objects on it. So if there is grass, that grass is still there, no matter what you place on it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks. I turned off high level details (turned the field of grass into a field of turf) until I finish building. That seemed to fix the framerate issue.