Lt. Commander
# 121
04-20-2011, 08:29 AM
and the outcome is? everyone votes undine ?
Lt. Commander
# 122
04-20-2011, 08:35 AM
There's a lot of good commentary in this thread, but I'd like to state my support of an opinion that's been stated a few times, probably more eloquently. The danger that foundry authors face when creating an epic battle, or a massive fight scene to be tagged as a grind mission may prevent them from even trying. If something is blatently a farm mission, fine, do away with it. But what about those epic fights? Heck, what about a mission with tons of bad guys, that is poorly written? It may not have a sweet, amazing storyline to go along with its epic fight, but even its author didn't intend it to be used for farming, it could be tagged as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
My question is, If I make a tactical combat map, placing mobs and trying to take advantage of natural camoflage, the terrain and trigggers etc, to give players a testing ground for ground builds or a similar space map, is this going to remove my foundry rights?

I planned on making some light story elements, but having it more of a fun thing to do with some friends to test things out.

It was sort of a gorn hiding in the jungle tactical patrol thing.
This right here is an example. A test combat mission, not intended to be used for farming, that the author is worried about being tagged as such.

In City of, farming / fast leveling was a problem because the game itself had lots of content, and levelig up was actually something to be enjoyed and experienced properly. Sadly, STO doesn't have that. For those people that are altaholics, doing the same exact missions over and over and over and over again just isn't fun - and they may just want to get to PvP, or STFs, things that are only available at the higher levels.* Are they harming anyone? No. Unlike City of, the content of STO is so light and grindy that it can become a chore once you've done it a time or two, and escaping that chore by using the Foundry to level up is, as one poster said, a relief.

*Yes, I know there are PvP queues at ower levels. Doesn't mean people use them often enough for it to count... And since I'm typing in an unrelated footnote here, I'll say that I still think the name "Foundry" is silly, and completely at odds with the Star Trek setting.
Lt. Commander
# 123
04-20-2011, 08:35 AM
You see the trailer for my mission, P_Sutherland? Or get the chance to play it? I figured you might enjoy the last act.
Lt. Commander
# 124
04-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
You see the trailer for my mission, P_Sutherland? Or get the chance to play it? I figured you might enjoy the last act.
link now!!! I can smell the undine

Edit: nvm found it looks good i'll give it a go.
Lt. Commander
# 125
04-20-2011, 09:07 AM
I just stumbeled over here and wondered if someone could clearifie if this concernes only published missions or if I can get in troubble even for producing one to Tab-Kill-Level my foundry-chars without intending to ever hit the P-Button.
Lt. Commander
# 126
04-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by __harry__ View Post
I just stumbeled over here and wondered if someone could clearifie if this concernes only published missions or if I can get in troubble even for producing one to Tab-Kill-Level my foundry-chars without intending to ever hit the P-Button.
This only affects published missions. Since your Foundry character exists solely in its own universe, there is no reason to attempt to level it up. Especially since you cannot get XP from anything except the accolades and that will only get you up to Lt4.
Lt. Commander
# 127
04-20-2011, 09:18 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 128
04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
Thanks for giving the whiners a blank check to blackball any author who writes a mission they don't personally care for by tarring it as a "farm / grind / exploit." I see a whole lot of "fleet only" and "entry point unannounced" missions coming down the road, as people become wary to let anyone they don't know play their missions. Since the price of producing something that anyone anywhere deems a "grind" is banning, I sure won't be sharing mine with anyone I don't fully know and trust.
When a player 'reports a mission' - all that means is that Cryptic will look at it, and make a final determination as to whether said mission does indeed violate the TOU of the Foundry. If Cryptic determines it does, then they will take action they deem approprriate.

Also, if you read Wish Stone's post that details the Cryptic 'No Grind' mission policy, she stated that the people who were banned from publishing anything further on the Foundry were those who republished their mission that Cryptic had taken down. So, for now, if you know you published a mission, and that mission dissappeared off the Foundry list; you might want to check your in game mail before attempting a re-publish.

I DO think it would be good however if there was a way to inform players when they go into the Foundry editor itself that a mission they have has been removed by Cryptic for a TOU/EULA violation so that it's clearer to the author thaty a mission has been deemed 'inappropriate' by Cryptic for whatever reason.

Lastly, (and this is not rtelated to any comments made by the person I quoted), for those wanting a 'clear cut' definition of a 'Grind' or a 'Boost' mission from Cryptic; that never going to happen (and Cryptic would be foolish to do so.

Why? Lets say Cryptic gives a hard number: 'N', and says:

"Any map with 'N' or more combat group encounters on a map is considered a 'Grind'..."

Then you'll see a number of new missions up on the Foundry with '(N-1)' combat group encounters; loudly proclaiming - "See, not a Grind..."

So, it'll be handled on a case by case basis, and I'm sure if the author disagrees with an action, he/she can try and get some guidence on how to re-tool and get a mission who had action taken against it by Cryptic to be within trhe EULA, but that would be between Cryptic and teh Author who's mission they took action against.
Lt. Commander
# 129
04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
This only affects published missions. Since your Foundry character exists solely in its own universe, there is no reason to attempt to level it up. Especially since you cannot get XP from anything except the accolades and that will only get you up to Lt4.
thats not correct.

Once you actually finished the tutorial with your Foundry Toon you do get XP. Klingon Foundry toons get right away xp since there is no tutorial for them.
Lt. Commander
# 130
04-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post

Also, if you read Wish Stone's post that details the Cryptic 'No Grind' mission policy, she stated that the people who were banned from publishing anything further on the Foundry were those who republished their mission that Cryptic had taken down. So, for now, if you know you published a mission, and that mission dissappeared off the Foundry list; you might want to check your in game mail before attempting a re-publish.
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~WishStone
Closed Thread