Lt. Commander
# 131
04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
When a player 'reports a mission' - all that means is that Cryptic will look at it, and make a final determination as to whether said mission does indeed violate the TOU of the Foundry. If Cryptic determines it does, then they will take action they deem approprriate.

Also, if you read Wish Stone's post that details the Cryptic 'No Grind' mission policy, she stated that the people who were banned from publishing anything further on the Foundry were those who republished their mission that Cryptic had taken down. So, for now, if you know you published a mission, and that mission dissappeared off the Foundry list; you might want to check your in game mail before attempting a re-publish.

I DO think it would be good however if there was a way to inform players when they go into the Foundry editor itself that a mission they have has been removed by Cryptic for a TOU/EULA violation so that it's clearer to the author thaty a mission has been deemed 'inappropriate' by Cryptic for whatever reason.

Lastly, (and this is not rtelated to any comments made by the person I quoted), for those wanting a 'clear cut' definition of a 'Grind' or a 'Boost' mission from Cryptic; that never going to happen (and Cryptic would be foolish to do so.

Why? Lets say Cryptic gives a hard number: 'N', and says:

"Any map with 'N' or more combat group encounters on a map is considered a 'Grind'..."

Then you'll see a number of new missions up on the Foundry with '(N-1)' combat group encounters; loudly proclaiming - "See, not a Grind..."

So, it be handled on a case by case basis, and I'm sure if the author disagrees with an action, he/she can try and get some guidence on how to re-tool and get a mission who had action taken against it by Cryptic to be within trhe EULA, but that would be between Cryptic and teh Author who's mission they took action against.
And if I have a map with a city full of NPCs? Or a map where there's a battle visible outside a window?

I think the question really is whether there's a story to support combat or combat to support a story.

And there's no question with a map designed with an exploit to get an accolade in under 5 minutes, without having to manually kill enemies.
Lt. Commander
# 132
04-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
This only affects published missions. Since your Foundry character exists solely in its own universe, there is no reason to attempt to level it up. Especially since you cannot get XP from anything except the accolades and that will only get you up to Lt4.
Well, one of my Foundry characters is Lt8 and have received XP in the same way as a normal character as far as I can see.
Lt. Commander
# 133
04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikturscale View Post
I really do not see how grinding in a Player created mission is any different than grinding that Cryptic has written into the game. Is it really that different from Defend the Sectors, with the exception of the player created ones possibly being more exciting?
And what if you end up having thousands of those missions? It would be less of a problem if there were only a handful people that could and would make missions.

Just because Cryptic may allow themselves (a handful) to potentially make grindy missions that does not automatically apply to Foundry mission creation.

Just have a look at Mission Architect in City of Heroes to see what a huge amount of missions (> 70000) can do for your ability to find missions you may enjoy - if you are looking for good missions with a decent story.

There are a few things that I think Cryptic has done a bit better to deal with the situation than Paragon Studios has and I am sure they have had their eyes on what has happened there also to learn from that.
Lt. Commander
# 134
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Like I said before, if all you care about is rushing to end game, then the Foundry isnt for you.
The problem I see is that there is a very fine middle ground between rushing to endgame and stupid endless grind through exploration missions and sector block defenses to get to VA.

What I would ideally like is - play 1, 2, 3 or 4 hours of Foundry Content (not grind missions, real story content) each day and level up just as fast as if Cryptic had provided me with all that content with regular mission rewards.

The Daily gets us closer to that goal,but we are not there yet. But we absolutely should get there.
Lt. Commander
# 135
04-20-2011, 12:39 PM
I am actually no longer worried that missions would be banned just because they use stuff like NPCs shooting NPCs, or by a story-less mission.

The gray area has become a lot less gray with the Cryptic replies so far.

Can your mission be used to level faster then with a similar length mission then Cryptic? Then you can worry. Otherwise you seem safe.
Lt. Commander
# 136
04-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
What I would ideally like is - play 1, 2, 3 or 4 hours of Foundry Content (not grind missions, real story content) each day and level up just as fast as if Cryptic had provided me with all that content with regular mission rewards.

The Daily gets us closer to that goal,but we are not there yet. But we absolutely should get there.
Quote:
Can your mission be used to level faster then with a similar length mission then Cryptic? Then you can worry. Otherwise you seem safe.
Agreed, to all of this.
Lt. Commander
# 137
04-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiTataki View Post
Isn't it interesting how that can be applied to you, which is applied to me, which is applied to nagus?
Nope, it isnt very interesting at all. And my point is this: if you have a problem with people saying "not nice" things, then dont do it yourself or else your a hypocrite. And in case your wondering, no, I dont have a problem with it at all.
Lt. Commander
# 138
04-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Since the thread is now going up in flames, I will close at this time.

The questions concerning this topic (Grinding Missions in the Foundry) have been addressed in this posting.

Thank you.
Closed Thread