Lt. Commander
# 11
04-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Foundry - End User License Agreement
THE FOUNDRY TERMS OF USE

The Program ("Star Trek Online") contains certain design, programming and processing utilities, tools, assets and other resources ("The Foundry") for use with the Program that allow you to create customized new game levels and other related game materials for personal use in connection with the Program ("New Game Materials"). The use of the Foundry is subject to the following additional license restrictions:

New Game Materials may be created only if such New Game Materials can be used exclusively in combination with the online version of the Program. New Game Materials may not be designed to be used as a stand-alone product.

New Game Materials you create using the Foundry are subject to the following rules and restrictions:

Star Trek Properties are defined as including:
  • Star Trek - The Original Series
  • Star Trek - The Next Generation
  • Star Trek - Deep Space Nine
  • Star Trek - Voyager
  • Star Trek - Enterprise
  • Star Trek - The Motion Picture
  • Star Trek II - The Wrath of Kahn
  • Star Trek III - The Search for Spock
  • Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
  • Star Trek V - The Final Frontier
  • Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country
  • Star Trek - Generations
  • Star Trek - First Contact
  • Star Trek - Insurrection
  • Star Trek - Nemesis

New Game Materials may utilize the Star Trek Properties as provided by CBS and Cryptic Studios unless otherwise specified in the Prohibited Section below. You may use the names of characters (past or present) from the Star Trek Properties.

Prohibited Uses of the Star Trek Properties:
  • You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.
  • You may not use copyrighted content from the properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines).

Other Prohibited uses of New Game Materials published using The Foundry:
  • You may not use New Game Materials to endorse or oppose any political party, association (e.g., republican, democrat, candidates of otherwise) of any side of any issue.
  • You may not use New Game Materials to depict a likeness of any real person (historical or preset day.)
  • You may not use New Game Materials to advertise any business, products or services of any party.
  • You may not publish web URLs in your content.
  • You may not use New Game Materials to convey any profanity, vulgar, hate language, explicit sexual language, derogatory references to race, gender, religion, age, mental or physical impairment, obesity or sexual orientation, or reference any drugs (legal or illicit) or medication.
  • You may not make use of any copyrighted or trademarked materials of third parties, and only may use the Star Trek Properties as explicitly defined in this agreement, without irrevocable licenses granted specifically for that purpose
  • You may not use New Game Materials to infringe on the rights of privacy and publicity of third parties.

Cryptic Studios and CBS reserve the right to remove any New Game Materials for any reason at any time, without providing cause or recompense.

You agree that, all New Game Materials produced using the Foundry becomes the property of Cryptic Studios, to use as they see fit.

As a condition to your using the Foundry, you will not use or allow third parties to use the Foundry and the New Game Materials created by you for any commercial purposes, including but ton limited to selling, renting, leasing, licensing, distributing, or otherwise transferring the ownership of such New Game Materials, whether on a standalone basis or packaged in combination with the New Game Materials created by others, through any and all distribution channels, including, without limitation, retail sales and on-line electronic distribution. You agree not to solicit, initiate, or encourage any proposal or offer from amy person or entity to create any New Game Materials for commercial distribution. You agree to promptly inform Cryptic Studios in writing of any instances of your receipt of any such proposal or offer. If you decide to make available the use of the New Game Materials created by you to other gamers, you agree to do so solely without charge.
I'm tired of typing. Sorry for any errors that may have crept in. Why can't I copy and paste that?

Are you sure they were referring to the FOUNDRY EULA? Seems more likely that the people pulling the episodes might have been referring to the STO EULA/Terms of Service. with it's provisions against hacking and doing things that the game was not intended to do.

Also, this thread seems pretty close to violating the rule concerning "discussing specific acts of moderation".. I'd suggest that while this is indeed an issue of concern for all foundry authors, it might be best to rephrase the OP in more general terms. As a prospective author, I am interested to know if there IS a line that was crossed by these missions, where that specific line IS, so I don't cross it by mistake with my missions. How many spiders, for example, are a legitimate swarm? and how many are abuse?
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-18-2011, 09:15 PM
The problem is, there is no clarity here. Falling back into blanket statements while legally sound, is not very good practice.

I'm not arguing whether or not this is a valid map style. That they pulled the maps at all is indicative that they don't think so.

What I am actually asking for is better clarity on what is and is not acceptable. What has happened is they're being very quiet about it because it allows for the most safety and flexibility. They can't be held accountable if they don't make a direct statement.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing this as a quick sweep, and awaiting for some legal mumbo jumbo to help them cover their bases better.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-18-2011, 09:36 PM
The Foundry terms of use is a bit ridiculous. You can't use the first or last names of actors/writers/directors involved with ST? Umm, there have been hundreds of people who filled those roles. By that standard pretty much any common first name is unusable, as are many last names.

That language really should be changed to say you cannot refer to those people by name, or even use their whole name, but not that you flat out can't use their first or last names. It's not like people have a claim to the name "John" or "Patrick", nor even the last name "Stewart", for that matter.

I think one of my characters might have incidentally had the first name John, so I'm apparently in violation. Probably it's not going to be enforced like that, but still, the language should be made more clear.

Along with that they should add something about not making grind missions.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. What you seem to be forgetting is that regardless of what the EULA may say or not say, you had to agree to another set of rules before logging into the game. Those rules are called the Terms of Service, and those rules say you cannot use the game in a way that was not intended to gain an advantage over other players. So if someone agreed to those rules, and then directly went against them by creating a mission that was not how the Foundry was intended to be used, then they are responsible for their actions. And to quote you:

You freely admit that you do not think that grind missions were how the Foundry was intended to be used, so for someone who knows that to then do so is a direct violation of the TOS.
But its not getting an advantage on other players because in reality, all players have access to it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
While I agree that the missions where you spawn in a group of enemies, blow up and get 100 kills are obviously a misuse of the Foundry, I'm curious exactly where the line gets drawn.

I hope we get some very clear feedback from the dev team as to what is acceptable in terms of creating combat heavy missions so authors are free to push the envelope without crossing any lines.
That is the balance point as I see it. A mission where your destruction kills a bunch of enemies, thus hitting you with a level's range of +1 exps, I can indeed see that as a grind.

But the grey areas is here, a map where you go in and hunt squads of enemies, a little less clear. I would not call it a grind, others would. World building map-missions, like a RP building set, or a raceway might be legitimate, but there are those that would disagree and call them grinds. Are they?
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-18-2011, 10:31 PM
I agree that they need to make this clear before they can penalize anyone. And they should have some kind of review process to make sure that someone is in violation before they banned them from the foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
I agree that they need to make this clear before they can penalize anyone. And they should have some kind of review process to make sure that someone is in violation before they banned them from the foundry.
There should be an appeals process, or at least the opportunity to fix a mission if it it does violate the "unwritten eula." I'm sure most authors, in the choice between a few tweaks of a mission, or a smack on the nose with a eula violation and loss of the right to create, would certainly choose to make some changes.

Is there a foundry ombudsman for content?
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-19-2011, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. What you seem to be forgetting is that regardless of what the EULA may say or not say, you had to agree to another set of rules before logging into the game. Those rules are called the Terms of Service, and those rules say you cannot use the game in a way that was not intended to gain an advantage over other players.
Is the author getting an advantage over other players? If anyone, grind mission players are gaining an advantage over other players.

It is a gray area. They need to clarify it.

Personally, I don't care if grind missions exist or not. I would rather have this founrdy mission daily giving fair values of rewards.

If grind missions are not to exist, they just have to state that they are not. It is not that difficult.
If grind missions can exist, they absolutely need a way to filter them out at least, by allowing us to identify our mission as "grind" mission. (possibly also explicitely stating that "grind" missions not marked accordingly can be removed and is a breach of the EULA).

But of course, if they really wanted grind missions, they would just write one on their own and be done with it. No need for dozens of authors to devise their own.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-19-2011, 04:50 AM
How exactly do grind missions work anyway? Is it just that you fight a lot of enemies, or is it where you blow up constantly and your explosions kill the enemies?
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-19-2011, 05:22 AM
There is a very important paragraph in the Foundry EULA that you all seem to have forgotten...

"Cryptic Studios and CBS reserve the right to remove any New Game Materials for any reason at any time, without providing cause or recompense."

Done.. end of story. Like it or not, you agreed to that paragraph as part of the EULA.
Closed Thread