Lt. Commander
# 31
04-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
Is that going to be considered "exploiting" at some point and any mission where you have non-player kills is going to be removed and the author banned?
There might be a distinction here in that (I assume) you don't get SP for kills that NPC allies get entirely on their own. But if you chain BFAW and manage to get a couple hits in on dozens of ships, and then you get credit when allies kill them, is that a grind? I dunno. I also don't know what it takes to get "credit" for a kill in this situation. I'm sure someone has already found out though, or shortly will if there is anything to be gained by it. Where's the line between "fleet grind" and "epic space battle?" There probably isn't one.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-19-2011, 07:23 AM
One possible alternative explanation, especially since people mention a certain inconsistency in types of missions that were unpublished - some of these missions might simply have been flagged as EULA violating by concerned citizens, err users like you and me. And where too many flaggings happened, the system unpublished them and also automatically removed some user privileges automatically?

I can only guess. Either way, clarification on Cryptic's policy is required.
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
True, but what happens if they decide that having friendly NPCs in a fight is exploiting the system. A few missions (my first mission included) have you fighting among allies in a fairly good sized skirmish. There is a lot of action going on around you involving a fair number of enemies, some of which are going to be killed without any effort on the part of the player. Is that going to be considered "exploiting" at some point and any mission where you have non-player kills is going to be removed and the author banned?

I certainly am not advocating the dev team sit by and do nothing to prevent the Foundry from being abused. But when a situation arises, even if it seems so blatantly obvious that even a caveman should have seen it coming, there needs to be some communication indicating exactly what they feel the problem is and what they intend to do about it. I also think an author should be given an opportunity to voluntarily pull a mission, even if that author SHOULD have known better.

At the very least, I hope one of the community reps could let us know which missions were removed, what the penalty to the author was (are they perma-banned from making foundry missions or what?) and exactly what was within those missions that caused their removal (was it just the "blow up and kill enemies" missions or was it more than that).
The answer to Foundry moderation is the same for Forum moderation. File a ticket and have them explain in detail what the problem is. Then work it from there. The mods and GMs are not unreasonable if you approach them professionally.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
The answer to Foundry moderation is the same for Forum moderation. File a ticket and have them explain in detail what the problem is. Then work it from there. The mods and GMs are not unreasonable if you approach them professionally.
There is one flaw, of course - you are not allowed to discuss your communications with Cryptic. So they sitll have to make a public post to clarify it for everyone.

But I did follow your suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
And where too many flaggings happened, the system unpublished them and also automatically removed some user privileges automatically?
Given that people got EULA emails, it seems more like GM action, although that could also be automated. If there is some review flag tripwire though, then that seems like an infinitely bigger problem than a couple of silly fighter grinds. Forget grinding for SP; say hello to flag farming. If authors can flag other missions with bogus reviews and automatically lock other players out of the content creation system, getting missions depublished in the process, then that would be an incredibly stupid and broken mechanic.
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
There is one flaw, of course - you are not allowed to discuss your communications with Cryptic. So they sitll have to make a public post to clarify it for everyone.

But I did follow your suggestion.
If there are enough people making a professional valid case with the mods, then it will eventually be addressed.

We don't know if these "bans" are permanent or not. The Foundry is still in beta so some patience with the devs should be warranted while they themselves they to figure the system out. Even though Champs has a similar system, the way exploits can be created differ between the two systems.
Lt. Commander
# 37
04-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Quote:
The Foundry is still in beta so some patience with the devs should be warranted while they themselves they to figure the system out.
Some patience with paying customers should also be warranted, especially since there was no warning or notice that outright bans were coming, or what mission attributes triggered them. Removing the missions with a simple warning, rather than a ban hammer on all usage of the tool, would have been more than enough as a first response.
Lt. Commander
# 38
04-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Quote:
While I've never dealt with them personally, I have no doubt they are all stand up folks.

However, as Mustrum said, discussing moderation on the forums is clearly prohibited. I'd like someone from the community team to drop in here and let us exactly what happened and why. Since I wasn't directly affected by this the only info I know is what I've read on the forums from other authors. If the missions truly were removed without notice and the authors perma-banned from creating new missions, then that sets a very disturbing precedent for what may happen in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 39
04-19-2011, 07:56 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 40
04-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiTataki View Post
Recently, the grind missions have been unpublished and the authors were given a generic "EULA" violation warning.

Thank You Cryptic.
Closed Thread