Lt. Commander
I was thinking about this recently.

Although my test character has not left the tutorial mission, it seems that they are part of the game normally.

This has potential for abuse in at least a couple of ways, which should be addressed before the Foundry goes live.

The first is the autolevelling/gear assignment function.
Eventually, these characters will be given the ability to levelup without gameplay and recieve equipment without having to earn it ingame.
I assume this is logical, both because the tooltip mentions the function and because nobody would want to level a testing character.
What if someone created a instant VA or FA and then immediately went to Gamma Orionsis and started playing endgame content?
That would make a mockery of those players who actually played the game the normal way to level up.

The second is loot or EC.
What if these characters could create items, sell or mail them on to an actual character or get the EC transferred with the help of a fellow scam artist?

These really need to be looked into, because no doubt somebody will try to abuse the system this way.
And I bet those people are really angry that I'm pointing this out.

Therefore, Foundry test characters need to be "isolated" from the rest of the game.
No loot trading, no EC transfers, no gameplay with others (basically, solo only, not team).
Taken to an extreme, they should not even be allowed to take missions, thereby excluding them completely from gameplay.

This way, they can be used as they were intended, as project testers only.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-15-2010, 04:36 PM
You can not use a Tribble character at all with a Holodeck character, trade wise or anything like that.
Not as far as i know anyhow. Im not too sure anyone at Cryptic would be that dumb.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-15-2010, 04:46 PM
I think Tilarta is worried about when the Foundry goes live. Odds are we'll have that create character method still, since we need a guy to do simple tests with, plus who knows if various bits of game code might not require it.

And, yeah, it would make sense to deny that character the ability to trade, team, or mail things to others. And it should most likely be limited to playing the mission it is testing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-15-2010, 05:13 PM
I still say all missions should be made on Tribble, then once published they goto holodeck.
Keeps it alot safer and main server tidy.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-15-2010, 05:36 PM
I would suit me just fine to create on Tribble and Publish to Holodeck or keep Unrated and Non-reviewed content on Tribble. Then there would be less chance of Monkey-Business.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Your Tribble test Character and Foundry Create Character are entirely separate. You can't buy stuff and many interactions are disabled during Create Content. In fact, your create content character is isolated from other players.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Your Tribble test Character and Foundry Create Character are entirely separate. You can't buy stuff and many interactions are disabled during Create Content. In fact, your create content character is isolated from other players.
I think they are talking about when you go to the Test Character Selection Screen, and instead of clicking on Create Content to go to the Foundry, you can click on the character and Play and then you seem to get put in the normal tutorial. I haven't bothered to play past the tutorial, so I can't tell if it dumps you out in normal Tribble server STO space afterwards...
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
Therefore, Foundry test characters need to be "isolated" from the rest of the game.
They are. They live in their own instances of the game even in "play" mode. Rest assured Cryptic won't allow them to affect normal gameplay other than by aiding us to create and test Foundry missions.
Lt. Commander
# 9 As we look back
04-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Finding this post was a goldmine. look at the abuse that was allowed to hapten.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXVI View Post
Finding this post was a goldmine. look at the abuse that was allowed to hapten.

Well, aside from this being a necro-thread, there was never any abuse that happened.

Your Foundry character wasn't in the real universe.
Closed Thread