Lt. Commander
# 1 Beam-in vs. docking
04-19-2011, 07:25 AM
I have notice in the vast majority of cases that when the option to dock is given, a character actually beams-in instead.

A classic case is the K-7 space station. Even in The Original Series, the Enterprise never docked with the station, it orbited it and the crew beamed over.

This is the same case in-game with all space stations except Earth Space Dock. Our ships actually never physically dock with the station (where we would walk on through a gangway) - we always beam-in. In addition this option to 'dock' pops up quite some distance away from most stations making beam-in more logical. So any chance we could get all "Dock with station" action boxes fixed to say "Beam to station"? (except for ESD where we actually do sort of 'dock')

Thx!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
You also dock with DS9. When you exit the station, your ship spawns in the center of the pylons where it would likely have docked. Plus, DS9 has no transporter room (you beam in due to game engine limitations - all space to ground or ground to space transitions currently require the beaming animation).
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-21-2011, 01:59 PM
ESD has a diameter of 3,8 km

i would LOVE to see you walk all the way from your ship to the top of the station, of course they have very busy turbolifts and site to site transporters everywhere on that station!

and if you are the captain and need to see the admiral, why the hell would you WALK for an hour or longer to get there if you have a perfectly working transporter on your ship, ...even if you are docked!

i've seen people waiting minutes for the elevator instead of using the stairs right next to it,
even though they just want to get one level up or down

now for a 350m K-7 yeah sure you can walk that... take a turbolift, no problem.
DS9? old station with unreliable Transporters that sometimes make you end up in the Mirror Universe? no thx i walk!

But ESD? omg... ^^
Lt. Commander
# 5 Roll Play thing.
04-21-2011, 08:26 PM
A lot of people like a tuch roll playing in the game. I do. Would cool to see a Accolade for using space dock and beam in.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-22-2011, 12:39 AM
DS9 has a transporter in Ops. Must have been emergency use only on the show. Cardassians are not crazy enough to have a transporter room where their slave labor could possibly sabotage it.