Lt. Commander
# 41
04-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Ok Using some of this idea, I figured out what can be done different:

1. (Earth's Humans have become "fat and happy" but this has led to complacency where humans are "giving up exploration for incremental colonization and focusing more on the rightness of their own cultural view over all others"
Many younger members of the UFP have left, eschewing this "human-centric" Federation)

Ok trash this whole idea all together. 300 years later, and the Federation is fat and happy? Ok NO not happening on my watch. So lets have the galaxy a little smaller at this point, with the worlds in the center of the galaxy now open to being explored, and the Borg now an ally of the Federation, or even a member group. The Borg would have changed after this much time, and wouldn't be stuck in assimulation mode, but more in helping to advance the current tech levels of their now friends in the Federation.

2. (Vulcans have been disengaging from the Federation and have reunified with the Romulans, spending most of the last 3 centuries focused on creating a new "joined society" overseen by two "quasi-religious clerics who rule according to logic and what is best for their unified peoples, combining Romulan Machiavellian politics with Vulcan logic.)

Ok I can live with this idea, and it makes sence for it to end up like this. But I wouldn't havew the Vulcans leaving the Federation, maybe have a faction of Vulans break off to help the Romulans with a Joined society, and a sub-colony is made to bring the two sides together. But you would still have issues with the Remans even now, and they would still be making problems with the Romulans and now the Vulcans too.

3. (Bajorans have withdrawn from the Federation to become insular in order to focus on their religion and communing with the Prophets. Bajor is now "like a planet sized Tibet", handing over all temporal concerns to the Ferengi )

Nope hate this idea, they shouldn't be withdrawn from the Federation. Last we seen of them, they were still in the process to join the Federation. So have them as a member now, and have a storyline with the wormhole profets again, Maybe it would tie in with a new enemy that is coming, and it's not the Dominion.

4. (The Klingons have undergone a "massive reformation" moving away from their Viking-like brawling to become a "civilization of warrior mystics" akin to the Tang Dynasty), now flying "sleek" and "serene" ships and while they maintain diplomacy with the Federation they have returned to expanding the Empire via conquest. )

I would say the Klingons would pickup where the Borg left off, and invade Fluidic Space. They chould have over the years gotten newer weapons to help fight Species 8472, and they are winning against them. It could be something that opens the show, and the Federation is trying to find a peacful way to end the war Between the Klingons and Species 8472.

5. (The Cardassians have transformed into a "society of artists and philosophers" who now "walk the path" and are now dedicated to a philosophy with "the view of the galaxy as a place created solely to test the faithful.")

Might work but I say they should be added to the Federation, maybe affter being weaked so badly, they have become a target of other races, and they in the end seeked out the aid of the Federation to save them, then joined them later on. So now they are deeply rooted within the Federation.

6. (The Ferengi are no longer a "joke" but have become "quite powerful". Equality for females (including a female Nagus) is "the only concession they have made to progress" and with "the Greater Federation's cashless society as a restriction, the Ferengi Alliance is now able to shine in its full capitalist glory." The Ferengi are also making big bucks marketing the Bajoran religion around the galaxy, including pilgrimages to the Bajoran Wormhole.)

Drop the Bajorion angle, and just add the Fenigeni have now formed super merchant guiilds around the galaxy now, and the Grand Nagus is female. The Orions have joined the Ferengis as a business partner, and they both control much of the under world activities. Nothing doesn't happen that the Nagus doesn't know about, or lets happen.

7. (Starfleet has been reduced to a "mere peace-keeping force" protecting fringe worlds from aliens and from fighting each other, with starships are old and spread out too thin.)

Again bad idea, but I would say on the outter most outpost, they would have a few ships, and a event can keep off to get things started on the boarderline area.

I would say you can revisit the plots from old shows, like the Planet eatter, and the huge single cell, even the parasites that almost took over Starfleet. You can have a new Enterprise, but I would make it a brand new ship, and you can have the suvivor or suvivors from whatever ship on the line get asigned to the new ship, and they enter to stop whatever is going on.

Anyway, that's what I would be. Is it better? Maybe, but hey it's not as bad I think lol.
Lt. Commander
# 42
04-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Copyright issues notwithstanding, it would be interesting to explore.

I'm surprised more authors aren't trying to explore plot threads established in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 43
04-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Maybe a Star Trek:Section 31 series?
Lt. Commander
# 44
04-25-2011, 05:43 PM
The crew roster reads like a freak show. Turning a person into a cyBorg/hologram/ooze monster doesn´t make for an interesting character.
Lt. Commander
# 45
04-25-2011, 05:46 PM
I was thinking that too, about a Star Trek Section 31 series, but how do you keep that going week in and week out? I think what we need is a show that goes back to the roots of the 1st one, and gets started with a big bang. to get everyones attention. Like how the movie started, it was full of drama. That's what we need in a new show, lots of drama, mixed with comedy at times and current issues.
Lt. Commander
# 46
04-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
The crew roster reads like a freak show. Turning a person into a cyBorg/hologram/ooze monster doesn´t make for an interesting character.
Sarcasm noted: you just described some of my favorite characters (Data, Doctor, Odo) :p
Lt. Commander
# 47
04-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Sarcasm noted: you just described some of my favorite characters (Data, Doctor, Odo) :p
Well, i love those characters too. But not every member of a crew has to be "special" like that. And the cat-woman is just killing me. A billion bad cat jokes pop up in my mind.
Lt. Commander
# 48
04-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Cedric View Post
Ok Using some of this idea, I figured out what can be done different:
-nods-
This man has agreeable taste.

The only thing I really liked about the original pitch was the title. I've long wanted a show that made the future feel like more than just one ship/station. I'd like to have a show following a crew of federation privateers, going where needed. Section 31 could hire the crew sometimes, whatever you wanna do. I think that would let the writers have a lot more freedom over the stories than being stuck on a particular ship in a particular region of space.

Go ahead and rip off Firefly, Trek writers, I won't mind a bit. :p
Lt. Commander
# 49
04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
Well, i love those characters too. But not every member of a crew has to be "special" like that. And the cat-woman is just killing me. A billion bad cat jokes pop up in my mind.
That and the "curiosity gets the best of her" bit. That seemed very hokey.

However, Abrams has made weirder things work (like the female protagonist in Alias tortured into forgetting her personality and making a Star Trek film about a bald, crazy Romulan miner that worked - unlike Nemesis).
Lt. Commander
# 50
04-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
That and the "curiosity gets the best of her" bit. That seemed very hokey.

However, Abrams has made weirder things work (like the female protagonist in Alias tortured into forgetting her personality and making a Star Trek film about a bald, crazy Romulan miner that worked - unlike Nemesis).
Keep in mind, this was a pitch by Bryan "Superman Returns, X-Men" Singer's team, NOT by Abrams.