Lt. Commander
# 1 BORG... Aren't Scary
04-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi All,
I just wanted to say that I love this game, but the Borg are not really that scary!

I suppose the reason they are not, the reason that we kill cubes and spheres and what feels like legions of drones ... is they don't seem to adapt any more....

I'm just wondering if any work is being done to put the "fear" back into BORG ? Rather than the "borg" we have today...
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Absolutely agreed! And here is a shameless plug for just one of several threads floating around from people who would really like to see the Borg restored to a force to be reckoned with.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=208850
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Have the Borg be playable by PvP enthusiasts... that ought to solve the "Oh, another Borg Lol-cube" problem.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
Absolutely agreed! And here is a shameless plug for just one of several threads floating around from people who would really like to see the Borg restored to a force to be reckoned with.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=208850
Hi Steve,
was looking for this thread,,, thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Funny I was just thinking about this and then I saw this thread. I was actually making my thread about an idea for a new craftable weapon (shameless plug to follow) which is based on that weapon the borg had in the series which drained shields.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=212668

I thought it would be cool if we could craft that weapon but after I was done making the thread it occurred to me that the Borg in STO don't seem to have this weapon any more. Why not? That was an intimidating weapon! Also what happened to the cutting beam? The Borg always used that weapon on targets which they would immobilize with tractor beams.

Finally the Borg had crazy regeneration powers. Borg in this game don't.

Honestly; when I come up 1v1 against a Cube I should be intimidated and it should take a long time with some fancy flying to defeat it. When I see a Tactical Cube I should just wet myself and yell for help.

I'd like to see Borg cubes have a special procedure for defeating them rather than straight hull strength like any normal ship. Like Captain Picard in the movies; you would need to discover (or know beforehand because you'd been assimilated) the Cube's vital areas and take them out in order to have the opportunity to then destroy the Cube. This could be accomplished by performing sensor scans, by trail and error or some other method to be determined. Maybe your random shots would occasionally strike a vital part of the cube and your Tactical officer could alert you. Then you would be able to manually target weapons on that location (by mouseclicking it) and knock out say, a certain Borg interlink node which was nearest to the drones who control Propulsion systems.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-24-2011, 01:02 PM
ya know whats SAD!....no not that guess again...oh that is sad, but not what I was thinking...

I was playing in the Btran cluster and ya know the empty base that you look at the computer consoles (btw there should be broken or destroyed ones so looking for a computer actually makes sense) In a federation looking base I find out it that it was operated by the borg, and that they were tryn to make a race move powerful but not directly helping them and thier horse lost the race...I just walked away from the game and got a beer and watched a movie after that, it was sad to see.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-24-2011, 05:02 PM
lets make the Borg scary again, make the cubes like Jupiter classes, requiring coordinated fire the whole thing, and tac cubes dang near impossible.

and on the ground, energy weapon immunity after 3 shots, for the whole patrol/squad..... make them fun again, and in exchange GET RID OF THE 150 FOOT ASSIMILATION NEEDLES, for crying out loud 30 feet is bad enough, make the required distance point blank 1 foot..... plz
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-24-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm just gonna list suggestions.

Borg Ground:
  • Reduce assimilation distance to effectively point-blank range. Remove its ability to stack as well. But give it a flat minute duration and have it be un-debuffable.
  • Increase the strength of Borg shields
  • Allow Medical Drones to restore shields and repair Drones more frequently. If the shield repair on already thick shileds proves too much, drop this, but I've never seen a medical drone do anything other than waste space. They need a function.

Borg Space
  • Create a nrew Borg ship type; bump up Spheres to battleship status, leave Probes and frigates and place this new ship in the middle
  • Borg Cubes should only ever spawn in scenarios where a five-man team can fight them; STF's would be best for this. I say this because it's not unreasonable to assume that as the Federation has grown more technologically advanced, it could easily require less than a fleet now to stop a regularCube, but it should still require a team effort. A Cube should not be soloable by any but the most hardcore min/max players (%0.001 of the population).
  • Reserve a Tactical Cube for a CE-type Fleet action. Tac Cubes are the uppermost echelon of Borg combat tech and should require no less than the most organization-oriented mission type in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-24-2011, 06:16 PM
so true...farm your borg accolades while you have the change cause they need to be scary, otherwise wolf 359 makes no sense at all...
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
i still think the borg shields should adapt, on everything except infected drones(they are not full assimilated/ they are the needle launcher). it was the borgs only thing in ground they had, adapt and the only thing they could not adapt to was physical objects(swords fists rifles, bullets) the reason they could not adapt to these i think is that the borg

A- still need to interact with physical objects, even to assimilate
B- the technology of their shields would likely have to be changed completely.