Lt. Commander
# 11
04-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Is this guy actually playing STO? "robust PvP," "lots of canon material," "intuitive interface," "hardly any learning curve."

None of that accurately describes STO.
Lt. Commander
# 12 Who You Trying to Fool?
04-20-2011, 07:19 AM
The impression I get from this article is someone that, either, hasn't played STO before or someone that took a very long break then played it again. We can all agree that STO has come a long way. And it's fairly resonable to assume that first-timers would be impressed with where STO is now. Regardless, those of us that haven't stopped playing aren't going to agree with the statements the reviewer has made. I have to agree with players pointing out some of the misinformation stated as well; the KDF backstory is definately off. With all that said, it's obvious what the purpose of the article is for: Help bring back previous players & get new players into STO. Will it work? To be honest, unlikely (still need more content). But hey, I've been wrong, once or twice, before :p .
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-20-2011, 07:49 AM
A negative rating for failing to control a ship with your friends? Annoying bugs? Did this guy play the game or did he just write his review by reading the forum?
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-20-2011, 08:11 AM
This guy never played this game.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmor_Branon
The impression I get from this article is someone that, either, hasn't played STO before or someone that took a very long break then played it again. We can all agree that STO has come a long way. And it's fairly resonable to assume that first-timers would be impressed with where STO is now. Regardless, those of us that haven't stopped playing aren't going to agree with the statements the reviewer has made. I have to agree with players pointing out some of the misinformation stated as well; the KDF backstory is definately off. With all that said, it's obvious what the purpose of the article is for: Help bring back previous players & get new players into STO. Will it work? To be honest, unlikely (still need more content). But hey, I've been wrong, once or twice, before :p .
He admitted to being someone who took a very long break then played it again. What put me off is the complete "cheerleader" routine he played, and his plethora of misinformation about STO content. See my last post for a bit more info. These aren't things said by someone who's coming back to the game - it's said by someone not playing STO at all, someone who doesn't know what those things actually mean, or someone who's outright lying.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-20-2011, 09:47 AM
"The cheerleader routine" is an excellent description of this article. It's advertisment, plan & simple. The tone of the article is what new players, or returning players, would have (as demostrated by several of my fleetmates). But the longtime players know better. I need not get into how this review really came about.

NOW, correct me if I'm wrong, but there's nothing in game or forum regs that keep the STO community from being completely honest ... is there? As far as I'm concerned, Cryptic can continue to advertise any way they see fit ... it isn't going to stop me from telling a new player the truth.