Lt. Commander
Hi all,

I have two question concerning the Foundry and it's rules. I wrote STO/Atari, but they said that they could not discuss legal matters and suggested I consult the EULA (which doesn't clearly answer all my questions) or here (which seems odd, gven that any answers here would not be official policy), so here goes.

I'm writing a Foundry mission, and I'm aware that we cannot use any characters from any of the series. However, are we allowed to use their last names? I wanted to pepper the mission with new characters whose last names are from the various lower rank and obscure Trek characters from the various Trek series. A little in joke/homage.They might be inferred as descendants or simply happen to have last names like Kelso, Lesly, Ogawa, ect. I want to stress that these are not the actual characters from any Trek series, just their last names. Also, no mention in pop up dialogue is made referencing them as being related to anyone. It's simply the last names.

My second question is in regard to profanity. I know profanity is not allowed, but I just want to double check. There is a quote I want to use from a previous Trek series: "Let's get the hell out of here" - Kirk from "City on the Edge of Forever." Are hell or damn permissible, and I guess that brings up a third question. Are we allowed to quote dialogue from any of the Trek series?

If anyone can answer any of these questions, let me know what is ok and what is not. I don't want to violate any rules.
thanks
Quills
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-19-2011, 03:35 PM
You may TALK about the official characters all you want, you just cant SHOW them in your mission. So yes, you may in fact use their names. As far as naming NPCs, it should be ok to use either the first or last name of official characters, just not both, and just as long as that NPC isnt actually supposed to BE that official character.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-19-2011, 05:17 PM
I have a question that kindof goes along with this. Are episode titles off limits? For example I have a mission title 'The Changing Face of Evil' a ds9 episode title