Lt. Commander
# 1 The EULA and Drugs
04-20-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm hoping I can get a clarification here: i the EULA, it's stated that:
Quote:
You may not use New Game Materials to convey any profanity, vulgar, hate language, explicit sexual language, derogatory references to race, gender, religion, age, mental or physical impairment, obesity or sexual orientation, or reference any drugs (legal or illicit) or medication.
My question/clarification need is about the blued section of this bullet point. First, what exactly is the definition of drug in this document? For example, does this include alcohol? Secondly, Star Trek is filled with a great number of drugs or alcohols, like Ketracel-white or Blood Wine. Are these also things we're not allowed to reference?

For the medication, should we assume that you mean only real-life medication?

I'm not trying to be dense on purpose, but it feels like the EULA is a bit vague on this point.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-20-2011, 01:47 AM
I'm pretty sure that, "reference any drugs (legal or illicit) or medication" is exactly what it sounds like.

You're splitting hairs unnecessarily. Drugs means real life drugs and alcohol. Drugs means drugs. I doubt that you'd get in trouble for having your ships' doctor mention off-handedly that he gave a crewman a mild painkiller for their injuries, but if any of your NPCs starts talking in-depth about getting drunk or high, regardless of what the substance is, then that is likely a drug reference and will get you in trouble.

I'm going to go out on a limb and state my belief that you probably don't want to publish that "420" themed mission either.

Now Romulan Ale, Blood Wine and Ketracel-white are imaginary drugs, but they are also a part of Star Trek lore. Once again, as long as you merely mention them, and don't have an NPC expound at length on how high they got using those items last night, I'm certain that you'll be ok.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Made up drugs
04-20-2011, 02:20 AM
Drugs that are not real like in William Shatner's Tech World series can be used. Real drugs like Aspirin cant be used.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
Drugs that are not real like in William Shatner's Tech World series can be used. Real drugs like Aspirin cant be used.
Aspirin is a generic term and has been out of Trademark since the Treaty of Versailles.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-20-2011, 03:06 AM
Ketracell White is, I imagine, neither legal nor illicit, as it is primarily non-existing. :p

A question might be if creating a mission about some fictional addictive substance and dealing with the consequences could be problem... It is kinda a Startrek staple to take such a real world issue and hide it between a few fictional things (black-white or white-black?)...
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2011, 04:55 AM
If you look at how ST handled things like addiction or other controversial ideas, it tended to do so by using fictional parallels. For example, unlike in say Babylon 5, where Garibaldi had a drinking problem, in ST what we saw instead was Barclay's holodeck addiction. Instead of drugs we had "The Game". So, in general we never saw any serious alcohol or drug problems. Although, Kirk, etc, had too much to drink in ST6.

Now if you want to say someone showed up to duty intoxicated and that's why he's in the brig...I'd say if it's part of the story it probably would be ok. On the other hand you could just say the individual missed his duty shift due to being in the holodeck. It's safer, and also more closely reflects Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-20-2011, 05:43 AM
I think the rationale behind the rule is largely with imitable acts.

Hence... aspirin, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, even a direct reference to caffeine... all technically out.

Meanwhile... Romulan Ale, Ketracel White, etc, are in. Because they aren't real and hence aren't drugs. (You may want to avoid treating them too heavily as drugs.)

Cordrazine is in. Cortisone is out.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
Aspirin is a generic term and has been out of Trademark since the Treaty of Versailles.
It's not a trademark issue here. It's an ESRB issue designed to keep the game appropriate for young teenagers.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-20-2011, 05:54 AM
use common sense.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-20-2011, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think the rationale behind the rule is largely with imitable acts.

Hence... aspirin, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, even a direct reference to caffeine... all technically out.

Meanwhile... Romulan Ale, Ketracel White, etc, are in. Because they aren't real and hence aren't drugs. (You may want to avoid treating them too heavily as drugs.)

Cordrazine is in. Cortisone is out.
Seems a bit naff to me. Putting Aspirin, Tea and Coffee in the same category as Heroin?