Lt. Commander
# 1 Wander - Space
04-20-2011, 11:44 AM
I recently published my first mission on Holodeck (Prototype) and as part of the feedback someone suggested adding ships in my first space map - sounded like a great idea.

So i have been trying for quite a few hours now to get wander to work on the various ships i have added to this map and so far all the ships will do is either spin around or move in tiny short bursts then stop (if at all).

I even went so far as to create a wander test map solely published to try and test various slider settings - all with no joy.

Is wander on space maps broken currently?
If not whats the correct settings to use.

All i am wanting to acheive is a few ships moving through the map at a constant pace. Nothing too fancy as they are just intended to ambient ship traffic.

Any help / ideas much appreciated!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
on ground maps they do not wander until you publish, proly same thing
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
on ground maps they do not wander until you publish, proly same thing
Yeah was aware of that for ground and assume that it may be the same for space, thats why i have published a space wander test map. But still having some issues.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-20-2011, 12:37 PM
That's weird, because I made my ships wander earlier. They were happily flying about during a test, without it being published!

What settings are putting them at? In order my settings are: 30, 20, 20, 40, 5, 3
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveUK
That's weird, because I made my ships wander earlier. They were happily flying about during a test, without it being published!

What settings are putting them at? In order my settings are: 30, 20, 20, 40, 5, 3
Will have to check - but can i ask, have you left jobs as false and idle settings at default?
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Did you skin these ships? The base class of the ship you skinned will effect how it moves. For example, if you put a fighter squad on the map and then cover each fighter with a battleship, they're still going to move like fighters, and it'll look really weird. That might be the source of the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terral
Did you skin these ships? The base class of the ship you skinned will effect how it moves. For example, if you put a fighter squad on the map and then cover each fighter with a battleship, they're still going to move like fighters, and it'll look really weird. That might be the source of the problem.
No all standard freighter and shuttle NPC contact ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terral
Tried your settings just a moment ago and very little movement at all. In my own tests i tried various settings but could only manage a tiny bit of movement. Very odd.

Is there a wander bug for certain space maps?
For my published mission i am using the Andoria space map.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-21-2011, 08:33 AM
I found the same thing, though I never tried publishing. I added a freighter with Idle off and wander on, and no matter how I tweaked the settings it just moved just very slowly and spun around on the spot.

It was as if the frieghter was repeatedly being given different waypoints to go to, but that those were changing faster than the ship could turn. It would turn and then move a little, then immediately turn in a different direction and start again. The net result was that it hardly moved anywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zutty View Post
I found the same thing, though I never tried publishing. I added a freighter with Idle off and wander on, and no matter how I tweaked the settings it just moved just very slowly and spun around on the spot.

It was as if the frieghter was repeatedly being given different waypoints to go to, but that those were changing faster than the ship could turn. It would turn and then move a little, then immediately turn in a different direction and start again. The net result was that it hardly moved anywhere.
yes thats exactly what i found too - oddly though i've been getting it with all NPC ships i've tried...