Lt. Commander
If a player is already inside the radius of a place marker before the objective to reach that marker is available, then the marker will not activate and lazy players will assume the mission is broken. Since there's not currently a way to hide the place markers until they're needed, this is quite a problem in space missions. I was going to try to place an invisible object to activate instead, but that puts giant "OBJECT" plastered on the map and looks bad.

Steps to reproduce:

1. set an objective of some type besides reach (Talk to contact, for instance)
2. create a second objective to reach a place marker
3. Set the place marker and the contact at the same coordinates, and make the place marker large (More than 10km).
4. Play test the map.

The only way to get the marker to trigger is to leave the area and then reenter it, but it doesn't seem like many players think of this. It really becomes an issue with combat in space maps because the battle will usually cause some degree of movement if it's even a little difficult, and if the player is not good at space combat, they can travel pretty large distances.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Just out of curiosity, if you've designed the mission so the players are already at the spot you want them to reach, why have the reach objective at all? Just go from Talk to Contact to whichever objective is after the reach marker objective.

If it's for triggering special effects or something else like that, set those to trigger when the 'Talk to Contact' objective is completed instead.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherghost
Just out of curiosity, if you've designed the mission so the players are already at the spot you want them to reach, why have the reach objective at all? Just go from Talk to Contact to whichever objective is after the reach marker objective.

If it's for triggering special effects or something else like that, set those to trigger when the 'Talk to Contact' objective is completed instead.
They aren't supposed to be at that spot, but some people are ending up there because their fight with the enemy ships are dragging them all the way there. In the earliest iterations of the mission, it was to defeat the enemies and then rendezvous with the shuttle with the "Talk to Contact" objective. Problem is, shuttles are very small, so you have to get absurdly close. Then, I changed it to just approaching near the shuttle and having a popup appear, but people couldn't find the radius. So after that, I made the radius big, and now people are getting into the radius too early and breaking it. I don't know what the deal is for them, if it's just struggling at Elite difficulty or having their weapon power too low or just plain not learning how to play yet (since it's a fairly low level mission).

This is only affecting a handful of people, but it's very frustrating to me to get bad reviews over a bug in the foundry. It clearly is a bug at any rate, whether this step is necessary or not. After all, having the player spawn inside a reach marker will cause it to go off. Why shouldn't this?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-21-2011, 01:43 PM
This is a limitation, not a bug. It's not unique to the Foundry.

Also, having a player spawn inside a marker doesn't always work, either.