Lt. Commander
I am creating a mission where at the end you confront an alien. There are a few ways I can approach this but there is one way in particular I want to end this episode, so here is my question... If I created a bridge to have this final scene in, would this completly mess up my entire episode? Could anyone go along with it knowing their bridge doesn't look anything like the one I create? I played a mission where this happened and it worked for me. I would just like some suggestions on this before I publish then get blasted in reviews. Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-19-2011, 08:08 PM
IMO, the bridge is the most iconic place in Trek, and its a real shame Cryptic has designed the game in a way that they cant use it in their missions. So for me personally, I'd love to see it. But there are going to be some people who will of course say "ZOMG thats not mi bridge!!!!!!111". So your not going to get a definitive answer to this question. Do what YOU think feels right
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I struggled with this on the mission I'm working on. In the end I decided to make it so I beamed over to another ship's bridge. Unfortunately, this is not really possible in all situations. Using another bridge that isn't the players could be kind of weird. Knowing the Foundry's limitations, I'd be willing to "suspend disbelief" as part of the story, but I don't know how other people would react. A lot of people simply have no clue about the current limitations of the Foundry and how much effort we have to go through to work around them.

The bridge system definitely leaves something to be desired, but it really would take some effort on the part of Cryptic to solve it. The problem is each bridge layout is different, so you're going to need to place the enemies, interacts, and people working at consoles/etc in different places. In order for us to use the specific player's bridge, a completely modular system would have to be put in place, where you have certain predefined "slots" on each bridge where you can spawn certain NPCs, certain consoles that can be set to interact with, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Do what several authors I've seen do, use the ready room and invisible wall it off. Not seeing a few trophies is a lot different than seeing some other bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Bridge in mission.
04-19-2011, 09:39 PM
If you want a bridge scene in your mission then add it. Just make sure it gives something to the story... have NPC working and give the player an understanding of why he is there.
I put a bridge in my mission "Siege of YR318", because I felt it was an important part of the story I was trying to tell.

Is your mission up for Testing yet?
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2011, 04:13 AM
If you can't do something the correct way with the current Foundry tools, I wouldn't do it at all. Look for alternatives. If you don't find any alternatives, then drop the idea and make a new mission until the tools offer that functionality.

This is what I feel distinguishes the best Foundry content - the recognition that some ideas can't be represented.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-20-2011, 04:13 AM
If you can't do something the correct way with the current Foundry tools, I wouldn't do it at all. Look for alternatives. If you don't find any alternatives, then drop the idea and make a new mission until the tools offer that functionality.

This is what I feel distinguishes the best Foundry content - the recognition that some ideas can't be represented.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-20-2011, 05:19 AM
The thing with the bridge is really difficult. I would say, no, don't do it. The bridge of a starship is too iconic.
I do hope Cryptic will find a way to allow using the players bridge soon as I believe the bridge is one of the most important rooms in Star Trek (and then maybe allow us to use Captain's Quarters or the ship's lounge).

But does it have to be the bridge?

How about, some other room on your ship? The transporter room perhaps? Maybe the aliens beam directly to the arboretum because there are plants there. Or, perhaps, you could use the battle bride because main bridge is damaged or something?
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-20-2011, 05:42 AM
Interiors are already not consistent thanks to the TOS pack and will only get less consistent.

I'd suggest always finding a third party location to host ship interior sequences, either the enemy ship or a friendly ship in the area.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-20-2011, 05:45 AM
BTW, for example: I had a Foundry mission on Tribble that had you reclaim "your ship" from the docking bay on DS9.

I'd never consider remaking that exactly. Either the action will get shifted to DS9 or I'll have you aboard someone else's ship.

I just think it's unwise to represent someone else's ship interior, even just the ready room or transporter room, which may not resemble the stock version.