Lt. Commander
# 1 The Defense of Trill
04-24-2011, 08:09 PM
The Defense of Trill
Version 1.01
Faction: Federation
Level: No restrictions
Starting location: Kei System, Sirius Sector Block
estimated time: 45 minutes-1 hour. Possibly longer if you explore and find everything to read and see.

I present to you my first foundry work, entitled "The Defense of Trill".

Premise: The Klingons attack colony worlds on the edge of Federation space to draw Starfleet's forces away from the Sirius sector. Then in a daring suprise attack, the Klingon Empire launches a massive assault on the planet Trill, in an effort to demoralize the Federation and occupy a strategically located world. Even the existence of the valued symbionts is threatened. All nearby ships have been scrambled to respond, yourself included. The defenders are outnumbered and outmatched, but you have to find a way to defend the planet before the Klingon Empire occupies it and digs in so deep it becomes impossible to remove them from Trill.

What this mission IS:
-A decently long story driven mission
-A mission created based around the ongoing Federation-Klingon war
-A mission designed with the goal of providing a realistic challenge but not one that should cause frustration
-A mission with (hopefully) epic space and ground battles
-inclusive of both space and ground combat, as well as story driven dialogue, and optional background information via dialogue.
-Created largely from scratch, with both entirely custom made interior maps and exteriors (cityscape), trying to stretch the creativity the foundry allows to the limit.
-For people who don't mind sitting down for a while to play a mission (rather like the featured episodes)
-For People who enjoy missions driven by story, rather than just to blow things up
-the product of many hours of hard work, not simply thrown together overnight

What this mission is NOT:
-A grind
-for people who simply want to go in and blow things up for 5 or 10 minutes
- For people who don't enjoy dialogue
-For those not interested in story
-designed with the idea that "hard=fun". There are large scale battles, but you will not be single-handedly defeating the Klingon Empire. You will have allies where appropriate (and it is often appropriate)
-somehow perfect (unfortunately)

Current Issues:

-I've had several reports of the foundry not spawning the #3 Trill Senator. I have not been able to re-create this (yet), but I will look into it this week. If you have this issue I would appreciate it if you would send a mail to @adm.revan and explain the details to me so I can gather the best info possible.

You can find the mission by searching for "The Defense of Trill". Trill can be reached via the Kei System in the Sirius Sector Block.

The mission should take an estimated 45 minutes-1 hour to complete, possibly more if you take your time and find everything there is to see and read. The mission contains both Space and Ground combat, significant dialogue (though most of it is entirely optional, with only the most important story centric dialogue being mandatory). It includes several entirely built-from scratch locations, and is the product of MANY hours of work.

I would greatly appreciate any and all (useful) feedback to continue to improve upon the project. I've not spent this much time to simply stop improving it now that it's live.

Last but not least, I hope you all enjoy it!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Because a few people have inquired:

I want to thank everyone who played this before the foundry bug at the beginning of the month. I appreciate the feedback and made some adjustments based on initial feedback. However, this mission was affected by the republisihing bug, and I apologize to everyone who played it after and couldn't advance. It was supposed to have been withdrawn the evening of the 1st, but somehow a lot of people were still able to play it afterwards and got it in the bugged form. All the most recent reviews (the single stars) are a result of this, so those who play in future please keep that in mind.

That being said, I have withdrawn it until such a time as It is fixed. I republished and tested this evening and it still appears bugged. I understand the foundry issue may still be occuring until the patch that is schedule for release today, so I'll try again this evening.

I've gone through the mission in the foundry editor and nothing in the story flowchart or maps looks amiss, so I'm at a loss for how to fix it at this point.

I'd appreciate any insight, if its not just a case of needing to wait for the patch.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I am interested in giving this one a go and any other Trill missions if you know of any. But I cannot find this mission in the list, is it active on the liver server?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsey
I am interested in giving this one a go and any other Trill missions if you know of any. But I cannot find this mission in the list, is it active on the liver server?
It was withdrawn to try and stem the flow of negative reviews resulting from the publishing bug. I have worked on it a little this afternoon, and have just republished it as version 1.03.

I've tweaked the difficulty of some ground groups, changed some positioning for the ground portions, and tweaked some locations in the final portion to hopefully further alleviate the issue people were having where they would accidentally kill contacts needed to progress.

Feedback is welcome as always.